Countryman fairs/euro,s

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Evo, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Thirteen

Thirteen Member

Club:
    M.U.A.R.C
    It's good craic though

Emma and Evo like this.
  2. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    i was just thinking of a new name Jack,, we could call it things like

1, Gillies Gauntlet
    2, Awesimes Arena
    3, chubby,s closet challenge
    4,Harris,s Haunt
    5,Woody,s woodland

or even Finigans Fiasco championship

who knows ????

RAMBO and Thirteen like this.
  3. scott pywell

scott pywell Active Member

Club:
    Blackbrook and Hereward
    Don't give up your day job Bob because stand up Isn't for you.
    :)

top gun phil and LittleJack like this.
  4. Evo

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    i was sitting down when i typed that lol, have you improved yet lol

5. scott pywell

scott pywell Active Member

Club:
    Blackbrook and Hereward
    Yes got 32 and Mr Murphy was 2nd with 39 Stoddart won but not sure what he scored. You would think sonic would have got score up by now. :)

6. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Stodders won on 43

7. Evo

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    well dome matey, keep it going, see ya next week

8. andyfin

andyfin Active Member

How about bobys alloys.

RAMBO, LittleJack and Evo like this.
  9. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I like the Euros, it should have been renamed years ago but it's hardly a deal-breaker and people tend to focus on the wrong thing.

I can understand the boredom of shooting the same course for 20+ yrs but there is the Quarry to add to the mix now, so you could mix it up every couple of years. We could move it to do a double at a club or a couple of clubs in a region but pretty soon you'll be in the same position again because it will always be the same clubs that come forward, you'll also lose 50% of the prize money.

Personally I've got zero interest in the "fair" itself, overpriced farmers shirts and looking like a country prole in green tweed is not a look that does it for me but many others seem to like it.

Doing PR at events like this is hard work, I've worked at 3 of them on a stall, my experience is that people just want a go with the guns, they're not really interested or focused enough to be signed up for FT. I think the approach that Bri Samson has taken with HFT is a much better way of doing things and people stick at it as well.

Me, I'm happy to travel anywhere to shoot some FT, change is good but how different can a target on a tree be?

scruff, top gun phil, andyfin and 3 others like this.
  10. Thirteen

Thirteen Member

Club:
    M.U.A.R.C
    Good comments bud

top gun phil likes this.
  11. kassak

kassak not helpful Keith

Club:
    Millride
    Wise words Bobber. Yes the Euros could do with a refresh, name change, tweak the course etc. But it don`t matter to most Ft shooters if the target is up a tree down a gully or through a hole in a hedge in Wales Scotland or anywhere else. The only thing you want to see once your eye is in the scope, is the bugger fall over. Change is good and maybe overdue, but remember not to chuck the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 5:05 PM
  12. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Great points Martin. I've only shot it the once, this year, but really enjoyed both days. Aspects I didn't like were down to the venue. The camping: where the site was i.e. tother end from the shoot, noise, security issues. Not being able to get in the ground (so we could walk up to the shoot) until after the time we were supposed to sign in at the shoot was bloody ridiculous.

So Premier Inn for me next time.

The fair was "meh" at best; saw what I wanted to in the time it took to walk through. Best thing about it was chatting to old UBC mates on their range, and Claire et al on the AA stand.

I'm not going to complain about courses being the same when I've shot at Ponte for 12 years! :D Nothing against Ponte, they do a great job in a limited area. The point being all the shoots there are enjoyable despite this; it's a red herring.

andyfin likes this.
  13. Emma

Emma Active Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    We found FT through Weston Park...

Info was sparse until the internet, today anyone can just Google BFTA and there's plenty of info.

just sayin' :)

14. suds

suds Senior member

Club:
    Wendover
    I have shot the Euros at Weston Park for 18 years now. I love the venue but disappointed when they demolished half of the woodland. The fair has got very expensive in recent years so I do not bother with that now. The club members who give up their time to build the course is much appreciated and it is still very challenging , I personally would like it to stay at Weston but be renamed. Always tricky there and how many time has the course been cleared, not many.

scruff, Andy P, Darron and 1 other person like this.
  15. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    A change of name for the Euros was proposed by the BFTA in 2016. If I remember correctly, if the competition stays at Weston Park, the name is decided by Countryman Fairs.
    At the time, they were receptive to the idea of changing the name to better reflect the current FT environment. Unfortunately, as far as I know, no decision was ever finalised.

scruff, Darron and Thirteen like this.
  16. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Sloth like member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    In 2019 if you were an interested member of the public how would you know we were the BFTA ? No signage, no leaflets, nothing to promote who we are and what we do.
    Just sayin

17. Ratinator

Ratinator member of the 39 club , twice

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    The general public have no interest at all about FT at the euros .
    On the way in they are thinking about what they want to buy , on the way out they are thinking about avoiding a traffic jam.
    I’ve spoken to people nearly every year about what we do and the equipment we use and it’s always about how much the fancy gun costs.

top gun phil, scruff, Andy P and 2 others like this.
  18. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Fobury Tree !

What happened to the banners you were getting Mike?

19. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Sloth like member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Banners were produced and I put them up in 2018 and they produced some interest with people asking for more information and taking leaflets but although banners were up at the Worlds they did not re-appear at the Euros in 2019. I brought leaflets with me but useless without the banners to promote them.

20. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    The euros needs to develop, having shot it a good few times now we are missing the trick. The venue is visited by thousands yet very few stop or view the event. If it's free advertising then we are wasting the chance year on year.

We need to engage with the public get a demo area set up properly not like the other year where it was run on the air arms stand and that's not knocking their efforts there.

The cameras at the worlds were great get these along the field and some extended from the woods, that will attract attention. Have people there ready to meet great and explain while interacting with people. Take them on to a demo area give them a proper look and go.

Then the event will act as an advertisement and development event.

Bri

LittleJack, andyfin, Thirteen and 3 others like this.