Courses set to UKAHFT rules ??????????

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by popsheep, Jan 19, 2013.

1. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

I;d just like to ask people what they think about going to a shoot which has stated that they are shooting to UKAHFT rules and when they shoot the course it is not up the standard that the UKAHFT have in the rule book.

We all know the odd mistake can get through but how many mistakes does it take to know that it is not up the high standard of a UKAHFT shoot.

It seems in past threads that people have been getting plenty of stick for complaining about the quality of the courses that they are shooting but surely if the courses are supposed to be to UKAHFT speck and are not, I believe they have every right to ask the question and please dont give us that old answer ITS THE SAME FOR EVERY-ONE because it defo is not .

2. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    I have to agree with you Ian, it's bollox I tell you bollox.
    Travel all that way to shoot a course that clearly had no effort or thought put into it.
    But hey what do "We" know.

Darren.

3. blue dragon

blue dragon Member

Club:
    Rivington riflemen
    i agree with both of you if your not gonna make the effort dont attribute it to ukahft
    atb steve
    ps good shooting today darren

4. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    The thing is some people think we (UKAHFT) are controlling and demanding, yet its clubs that ask to affiliate to us and we don’t make anyone affiliate it’s the club choice all we ask if you use our name use our rules.

Like it or not UKAHFT is the National and International HFT format, some people do seem have a problem with the format/rules but they are there for a reason to try and make it fair for everyone and we do our best not to exclude anyone, left & right handers, short & tall, from a Gat to an EV2.

It’s not hard to set a UKAHFT spec course out all guidelines are available to anyone.
    If a club does state or give the impression that its UKAHFT format and people travel to shoot that, it is bad when it’s not as advertised, as you don’t go to a pool hall to find out you are playing darts instead:rolleyes::D

Again with affiliated clubs, it doesn’t mean you have to use our rules end of, we have Quarry doing extreme, Kibworth their marksman and Cambridge rules and so on, but at least once a month we all do a UKAHFT rules comp to, all shooters are asking it seems to know what they are going to, which imo is a fair shout.

Pete

5. raygun

raygun Non member

Setting a course to UKAHFT regs is easy :D

Well no it's not, as it requires time and effort. What it does is give you a format and rules to work to. It should also give you a course that no matter where it is will match that format. It should also be fair to all competitors.

When Rivi got their first outside range for some time (Giants Seat) we set out courses that consisted of "some targets", at "some distances" with "some reducers" and we shot without positions being stipulated between two poles or gate. Yes it was enjoyable but it was also very variable.
    I wouldn't have liked to drive for two hours to shoot such a course.

If a shoot is stated as being to UKAHFT Rules, then it should be. If it's not it deserves all the comments it may well receive. If a shoot is not going to be to UKAHFT Rules then that should be stated, along with the Rules/Format it's been set out to.

It's not the fiver entry but the fifty quids worth of fuel and time that gets people upset if the course is not what they expect.

To answer Ian's question. If I go to an advertised UKAHFT shoot I expect it to be just that.

ATB
    Ray.

6. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    One of the major issues we get is you get people complaining at the shoots then on the phone to us and then you see they same people on here saying "Cracking Course" so when we have spoken to the club/clubs and their answer is "well the shooters enjoyed it" so we then look the @rseho!es !!!

Pete

7. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    I have only been in the HFT world for less than a year but I do as much as I can to assist with organisers of certain course, no names, no pack drill. I have slogged over the weekend to put a good show on and I enjoy it immensely even though the 120 miles worth of petrol is a loss (not even a free entry).

However, as a competitor on the day I become frustrated at the comments from some well known guys on the circuit around regulation/distance/kill zone etc and sometimes I feel like walking off the course. I wonder how much effort these serial complainers put in to the day just to make it happen.

8. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I tend to shoot courses these days mainly in the north west. It is certainly disappointing if you have traveled a long way to shoot in a competition that resembles a quickly chucked together club day. Dont know about anybody else, but my limited funds mean a rather large hole in my moth ridden wallet when fuel is taken into account.

Alright, I am far from a serious competition shooter, but I know many who are. When you consider the high mileage/overnighters that are involved in travelling to UKAHFT "approved" shoots (or those that claim to be shot to current national rules) and they aren't, it annoys people.

Here in the north west we make serious efforts to ensure that competition courses are properly set out and vetted prior to a shoot commencing. This is obviously less likely to result in continued stoppages early on which tends to be the signature of a poorly set out course. Those "serious" shooters who may or may not have traveled long distances to attend are bound to be miffed as they take their sport seriously.

I am not saying that the only good courses are those in the north west. Just that I am aware of the genuinely great efforts made by the usual few to put on challenging, legal and just as importantly, fair courses. I have seen many courses further south that meet these criterion .But I have also recently seen those that haven't.

Frank

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Where's the places that need to pull more socks up then? Surely if they know they can do something about it? On a purely selfish note it'll save me a long rive and I'll know where to avoid so I can save my hard earned, pm if you don't want to go public.:)

Thanks in advance

10. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Morning Ryan,

I have no intention of naming individual shooting grounds that fall into this category. Rather than fall into an individual slanging match regarding this, I think that we should all just step back and consider the many points that have been raised thus far on this post.
    I would not be surprised if many of the shooters expressing their own opinion at what they consider to be events set out to below true competition standards vote with their feet and basically don't turn up to such events in the future.
    Rather than end up falling out over this, I would suggest that a little bit more time and effort is given to setting out courses that are shootable for all and meet the criterion of the current UKHFT rules. Simple as that really.

Frank

11. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Good morning to you Andy.:)

I don't see anyone falling out over it, most places put courses out to what they think the rules are and probably don't realise their courses aren't, this sort of feedback is what improves things everywhere, not just the NW where you're lucky everything is to spec. Would you drop me a pm, I'd genuinely like to know so I dont turn up somewhere and suffer the disappointment.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  12. blackscale

blackscale Member

I think affiliated clubs, in the main, do their utmost to set a 'legal' course.

In saying that clubs DO make mistakes....it just happens every now and then..

It is nonetheless annoying if you travel to a club and no effort has been made to keep it legal, like reducers at legal ranges, that's my biggest bug bear but also one i have got wrong at the Club inadvertently on the rare occasion...:D:D

13. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    UKAHFT or not

How about taking a day off work (shift worker that covers weekends), tank of fuel, entry fee and all the other associated costs. I thoroughly enjoy shooting HFT but seeing a comment like the one above hacks me right off. I do EXPECT a UKAHFT advertised course to meet the regulations. It's the reason I have travelled to shoot it.
    If a club advertises it as such don't get upset when people are negative when it's not. I don't mean the odd mistake etc, I know what's involved setting a course and fully appreciate the work people put in to do so. If a club does not want to work to the guidelines/regulations then drop the UKAHFT tag.

Alex:eek:o

14. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

You don't know what your talking about mate

LAity

15. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Put us all straight then

16. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I have put out more courses than you know , I complain when things are not done right and not to the rules I shoot to ?? I don't like moaning but have been round long enough to .

LAity

17. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Fully understand that. My much lesser experience is of someone moaning about a particular yardage that you know to be in regulation; usually after a miss. Funny though that they don't tell the organiser.

18. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

19. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    If I had experienced any of the above I too would have been cheesed off so I'm getting the point. My experience is limited to my own club where there is very little at stake yet someone brings the day down with snide comments and yet refuses to assist when we set things up.

20. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

You get them at every club i'm afraid. There's some great clubs out there, it's a shame some clubs and series choose to advertise shoots to rules they don't adhere to.