Dealing with rain

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Pauly5, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Pauly5

Pauly5 New Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    I'm curious what other springer shooters do to protect their gun against water when shooting in the rain. More to do with the action than the stock.
    And what effect will it make if water gets into the compression tube?

Thanks
    Paul.

2. Steve C.

Steve C. Steve C.

Er... I'm not sure how water could get in a high pressure cylinder without the air getting out??
    Steve C.

3. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Have a look at the Paul James galleries on here and you'll see some shooters have a half circle of pipe over the breech cover of their springers to keep the worst of the wet out, simple and effective.
    If water gets in and starts to emulsify with the lube then it's strip down time.
    PJBRC_2019_By_Russ (86 of 62).jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Pauly5, MickyFinn and top gun phil like this.
  4. Pauly5

Pauly5 New Member

Club:
    Steve C, it's a springer i'm asking about. When you cock it the compression tube acts a bit like a syringe and sucks in air, i'm sure you know the rest. C.Eaton, thanks, I will have a look at what others do. What I really wanted to know was, if water got in during a comp, what would be the consequence, i,e, drop in fps, consistency...? And of course, full stripdown afterwards.

Thanks.

5. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

That's a very interesting question; one to which I have no answer, and suspect will only be settled by empirical experiment.

However, for my 85mm stroke TX200, the air in the cylinder will reach the boiling temperature of water (100C) around 46% into the compression stroke, and 3.7 milliseconds later, at 85% into the stroke when the pressure is ~13.5BAR and a .177" Air Arms Field starts to move, it will have reached 340C.

Whether that's enough energy (temperature), pressure and time to turn the water into steam and eject it up the barrel behind the pellet may depend on the amount of water. Whether said steam will condense onto the barrel wall and cause rusting if left unattended is another unknown.

What the effect on muzzle velocity might be is anyone's guess, but easily answered with an experiment.

MickyFinn likes this.
  6. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Sounds like you have a regular steam engine there...;)

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It seems to have caused a couple of people some issues. I've not had an issue myself even with the TX having water running out of it, but that's not to say I won't in the future. What some are doing is duct taping a flap over the loading area which allows you to load without exposing it so much.

BDL, steve1000 and top gun phil like this.
  8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    This reminded me of water injection in race tuned engines, which is used to lower the charge temperature and increase density plus reduce detonation in high boost situations.

If any water does evaporate during the compression stroke, it will lower the temperature due to its latent heat of evaporation, and hence the pressure of the air. Though that may be offset by the additional volume of the steam. As if springers weren't complicated enough!

Gut feel is that if a tuned springer were prone to dieselling, the water w

9. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

I always shoot in the rain, regardless of how heavy, so my TX has been waterlogged a few times.
    I have no device to keep water out, so it does get in. When its really chucking it down, I've stripped it down to find even the spring is dripping wet.

In terms of performance, about 50 shots spread over 3 ish hours of raining, i've not encountered any issues. I've got scorecards showing hitting plenty of kills at the very end of the shoot (i.e after hours of exposure). So if there is any effect it must have been minimal.

One fairly recent shoot at misfits it was almost torrential and I think I put in a joint PB. So the rifle seems to be able to cope just fine.

However I always always always strip it down as soon as i get home. Will never leave the water in there. Sometimes that means it gets stripped twice a week but I wouldnt risk not doing it

10. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    I had some trouble with my TX earlier this year, it got very wet at dowry hill, and I started missing targets very high, when I got it home I chronoed in the garage with some pellets I had on the bench and the power was as normal , I then realised that my pellet pouch had got very wet so tried some pellets from the wet pouch and the power rose considerably, I put it down to the wet pellets traveling down the barrel faster a bit like pellet lube .I have water proofed the pouch now .

top gun phil, Adam and Pauly5 like this.
  11. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Ive also experienced poi shift (almost always high) when shooting hw77/97's in various states of tune in the rain. It's not every shot when its but random.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    top gun phil, Adam and Pauly5 like this.
  12. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Keep your powder dry :)

top gun phil and MickyFinn like this.
  13. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

We have enough dry days that I don't have to shoot in the rain. My TX's have never seen a drop of rain, unless they were looking out the window.:D

top gun phil and MickyFinn like this.
  14. Pauly5

Pauly5 New Member

Club:
    Thanks for the info, really good to hear experiences. Could be a worthwhile experiment if anyone is willing to introduce water into their comp tube in the name of science and track the results.

I might make myself one of those covers. I'm sure sponsors will be knocking on my door to get their name printed on the available space.

15. steve1000

steve1000 Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    That is a cut down cycling bottle , just held on with duct tape ( it worked a treat though ) :D

C.Eaton, Pauly5, RobF and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pauly5

Pauly5 New Member

Club:
    Good stuff Steve, simple and practical thanks.

steve1000 likes this.
  17. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    I was wondering about the graphics on there...:)
    Something like that naturally sprung that could be simply slid backwards and forwards for loading would be perfect.
    Screaming out for some promo branding on it...;)

18. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Years ago at either the first or 2nd PJBRC when it was peeing down I used a similar device I'd knocked up the night before. A curved section of clear plastic pop bottle, with holes punched at the corners and threaded with elastic cord, and just slipped over the rifle with the elastic going under the stock. Slip it back just enough to get a pellet in the breech then cover again. I called it the rifle bra! :D

19. steve1000

steve1000 Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    Colin, how about Steves Springer Shower Shrouds :D, not sure the people that gave me them though would be too impressed knowing I have chopped them up :eek:

C.Eaton likes this.
  20. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Sounds like a plan...:D

top gun phil and steve1000 like this.