Daystate Tsar.

Discussion in 'Daystate' started by Lavant_Lad, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    I think it would be fair to say these air rifles have been seen in a bad light. Mainly power jumping up and down and generally problems with the regulator. The triggers can be poor out of the box but spend 30 mins or so with the adjusters, they come very good indeed.
    The standard regulator needs putting in the bin !!!!!
    Buy a Huma approx £95 dead easy to fit no modification needed. Balance that up with your hammer and (polish the hammer spring ends) and your Tsar will be transformed !!!!! Now a very consistent 780fps with JSB Exacts.
    Mine now is an absolute tack driver, with the original LW stainless match grade barrel.
    Had the rifle about 4 months now from new, was very near to getting rid of it, well pleased that I persisted with it, and won't be parting with it any time soon.:)
    How things have changed ref No 8 entry.:eek:o_O

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Mriley, Jaeger, johnnyboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I use my Tsar for benchrest.
    Seriously thinking of getting a Huma reg for it.
    Haven’t had any problems with mine it since removing the barrel band ( it was causing zero shift ).
    My trigger is great now that I have adjusted it.
    I have not stripped it down to the hammer spring yet.
    It’s a great rifle but I’m always looking for that little bit extra

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  3. GraySaint

GraySaint WFTF 2015 World Champion

did you know, that 2 shooters from top-10 in WFTC-2019 had Araman m2/Daystate Tsar rifles?

4. bow

bow Glenn Walsh

Had a go with one 2yrs ago. Only bad piont on the one i tried was it suffered from mussle flip. I couldnt see the pellet going. Aprt from that. I liked it.

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Yes, one of them is Steve Franklin, a friend of mine. His Ataman M2 was the very first 'Tsar' into the UK, Steve was a Daystate shooter at the time, as was Rich Beaugie.

Steve has done an awful lot of work with his rifle and has been shooting consistently well with it for the last two years, his 7th place and 1st in Veterans pcp was well deserved.

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  6. GraySaint

I would really like to know what he did there. I feel like its descent base for FT rifle (using mine currently for silhouette shooting only), but it needs some love from a lathe.

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I don't know the full story, I can ask him and see how much he will tell me.

One thing I do know is that he could not find a pellet to suit the original barrel so he bought a replacement from Daystate. He could not get that one to work either so bought an ACZ barrel (many are bad, this one was good) and had a machinist VERY carefully cut the crown and lead in.

8. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Ive now traded mine in , decided to move it on as the shop offered me good price against a Steyr Challenge. The Tsar was very accurate would do really tight groups at 55 yards with JSB 7.9 and 8.44.
    The problem I had was the power was never consistent for very long, I fitted a Huma regulator this improved it quite a lot but still not enough to give me confidence .
    It would be 780 fps average one day and 764 average the next (8.44 grn) but the groups were still very good !!!!!! But enough was enough, far happier with the Steyr.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Still some experimental work to be done with the transfer port dimensions I think.

10. GraySaint

I believe, the good barrel is an issue for a lot of rifles, heard a lot about steyr barrels being replaced often, and often with third-party ones.
    As for the speed, i had an issue last year, where it would change from time to time, but never during the competition. I changed a striker guide-rod to the custom heat treated one, but since i'm shooting only silhouettes, i haven't bothered about speed and accuracy that much. Have no idea what's the power setting right now.