Daystate Grand Prix

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Thumbhole, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Thumbhole

Thumbhole Banned

Is there anything wrong with them, looked at them for a couple years now. They look the dogs dangles :cool: but i cannot help thinking theres something wrong with them, only made couple hundred i think. Why did they not win many comps if any as the mk3 dominated hft etc. Are there major probs, remember reading some where that the in built chrono was a pain in the arris and the barrel needed cleaning virtually after every time you used it to maintain accuracy. Are any of thes true and to those that have owned or shot are they worth owning or is it a passing fad. :D

2. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Tony Archer used one to win the world HFT champs this year. Other than that I don't think I've seen many on the HFT scene.

3. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I bought mine new from BAR shortly after they where released, mine was number177.
    Mine was faultless and never needed a single click of scope adjustment from the day i set it up, i only sold it in the mistaken belief that a lighter rifle would help my standing shots, how wrong was i? Wish i still had it now :eek:o

4. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    The fact they are no longer in production after a short production run must tell its own story. A well known ex world champ used one for a year, seemingly having no end of trouble with the thing.

5. Thumbhole

Thumbhole Banned

GP

Would that have been a certain Mr Hancox ;) All his were free as well, so no expense spared by manufacture, sorry i mean sponsered :D Might stick to me normal MK4 then. :)

6. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    Yes, there is.
    One of my friends had a couple of GP's from the very first ones to the latest versions and told me a lot about the various design issues (weak mounting of the breech block, barrel touching the air tank, built-in chrony problems etc) which resulted surprising POI-shifts and unexpected velocity changes. He had 3 or 4 of these rifles and built his own version after a lot of experimenting, also the factory took over most of his ideas in the late models but the rifle has never been so consistent as expected, so he finally ditched the lot and chose an Anschütz.
    If you are interested in, I can ask him for more details.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Pepe does ok with his...

8. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    He has won the Worlds with his S&B scope... If one knows the issues then he can deal with them but this doesn't mean that the problems don't exist. I don't know which version of GP he has, maybe a late one and they are significantly better.

9. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Pepone won the Words with an EV2, I believe that he only start to use the GP in 2011.

Is like Maestros wrote if we know the problems we can deal with them, I won't my first Nationals with a Daystate Harrier X2 Prestige I love the gun but because of the results the only reliable thing in it was the Garry Cane stock, the breech block was a joke.

A Daystate is like an Old British Car it s a piece of **** (I hope don t offend you guys) but we learn to love them. :)