Daystate Mk4 Platinum , battery theory

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by pacman, Jun 30, 2010.

1. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    The battery on the mk4 platinum in my opinion is not big enough, in mah. It can give poor results groupings etc after 1000 pellets sometimes less, so If you use your Platinum alot, like I do, practice alot. you will need to charge it every week to 10 days to make sure. imho.

I have spent alot of time and effort trying to get to the bottom of why this rifle is sometimes on form, and sometimes shotguns pellets, POI changes, cylinder pressure sensitive , fps sometime 8fps diff then 20 fps diff etc. It has to be down to the drain on the battery. as alot of this should be compensated for by the electronics.

If someone else could add their opinion on this, I would be very greatful. May I ask was this gun designed to be used as an everyday HFT gun, or as a testbed/ collectable......

When its fully charged with the right pressure in the cylinder and right pellet, its great. but I think to be used to its potential it needs a stronger battery.

2. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    do they have the same battery as the regular mk4?

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

A smaller one Ste.

Paul, have you tried putting your MK4 battery into your Platinum yet?

4. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Hi, Not yet. I was going to have a chat with Tony tomorrow..

5. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I think the inletting where the battery fits in the stock will need some slight modding for the larger battery to fit.

Pete

6. Dai

Dai New Member

It seems common sence to put a the same batt in as the MK4 especialy if its a bigger one and would benefit the Platinum..

7. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Thanks for that I will check it out later. the std mk4 battery is also a diff voltage. This will affect it to some extent as well I suspect. Not sure how critical it would be on this setup though.

8. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Sorry just to qualify my last post, the Std battery is I think a 9v 700 mah battery the Platinum a 9.6v 450 mah.

So the Std one puts out less voltage but has a larger capacity hold its charge for longer.

9. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    just checked my Mk4 is battery, I was wrong the voltage difference is bigger the std battery only seems to put out 8.4v.

10. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Agreed but when Gary Cane made the stocks he had the smaller battery there and made it around that, as i said with a small bit of modding they will fit

Pete

11. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Cheers for that Pete, I will give it a try.

12. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Another very expensive daystate that has problems :( They should leave the factory perfect for that price.

13. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Not a problem as the guns still work and shoot well in the right hands, if charging once every 3 weeks instead of 4 or 5 is the only problem i'll be happy

Pete

14. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I'm with Pete, it's not really a problem to me charging it every week. Not much different to having a gun that likes the barrel cleaning every week, just so long as they group well and shoot well how is it a problem?

I've not had any gun which has been perfect out of the box, I don't think the perfect out of the box gun exists.

15. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Well as I said just looking for advice. other wise how do we learn ?

The more I understand about the airgun the easier it is to decide whether I have spent my money wisely, need to invest more. or sell up completely. :)

16. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters

No mate, always best to ask, thats how we all have learned things and all of us are still learning.

Pete

17. Dai

Dai New Member

I'm well impressed with mine....As Pete and Charlts stated I have had no problem, and what a stunning example of a well built gun..Perfect straight out of the box with only a few pellets used to zero it..Batt charged by Pete and I have used it for atleast 300 pelets through it and the charge has hardly moved..I'll charge once or twice a month and I have total faith in it...Some have had minor problems but I'd say the majority are well happy....Platinum delivers.....

18. pacman

pacman New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    I am not saying mine is all bad, by along way, looks great, most of the time shoots well. every now and then though.

I have put about 8 tins of pellets through it in 7 weeks so my experience with this one seems different. thats ok. If there is something wrong with it ie the battery is at fault. or its just me. I will put it in the cupboard and shoot something else, that I tend to do better with.

Thanks for all your help, and I am happy to hear that no-one else seems to have same experiences that i believe I am getting.

19. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I wasn't happy with mine out of the box Dai, but then I wasn't happy with any of my guns out of the box. There's definitely room for improvement but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to make it suit, so no drama really.

20. Dai

Dai New Member

I'm relatively new to the sport and have only ever owned a HW100 custom and HW100 sk..The Platinum is like nowt I've ever owned, its the beez neezzzzzz.....