Daystate Griffin Released

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Saltire, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Saltire

Saltire New Member

Details of the New Daystate FT/HFT have been leaked tonight on AirGun TV. Daystate have released further details and photos on their web page.;)

http://www.daystate.com

2. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    This is new...

[​IMG]

They have launched the "special edition" before they even launched the normal version (which I assume is just the same gun, with a black breech block and the mk4 panther stock.)

They have launched that many parts bin specials I honestly can't tell what gun it looks like any more.

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

It may be a Gary Cane designed stock but it is certainly not what I would use for HFT, sloping down and tapering in cheek piece will cause eye position errors if you pull your eye back for the close shots and in forced awkward positions when shooting away from the px setting. More suited to FT by the looks of it as px error is not an issue when the scope is px'd for every shot.
    Strangely the Pulsar is the only Daystate with a cheek piece I would consider as suitable for HFT!

4. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I wouldnt say its a particularly good FT stock either, just not adjustable enough. No length of pull, cheek piece twist or cant, cheapo butt pad, etc. I like Daystates a lot but their stocks have always been their let down.

5. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

With a new limited edition seemingly appearing on a weekly basis does that make the non limited editions more limited edition than the limited edition ones? However the daystate fan boys will be all over it like a rash and pronounce it the best thing since the last llimited edition regardless of its practically and more based on the length of its price tag, more expensive must be better? :D

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I've not spent much time with Daystate's since the MK3... but the couple of Panthers I have shot seemed to be nice enough rifles, and I have heard excellent things about the Pulsar.

I'd like to try this one, but I'm afraid Dayatate have allowed Minelli to do that same to them as they have to BSA, which is, to fit 3mm screws to all the adjustable bits.

They are a b*gger to get tight and you have to use a T bar allen key, as the supplied L shaped keys are too small to get sufficient torque.

I don't know if this is something Minelli are pushing, or if the manufacturers are trying to stop heavy handed owners over tightening adjusters, either way, it's a bad move.

7. Tench

The clamps in the Minelli BSA stock use M5 countersunk screws, yes they use a 3mm allen key but the clamps work very well and don't require the screws to be swung on to clamp effectively so I don't see that as an issue.

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I don't agree. I found that using a standard 3mm allen key, both the cheek piece and pull adjustment moved, until I used a T bar. I have had two other people make the same comment to me.

You must treat your rifles more gently than me. :D

9. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    I'm comparatively new to airguns - but it seems Daystate are masters of bringing out "special editions" of products.

Is anything REALLY different? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  10. Tench

That shows how much I know about FT! It seems no body will think this is ideal for anything?

The shooters out here need rifles actually suitable straight out of the box for what we do in HFT/FT, when a manufacturer gets it right they will have a best seller on their hands. Untill then we will have to keep modifying existing 12ft/lb rifles or converting 7.5J 10m rifles.

11. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,

It keeps you busy;) and there are some fantastic looking and shooting rifles out there because the manufactures haven't produced a game changer ?, YET !!!! :D:D:D or do we really want them too ?.

12. rich

rich Active Member

Why do you treat Tench's rifles badly?? :eek:o

13. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    You know me Rich, I treat 'em mean.

14. Tench

Mine picked up a little mark the other week Rich, I bet Neil did that!

15. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZ-QQLXl6k

How do they justify it being £500 (50%!!) more than an HFT500? Its effectively the same rifle.

If they were to put an electronic regulated action into a proper FT style stock with adjustable everything (as per a top spec modified FT rifle with no AT, loads of bling and things to twiddle now that would give an FT shooter a tingle in their 'special place'. :) Their last FT rifle was a bit disappointing with reliability issues and basically the same stock as this new rifle (and the Target/ Panther) so maybe its time for another go?

16. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    D*MN! I was hoping you hadn't noticed... ohh, now I'm in trouble.

17. shakeysimon

shakeysimon Member

Club:
    West Devon
    Looks like a BSA goldstar se copy to me,albeit with a vastly improved price tag,it's nice to see a multishot magazine on a target rifle,they are obviously in touch with what competition shooters want :rolleyes:
    It's an unregged badly executed target rifle with a ridiculous price tag,if it was my money it's a well sorted ev2 or the like with a good quality scope and change left over.a parts bin special that's of no interest to me,Daystate have really missed the target on this 'special edition' no new innovation or research and development to justify the price tag,a recycled regal in a posh frock,they could of brought out a pulsar in an adjustable stock for the same money,I was expecting a target rifle to turn the competition scene upside down.what a let down

18. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Why all the Daystate bashing chaps?? Is it not possible that there intended market is not HFT or FT, there are other target sports. Might make a nice LSR rifle for those who like something a bit different; not much room left for the weight limit though to be fair if the quoted 4.3kg is correct.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  19. Loomax

Loomax New Member

Seems an old gun with new stock and at least 500 overpriced.

20. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Looks nice but ultimately flawed (& way over priced)! I've shot a Daystate Regal with a custom stock in competition & it's a nice, accurate little well balanced gun but there's better stuff out there for the money.