1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSFTA Showdown

Discussion in '2009 Events' started by RobF, Mar 22, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    [xFLOAT=left]http://shooting-the-breeze.com/internal/2009_CSFTA_Showdown/_J4F6529sm.jpg[/xFLOAT]CSFTA Showdown: Never mind the length, feel the quality.

What a course! Or should I say three courses. Carisbrooke don't have the largest ground, but they sure know how to make use of it. Courses are an art. They aren't done by numbers, a sub 40yd average distance doesn't mean dull or easy if you know your ground well, and the wind comes out to play.

One course ran down one side of the woods, then it took you over the other. The sister course lead you from the shelter of the trees, and out into the open fields. Very deceptive, and if you didn't get used to being out of the kill at anything approaching 40yds inside, then you were in real trouble outside, where anything on the plate was not enough beyond 50.

Even if you did get a handle on it, then the final course, with it's 180 degrees stradding over the previous lines, meant you still had a lot to learn. And learn we did. Mick Kelly learnt to shoot a gun that he bent walking off match no.1 and I learnt that you still have to check which targets are in your lane. And we all learnt that if James Woodhead didn't knock you out, then his dad, Mick, would surely oblige.

The wind blew, the sun shone and the banter flowed. Good courses, good company. Doesn't get much better than that really.

Once again Alan has the scores already posted here and my pics will follow on the post below.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Just a few, as for once I didn't get an early bath in a showdown...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Rob, the 3rd course was 90 deg not 180 :) although at time it proably felt like it.

I am glad that all that came and shot the courses enjoyed the day and I quite agree that you do not need monster ranges to make the day interesting. Like you said even if you know the ground it does not help you at times just think about the fist lane we shot together you gave it right edge of kill and it just snuck in and I gave the same and it went straight :confused: .

My personal opinion is that the courses should use the terrain to the best we can kneeling lanes where you seem to be going downhill and targets high in trees make for the extra difficulty. Also the 3rd (red course) had slight changes made to it between each round a target moved closer here and a couple further away there just to keep you on your toes.

Some lanes did have targets that you could mis-shoot in the heat of the event which you found out :rolleyes: . I feel sorry for Kieth even charging you battery up the day before does not mean its going to work the following day.

Now starting to think about the full shoot for the Winter League these things take plenty of planning.

PS Would also like to pass on my thanks from the Farmer for the pause in shooting to allow him to conduct his business, which was successful for him. Thanks

4. richardio123

richardio123 Member

Nice work James, wish I could have been there...:(

Rich