Decision to be made. Please Help

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JJ, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi All,
    I m looking for advice as I ve got myself in a pickle. About a year ago I started air rifle shooting having had a love for it as a kid. Anyway, the wife chirped up that she would like to come along. So after trying a few guns I ended up with a HW100 and the wife an Air Arms S410. Anyway after a short time, during the harsh winter last year, the wife gave up shooting (which is OK by me as a bit of bloke time is great). Since then I ve been bit by the Field Target bug and I m going into my first comp real soon. The problem is this, my HW100 started throwing pellets all over the place a few weeks ago and after being looked at by a gunsmith is on it s way back to Hull Cartridge. So since then I ve been shooting with the Air Arms S410 and for FT it s pretty good. But now I've getting serious about FT I want to upgrade the scope to a from a Hawke 8-32x56 to a Big Nikko. So to fund this some thing has got to go. I have single shot magazine s on both rifles so both can work in FT but which way would you go? AA S410 or HW100? and why?
    If I had my time over again I wouldn t have bought rifles so quickly (which is the advice everyone gives) but here I am- the cautionary tale. I d like to get as many opinions on this as possible as I don t want to make another U Turn later down the line although I do expect to upgrade the rifle at some point.
    Many thanks
    J.J.

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    carbine or classic

The 410 is it the carbine version?
    You may find that shot count will be a bit low.
    The 400 classic is the normal choice for beginer's in ft,not sure what the shot count is like on the hw but both rifle's are very capable of hitting target's in ft.

3. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    It's an S410 Classic

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Both of those guns are fine for FT.
    Pick one and go for it!
    Atb,
    Alec.

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    My vote would be HW100. Mine got me into AA grade, though I now shoot a Steyr.
    It was standard apart from a GinB stock and a UK Neil muzzle break.

Just a thought as yours is going back to HC now, but I always knew when my barrel wanted a clean as it started throwing pellets wide. 3 or 4 pull throughs and it was back on song. It groups as well as my LG100 at 55 yards. Maybe it's something as simple as that?

The 410 is the multi shot version. You really want a single shot pellet tray, as it will be a pain removing the mag between lanes as per the rules. The shot count is about 90 on my full length .177 HW100. I guess 100+ would be possible with tuning.

6. knighthawk

knighthawk New Member

Club:
    Ecclesfield Rifle & Pistol club
    i use 2 x HW 100s there fantastic guns..I have the superb single shot adaptor fitted in one ..they will match any gun out there for accuracy regardless of price..mine like RWS Superfields in 4.51

Attached Files:

7. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    single shot

The 410 is the multi shot version. You really want a single shot pellet tray, as it will be a pain removing the mag between lanes as per the rules. The shot count is about 90 on my full length .177 HW100. I guess 100+ would be possible with tuning.[/QUOTE]

He did point out in his origonal post that he had single shot adapter's for both rifle's:rolleyes:
    I'm glad that someone with knoledge of both rifle's has pointed him in the right direction:)

8. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    I think that you chose well, you have two of the best guns available for under a grand.
    Simple answer is pick which ever you like most, as neither of these guns will let you down. Shot count on a s410 classic in 177 is about 70 good shots more than enough for a GP.

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Could ?

You could sell em both and get an EV2 ??? HOLLY:):D