Deben DMP 10-50x56?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Akita, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    Ive got a Deben DMP 10-50x56 i really like the scope though the problem im having with a 30 or 35 yard zero my 55yard dialing is over a full revolution of the turret.
    NJ100 with high BKLs, sportsmatch riser blocks and its shooting exacts at 777fps.
    So is normal for a DMP to have so little adjustment per revolution?

2. simona

simona Active Member

No, not normal. Are you close to the adjustment limit of the scope? 55 should be about 5 MOA above 35 yards.

3. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    It is wound pretty high on the adjustment, it currently has 3 thin shims in the rear mount maybe i need to use some more.

4. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

Seem to remember mine was 24 clicks with a 25 yd zero and barrel to scope hieght of about 2.5 inches

Yours does seem wrong

5. mjoh

mjoh Member

Club:
    Broadlands A.R.C.
    I have 29 clicks from 25 yd zero to a 55yd setting. 30 clicks is a full revolution so just in. About 2 1/4 inches scope height.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The Debens do have a limited amount of MOA per turn. From memory 7.2 MOA. My Steyr with sports match risers and atp 61's is running at something like 6.5 MOA... even at 795 fps...

How many clicks do you actually use? It could be scope height. Helen runs a high AJP rail and ATP 61's and she's got something like 4.5 MOA on her walther running at the same speed, on a Deben.

I'd be tempted not to shim if you can avoid it as it can stress the tube and the inner parallax mechanism. You can find with more shims the side wheel starts to stiffen. With the APT's you might be able to jack it up more at the back to get it closer to optical or lower on the turret... mine jumps when it runs out of travel, so I avoid going near it.

7. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    One revolution is 30 clicks, so 1/4" per click so dividing 30 by 4 gives 7.5 M.O.A.
    Currently from 25yards to 55 yards is 35 click so 5 clicks past 1 full revolution.

Scope height is roughly 50mm from the flat of the dovetail to the centre of the scope tube.

8. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    have you got Hawke Chair Gun software. Run through the figs with your chosen pellet, speed and true scope height - nominally centre of bore to centre of scope tube but ideally you would check scope height by shooting at a mark on paper at very close quarters couple of ft max and measuring POI to sight mark (may need a pin hole lense cap to focus that close)
    Also have you centred your scope as per the BFTA guide - using a couple of v blocks etc. All may help to find if you have an issue

9. RobF

Club:
    Barrel centre to scope centre is probably a better indicator but that sounds like more drop than expected. 7.5 Moa is correct. Just checked here. But 8.5 Moa seems like a lot of drop even with a scope that low. It's not mega low because my 97 is about 60mm centre to centre but I won't expect to go a turn for 30-55.

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Maybe your barrel is bent?

Or the scope is too close to the extreme of it's adjustment range

11. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    The custom shop that was on it prevoius seemed fine, probly a third of a turn to go from 30 to 55yards.
    you could dial into 8 yards without coming close to a full turn.

12. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    I had one on my dommi, although it was on a pardo rail and adjustable mounts..

Zero'd on the mounts for I think 8yds locked, then zero'd to 30yds on the turret perfect!!..

I remember having pardo & BKL mounts with a big nikko mk1 30yds zero and ran out of clicks over 45. :(

13. RobF

Club:
    Sounds wrong... custom shops have from memory 10 MOA on a turn. That would suggest you had 3 MOA from 30-55 which seems very flat, and less that 10 MOA on 8 which also seems very flat... either can be done but not both.

14. RobF

Club:
    Put a deben on my springer. I'm using a solid block Ajp rail and atp 61 on the 97. Precise height above barrel I would have to measure but it's going to be similar.

4 Moa from 35 to 55

From 25 (which is the zenith) there's 5.

I didn't do 10 yds on the turret as I'm using holdover for the moment below 15 but 15 is the same as 55. So 10 and 8 are going to be a lot more.

15. Jon

Jon Member

My moneys on the ret shifting, loads of scopes do it.

16. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    Havent been shooting since i made this thread so havent gotten anywhere testing wise.
    Jon what do you mean by the ret shifting the tracking seems consistent im just using way to many clicks.

17. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    Finaly managed to have another look, i think the shims must have expanded as the rear mount tops where very hard to undo so loosened them up and the scope works properly.

Zeroed at 25/30 yards and now to im only using 4.5 to dial to 55yards:D

18. RobF

Club:
    Use adjustable mounts. Better than shims, quicker to setup and you can keep it near optical centre :)