CSFTA WL Round 1 - Carisbrooke

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by AndyIoW, Oct 10, 2011.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

CSFTA Winter League Round 1 – Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight.

First round for the Winter League started on the Isle of Wight at Carisbrooke s ground. With a mixture of copse, open field and a wind that came out to play as well the day was set to be interesting.

The club had laid the course out so the targets in a semi-circle which started in the copse and then working round in an anti-clockwise direction the until the last 4 lanes which were in the field. Targets placed high and low with the wind flowing through open sections and along banks to tease the shooters who had to guess how much to give.

A standing lane to start with, not long targets but around the 25 and 30 yards range. The next few lanes had the wind in the same direction but ‘blocked in places by the natural foliage so it did swirl around on the longer ones. Lane 6 was 90 degrees from the previous lanes and the first kneeling lane. A just under maximum permissible target on the edge of the copse but up a steep bank on an upwards slope to start with.The second target a closer one but still uphill. The next 4 lanes were all uphill some using the bank and some not.
    The Long kneeler[​IMG]

Lane 9 had the only maximum range target. Uphill and tunneled through the copse and placed in an open area.
    The 55yder[​IMG]
    The remaining lanes in the copse are now facing the opposite direction to the first lanes. Here the ground opens out a bit more, the targets placed a further away with a few higher ones to catch the wind. Target 31 was the only 15mm reducer, the other 3 being 25mm, and placed near the ground.
    The 15mm[​IMG]

And then into the open field with the lanes curving slightly but in general pointing the same way as the last part of the copse. The first of the targets was also the bonus target, Carisbrooke made it interesting by having about 20feet in the air on top of a scaffold pole. The strings not really helping in deciding which way the wind was going as they blew both left and right in large arcs. The final standing lane out here meant you were buffeted by the gusts a bit more.
    The long Stander[​IMG]

With the sun peeping out from the clouds occasionally and a breeze that gusted the day was a dry Winter shoot but I no doubt at least one of the others will be wet.

Results are up on the CSFTA website.

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    H and Robf tied, was there a shoot off or morally was Rob a beaten man:D

3. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    No shoot off Si, he was a broken man.... his new gadget couldn't even soften the blow, or apparently help the shooting,.... :D :D

Sorry Rob.

4. NJR 100

Club:
    Was he boinging again this winter?

5. alan-aitch

Club:
    Bisley
    No, the Walther was out.

6. NJR 100

Club:
    Oh!

Fs - W

W - Ev :D

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It would have been fine except i could not hit anything full size between 20 and 35 yds. 3 standers (one at 14yd i very strong breeze), 3 35yd 40mm kills... the others I think were a 50 i gave a kill to and it took a kill - 5mm and something else about 40. Never missed anything high or low or more than 5mm away from the edge. Just one of those days...

Still reeling from H getting both the standers in the field, after I double dinked them... as usual she set about hitting everything I missed, and mostly did.

One minute cock a hoop, next minute feather duster.

Did enjoy the course though :)

8. alan-aitch

Club:
    Bisley
    Yep, probably the best course I've ever shot at that ground. :)

9. tim g

tim g Member

Club:
    North Oxon
    Definitely the best course i've shot there too;), well done the Carisbrooke team. Well done Al for getting the scores up so quick. And well done to anyone who got that long stander in the gusty field!

10. Glennn

Glennn Who????

Club:
    North Oxon
    Aww schucks, thanks Tim:D

11. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    You need rugby boots:D and tent pegs;)

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Helen hit em both (she only would have needed to hit one more in the field and she would have had me... a close shave me thinks)... i hit plate, does that count? :D

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

On behalf on the Club, Thank You. Just means that we wil have to try again next year to make it as interesting as possible. After not using the field last year I think that we may have to include it every year as if the wind comes out to play, which it usually does, then it can be confusing.

For once luck was on my side and I got all the positionals just got done over on the 3 targets in the field the two in the barrel (went left by over a kill for each despite aiming to the right) and the last one which I got fooled with by seeing the the stings on the pole going out to the right and the pellet going straight.

14. shinything

shinything Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    This was my first FT comp and i loved it, i was a bit nervous before it all started but soon as i got going the nerves went away i think i did ok as well apart from a couple of mistakes think my score would of been a bit better if i didnt over rotate my turret on the 55 yarder in the woods and then take the next 6 shots to get it back right the field section was going well to missed the first shot i know why to now because it was so high i needed to aim a little lower i think? and then i hit every target i aimed at in the field section i say that because i shot one wrong target :rolleyes: the barrel one i didnt see the target underneath never mind i had a good day and cant wait for the next shoot.