CSFTA Round 3 at Christchurch

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by RobF, Jan 16, 2011.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers

CSFTA Round 3 at Christchurch

Our turn to host a league shoot and with 20mph winds with 40mph gusts predicted, I was keen not to push it too hard, but wanted a bit of a sting left should the wind not appear, especially as we had some foreign visitors from Wales due.

The live range seemed to provide some bemusement as usual, bordering on frustration, as long targets a yard away from each other took massively varying wind amounts. As ever, the strings and tape only added to the confusion.

The woodland appeared to offer some sanctury to the trickyness, yet it was in a punishing mood, as staying inside the kill beyond 30yds was extremely risky.

So it was perhaps a lesson in keeping your cool an making as much as you could out of a difficult day exaggerated by a relatively short course... only 7 targets over 50 yds, kneelers shy of 45, and standers sub 40 down to 12, all completely missable, as i demonstrated in fine style, at the end of the day.

Top score was Justin Wood who held two early misses, and only slipped once more in the woods for a very good 37. Best score for me was Dan Privett who put in a Grade B busting 36, leading Lyndeen's 31 who came 2nd in the grade.

Think there will be a few tales of well done and woe in the Taffia van on their way back :D

Thanks to those who made the day what it was, massive thanks to those that helped out, Dave and Di Cooling getting up at 5am to get the nosh ready, Don England for his target services, and all those from the region that could stay and help crash the course when all the fun/tears were over.

See you all at the Buccaneers in two weeks time. Should be a good un... :D

Scores are up, as usual, thanks to Alan's fast work, at csfta.co.uk (can't seem to find old NJR's though ;))

2. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Thanks for a lovely welcome back into the shooting fold winter isnt that bad as long as its dry. lol

Course was good and food was scrummy and Helens company was a scream xxxx

loopy

PS

Seem to have my score wrong was it not you with a 31 and i had 32 :D

3. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Oh no ?

Surely there is some mistake ? Simnon Evans 24 ? oh no . it cannot be . he has a rifle that cannot MISS . Shame about the old fart shooting it then ??? HOLLY

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Tondu Tourer's cunning plan!

First things First, before the excuses:eek:

Not normally a fan of straight ish line courses but really enjoyed Christchurch.
    Effectivley like two courses, the open Range a tricky part of the course but with plenty of close and hitable targets. The woods were as you would expect, get the wind and things could go well. Again though, lots of short targets, cant remember looking at my card so many times for short target dialing points but really enjoyed the course.
    Top zero range, enough targets and board to get things sorted.
    Really good food, excellent Value, thanks to all concered

Great shooting Company, and yes I dont really want to take the credit but obviuosly My shooting partner did rather well due to my Coaching. Well done Woody:D

As for us folks from foreign shores. Well done Peter on 35, could be a sign of a Walter team shooter?
    Not Bad Mathew but need to practise more in wind.

Me, too busy to bother to clean barrel and coaching Justin! :p
    There was no point trying. However, Bfta scores dropping nicley and the REV hopefully will be with me at Buccanneers?

Thanks to all, really enjoyed the day amd hope to see you in two weeks or so

simon

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. NJR 100

Club:
    Some photos - all in Jest

Just a few snaps to remeber our trip South

New Rivers west Team shooter Justin "Woody" Wood started the day in his new kit, untill i pointed out we could not actually see him

[​IMG]

So he dressed normal (???) and I managed to get a shot of his Bestside

[​IMG]

Walther Team Manager Came running and jumping when he heard there was a top walther Shooter on the ground

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But try as he did, not sure he spotted Him???

[​IMG]

I started extremley well with a pair of Kneelers, but then made the mistake of sitting down to shoot?

[​IMG]

So explained to Woody how to do it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Local knowlage meant some shot late, when the wind had dropped:p
    We started at 4.30 am today, will leave it later next time:D

[​IMG]

Yes, will leave later next time as Our top Secret Tondu Terminator ran flat late on and only managed 30.

[​IMG]

6. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Thanks to all at Christchurch for a great day's shooting with very nice food!

Testing course with the wind.

Yeah, and it obviously goes without saying many thanks to my Welsh shooting partner for his company around the course, that camera is always there!! :rolleyes: :D

Looking forward to Buccs, see you all there.

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Pic ?

In the main pic from the woods . that crew look like they have just escaped from dartmoor . Rob , you wanna sue who ever sold you that stock on your springer under the trade description act ??? HOLLY

8. NJR 100

Club:
    Judging by the weights, think he got it from Quick Fit?

9. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Thanks to Christcurch to a good shoot, just wish I could do it justice. Still do not understand how a string can go one way but the pellet the other:confused: .

Must get settled into it better I think, B-grade is looking more likely at the moment with the scores I have put in :( . The rest of the Isle of Wight lot had a great time mostly, a first timer at a FT event and he outscores me using a 3-9 scope :rolleyes:

Off to Iceni next weekend so will have to improve a lot, then we have Buccs followed by Bisley the following week. At least there will be a short break before the last one at ours. SAee you all in 2 weeks as Buccs.

10. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley

Yes i agree on a couple of things , how does a pellet go the other way when the string is going the other:confused: and i think i my be joining you in B.
    Good shoot thanks all envoled.
    Cheers Don

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Andy . you won't get a soft course like you had today at ICENI ???? HOLLY

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    More like Cheap Fit ??? HOLLY :):D

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I know Holly as I will be helping put it out :D along with Bazza and the rest of Iceni.

Besides not unhappy with the way I was shooting mostly (a few brain outs) but mainly jjust trying to get hold of what the wind was doing. I mean for example 1 lane had 2 targets around 53-53yds spaces about a yard apart yet one takes right wind the other left wind. Strings blowing out to the right on another yet pellet hits under the crosshair. Give it inside edge of kill and it would go either flying across the kill or drift to the plate side you were aiming at.

Christchurch ground is in a bowl of ground with tress all around makes the wind do all sorts. I do not even think if you are a club member you can grasp what it does half the time.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  14. RobF

Club:
    I think half the trick is ignoring all the wind signs and going on what you have in your head... but i still got caught out twice on the main range... happy as larry to drop the first long one after the kneelers straight down the throat, because it was a shot to nothing, and i hoped i'd see a miss to give me a clue so was worth a risk to me... 2nd one low down took a kill and a half to the right, which completely bemused me. Rest had a variety of down the throat, or way out to the right, but then i got caught out with a shot going even more left than i thought it would. Cant remember what i did on the pair of rats, but it seems to be by the second in that area. I've had a hard time in there with very little wind, bouncing off edges either giving it too much, too little or them going straight... i aint any easier unless it's dead as a dodo in there.

In the woods though, i lost most to not giving enough... the low rat in the first lane in there took twice as much as the one in the tree above, edge wasn't quite enough. Off the plate for the long one seemed to make sense, but i lost the longer stander to not giving any wind, and the shorter one to giving it... same with the kneeler, dropped on sweet and took it and got blown out. We wont talk about the last 2 standers! :rolleyes::eek::D

Cheers for the photos si... :)

15. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Me thinks that was the problem with me, ignored the signs on second lane gave it straight down middle to see if hit a few mill off to the right, ok then 2nd target a bit closer give it just outside kill on left to see it land over 1/2kill further right :confused: :eek: .

It just carried on like that for the rest of the day, Melv however said he mainly gave it down the middle and scored a 27 and only missed when giving just inside kill and watch it hit just outside the kill side he was aiming at.

Like I said happy with my shooting just not haopy with my windage estimation. Had a go on zero range afterwards and 40yds was L-R wind and 55 yds went both ways by between 1/4 kill and 2 kills. A case of live and learn from experience.

16. RobF

Club:
    Terry O said the same thing, he felt he was shooting well, but it just wasn't being rewarded. Thing is, I could have brought them in 5 yards but I don't think anything would have changed... it's just a bitch of a bowl :D

17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yeah ?

You boy's have got it soft down there ??? HOLLY

18. RobF

Club:
    will we see you at bisley on 6th feb hols, bullpup vs springer, £1 for the taking?

19. NJR 100

Club:
    the bisley shop is not open on Sunday is it?

20. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!

Hi Simon,

Yes it is open 9am - 5pm - 7 days a week.