decision desicions

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by onyl1gun, Nov 8, 2017.

1. onyl1gun

onyl1gun Banned

considering delving into the world of spring things. choice of three as far as I can see:
    1. hw 97
    2. LGU
    3. TX200

Pro's/Cons. Any clear favourite?

2. Fishmaster

Fishmaster New Member

I can only comment on the TX200 in .177. It truly is fantastic to shoot and way more accurate than I will ever be. I had a shortlist of the three you mention, went shopping and shouldered all three. For me the TX stood out a mile. Comfortable in the aim, not pellet fussy and as I said accurate. First time out I was hitting golf balls at 50 metres. Never managed that before.

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Don't ever shot at golfballs !!!!!! the pellets could come back almost as fast as they went out. :eek::eek:

4. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    TX is a joy to work on.

Strip and reassemble in 10minutes.

5. leelogan

leelogan New Member

Club:
    herewardft
    Tx200

As already mentioned tx really easy and quick to strip and adjust cheers

6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    You'll not be disappointed with any of those 3 TBH. Shoulder all of them & choose the one the fits best & feels "right"!:lev

LGU best "out the box" but trigger nothing special.
    HW least hold sensitive but can suffer zero shift?
    TX best if you like tinkering/customising/tuning

7. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    I have recently re acquired the bug for a springer. Having had a couple of TX's one standard and one carbine, can say both were lovely and as stated a pleasure to work on and shoot.
    I have seen a couple of threads discussing the merits of springers - just wondering when a list of the best comes up I rarely see a AA Pro sport - my current model. It is a beautiful piece of work and shoots with great accuracy (within the limits of the owner) and faultlessly. Just wonder why they are never quoted. They can be sourced 2nd user at the same money as a used TX - but they don,t seem to get a mention. I there something that I am missing?

8. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

Fair point , but he's probably going to be ok at 50 m.

A long time ago at our local range, we used to be allowed shoot proper bullets at wooden bowling skittles.
    That didn't last very long .
    I think someone had ricochet get too close for comfort , and a lesson was learned .

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

It's a puzzle isn't it ?
    I prefer the mechanical set up of the prosport to the tx/ hw .
    They look just fine too.

Maybe people find them just a little bit harder / awkward to operate ...........oh , from new ,are they a bit more expensive too ?

There's a rumour that they are a bit more difficult to fiddle with.............we'll have to see about that .

10. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Fair comments all - re the operation, the square edged cocking lever is not as comfortable on the hand as the round section TX etc - plus they do need a positive action right through the cycle to the final click/"crunch"; have miss-cocked mine a couple of times - but from memory did the same with the TX till I got used to it. Haven't opened up the internals as no need as yet - trigger is easy to set up etc and assumed to be the same/similar to the TX ("CD" Trigger)! I think there has been a lot more tuning activity around the LGU, HW and TX due to their popularity/longevity etc. Strange how some guns make it and others fall by the wayside as it were.

11. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

My experience of the Pro Sport:

When I started shooting HFT I had a full length TX200. Felt like I couldn't miss (although I regularly did). But it handled well, especially when held up the peg (how I always shoot prone) and was lovely to shoot.

Then I got it into my head that a Pro Sport would be better for me. I'd been told it handled better as the weight was further back etc which would help with my standing shots. So I sold my TX to a friend and put the money towards a second hand pro sport.

It did feel like it handled better than the full length TX (to my inexperienced hands anyway). The cocking lever and effort was no problem at all. I didn't even notice the square edged cocking lever and I would regularly shoot 150-200 pellets in a session. Internals are almost identical except for the compression cylinder. Pistons/springs/trigger unit etc are interchangeable. Also (and most importantly), it looks glorious which enough reason to own one anyway.

Problem is I couldn't hit anything with it. I think it was a combination of 2 things. Firstly (and I don't care how many people say I'm wrong) it definitely had more muzzle flip than the TX. I shot them side by side and the difference was noticeable. This could be fixed by adding some weight to the end of the barrel but that would risk ruining the looks. Second problem for me was the flat bottom to the stock. This is purely down to my technique, where I rest the bottom of the stock in the curve between finger and thumb. The TX has a nicely rounded bottom which fits to that curve. The pro sport has a flat bottom which sits awkwardly for me.
    I know plenty of people prefer flat bottomed stocks, or fitting hamsters so this wouldn't be an issue.

Short stroking is meant to be difficult on the pro sport because one of the screws isn't man enough for the short strong spring. Mine are all standard so didn't have this issue.

In the end the fix for me was getting a TX200HC. Feels much nicer to me in the prone position and has the benefits of the more rearward weight (I got both unsupported positionals last week which I hadn't done before). I'll be using this until the Daystate Midlands series is finished. Then I'm going to get to a range with all three (pro sport, full length, HC) and do a proper test

12. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    I think the moral of the thread is try all the makes that you can, don't discount anything until you have handled one yourself and then pick the one that suits you best for your chosen discipline.

Apologies to the Original poster as I seem to have inadvertently hi jacked your thread - good luck with your pursuit of the "perfect springer for you"

kr

13. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Tx200 would be my clear favourite but I am very biased

All 3 are easy to work on. The LGU and TX200 have 25mm pistons. The hw97 has a 26mm piston as standard. Some people say they can tell the difference but I can't. The LGU and TX200 have bearings on the rear of the piston as standard. The hw97 is solid metal. Personally I think this only affects the cocking stroke and not the firing cycle but I might be wrong.
    LGU and TX200 have rotating pistons, HW97 does not. Again I can't really tell the difference but there might be one.

TX200 and HW97 triggers I would say are equal out of the box if you take the time to set them up properly. The LGU can be just as good but needs the £20 trigger upgrade first.

If you are interested in tuning them, all three have the basic tunes available for roughly the same price (new guides/springs/short stroke etc). If you want mega tuning then I think there is more available for TX200 and LGU becuase of the rotating piston.

Stocks. I don't think any of them have adjustable stocks as standard.

TX200's and HW97's have probably won every recoilling class going at some point. Not sure if the LGU has had the same success yet. An HW97 scored higher than the entire open class at round 2 of the Daystate Midlands Series last weekend (arguably this was due to the shooter).

Prices are about equal if you go for a new one. Except I have seen LGU's down at £350 which seems like a good deal.
    Just my experience here - but i recently got a new TX200 in walnut and it was unreal straight away. No twang, no spring noise. Literally no reason to take it apart at all. Feels tuned from new.

14. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I just got myself a new 97 this week and that is surprisingly smooth for a new springer as well. Having owned all of the models mentioned in this postover the years, I would personally state that the most accurate and easy to shoot for me was a full length Mk3 TX. LGU was good but trigger not as subtle. I personally found the Pro Sport harder to shoot accurately although it does indeed look fantastic.

The only way to find out is to try and have a proper shoot of each one and decide from there.

I chose the 97 this time because of the Rekord trigger, which again in my opinion, is still unsurpassed for a spring powered rifle. Particularly when it is adjusted properly.

They are all very capable guns indeed and enjoyable to shoot.

Andy

15. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    Try

Trying them all my self.
    So far tx.out of the box .great gun
    Two to try. Hope out of the box to

16. onyl1gun

onyl1gun Banned

Done and dusted :)

Well it came down to the tx or prosport. I went with the TX as there may be a problem for me in the future as I haven't decided which discipline to go for so I am hard pressed to see how to get a hamster on the prosport stock. At least with the Tx there is a little room behind the cocking slot. Bit of an eye opener shooting a springer. Not as easy as I thought. More discipline required than a PCP. All good fun though. :)

17. two200's

two200's New Member

Well I had 3 years just shooting Springers, way before the Renaissance that they seem to be currently having.

I found the TX200 had a vague trigger and the shot cycle, despite no twang was shocking, a metallic clank and bad recoil.

The TXHC was the most hold sensitive rifle I ever had, ok seated, but any positional shots, it was up,up and away.

The 97k I had was bog standard, no twang, it was just knocked in and used and performed faultlessly, until, I dry fired it in error and shagged the spring. By the way despite losing 3 ftlbs and the spring being in 3 pieces when removed - it felt like it always did - superb.

I think that the 97k is about as good as it gets and having had 4x Mk3 TX's over the years and having had shot a lot of other people's guns, I don't think that the CD trigger is, or could ever be as good as the Rekord.

But these are only my opinions, you all have to make your own minds up.

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and after a 6 year break from shooting springers - I have a new 97k which has gone to santa to be wrapped up.

Keep your synthetic bearings, which are looser than a 10 dollar *****, keep your moody unfathomable double transfer port seal, keep your sleeved barrel, keep your piston seal with a hole in it, keep your football rattle ABT, keep your soft as shite alloy trigger block.keep your softer than shite bracket for securing the front end in the stock.

I'll put up with giving my German a bit of work if it needs it, ta.

18. LUDJEV77

LUDJEV77 Member

+1 for tx200

19. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Ashcombe AGC
    im quite biased to the tx200 preferably the eralier Mk1 and Mk2 Models, but i wouldnt say they are any more accurate just in my opinion nicer to work on and service than the German competitors

20. Neil180

Neil180 Member

There is a lot of love for the tx on here which I can understand, but for me it's the HW97. I prefer the dimensions, feel and handling of the 97 over the tx. True the tx is very easy to work on but the 97 is not exactly difficult either. My tx sports a Tony Leach 22mm piston and now shoots very nicely at 10.5 ft/lbs. I have 3 x 97s... a V Glide, a Nick G hybrid piston and a Paul Short titanium piston gun. My personal favourite out of all these is the Paul Short gun. Lovely thing to shoot. At the end of the day they are all good - you need to shoot them yourself and see which you prefer in your shoulder and which shot cycle you like the characteristics of the most. I don't know where abouts you are but you are welcome to try all mine if you are not too far away.