Cooling scopes with ice packs...

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Nov 3, 2014.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Long version...

Having naff all to do yesterday evening, and with Conor resting after sweeping thedropped sand up off the floor that his orangutang haired arms trapped while he frolicked with a kitesurfer in the dunes yesterday, I decided to put one of our now almost redundant instant ice packs to the test. These things you just pop and they go cold. Not freezing, about 10 degrees. For northerners I know that's t shirt weather, but where we have daylight and colour TV and tarmac, it's Baltic conditions.

March was running at 22.9 degrees in the living room (Conor got right into the sweeping, upping the ambient temperature. But I'm not sure someone hadn't also been at the controls). Tested scope temp with a probe at various parts to ensure consistency, it was the same all over. Cue popping the pack, and the scope plummeted to 22.5 degrees over 4 minutes on the eyebell side of the turrets. On the objective bell side, it fell to 18.9 degrees over the same time, and after another minute stopped dropping. After that it started getting warm with the ambient again (the lights aren't that hot in my place, LED)... after another 6 it was back up to 22.9 again. Conor hadn't moved off the sofa during these 14 minutes, so the Moroccan glow effect off his morning's sunburn was at least consistent in the experiment.

So short version, they don't work, unless you're going to keep ice packs super cool for longer than a few minutes somehow and keep the scope with them, or carry 40 of the things. Good job really, I've only got one left in the cupboard. I the experiment worked I may have had to go into the shed for the last box. That would have involved a torch.

It was just one of those "now the nights are drawing in i'll think about trying to keep the scope cool" type of moment thoughts. It's off the bucket list.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    May I add it was a highly scientific experiment conducted under strict control conditions. The hypothesis "an ice pack cooks a hot scope" was proved wrong.

That Bournemouth sand has gotten into everywhere, even the crevice between my gluteals

3. RobF

Club:
    Yes, well what do you expect? Notice how I didn't rush to help the elderly gentleman, (dressed head to foot in rubber might I add) who approached you by the life guard hut, asking if you could help get it up for him... he even stated (and this is verbatim), that he could do 'self release but it's a bit dodgy'...

It's like an exfoliant. You'll get used to it.

4. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

wot you need is

One of those water cooling things they sell in maplins for pc processors

Wrap it round your scope,rig up a battrry and chilled to your hearts content

5. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I don't think you are waiting long enough. Bit more than a 2mins clock but this explains how long

Much easier to heat a scope than cool it. Astronomers do it in the dark.

6. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I've just put some Findus crispy pancakes in the oven should I stick my Comp in there to pre heat ?

7. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Sorry it's on gas mark 5

8. RobF

Club:
    But I bet they don't do it in the rain.... zzzzzZAAP! :eek::D

9. scruff

scruff Member

Club:
    purley chase
    get out

rob and conor you must get out more....:D

10. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

I had to scrape the ice off my car this morning, should I post it down to you Rob?

11. RobF

Club:
    Nah ta, I'll be back up in spring and I can collect some then if last year's nefta classic is anything to judge by. If we have the same amount of northern shoots next year I can just cache it on the side of the m40 somewhere and top up as I drive past.

We were on the beach in t-shirts at the weekend...!