Converting the Steyr Hunting into a 10m match

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by wayne509, Mar 7, 2011.

1. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Well I bought a Steyr at last. A brand new Hunting and have since bought a FT stock ( hopefully be here tomorrow ) so was hoping to make the rifle even more multi purpose

Was wondering what is involved in the conversion from a hunting/ FT models into a match 10m rifle.
    The gold transfer port is the first thing so I believe...... what else?

2. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
  3. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

4. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    I've done several conversions visa versa, but converting into Match is the hard one.
    The power is not the issue (gold port), but the barrel will cause the issue, in work and money.
    The Match barrels have the barrel extension glued fixed onto the Match grade barrel these days.
    You can order a barrel extension (for diopter+korn use) but.....the black Hunting barrel is a little bit thicker than the blank barrel, due to the black paint. Fitting the barrel extension tube will certainly damage the black paint (yes paint, not blued) if at all it will fit over the barrel due to the very narrow fitting.
    For mounting the FT stock you need a lot more parts, not on the Hunting, i.e. for fixing the grip and lateral movement of the stock.
    But all can be purchased and/or fitted what is needed for a conversion, look in my album for some pictures, there is a picture of a Match/FT combination.
    And yes, the Steyr concept is truely a MPA, Multi Purpose Airgun :)
    regards,
    Rob

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    turn the reg down to 70bar and use black port,alot of match guns do it this way,u get a very high shot count this way 300 plus running at 6lbs for paper or bell target

6. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Thanks Rob

I think first of all I will concentrate on getting all the parts I need for the stock. I know that the set up I have purchased is incomplete so when it comes today I will see what I need.
    As far as the conversion goes.... I was hoping the barrel extension would slip on and off so I could easily change between set ups. Time for a re-think then:confused:

Not too fussy really as I doubt I would use it much but it would be nice to have that option

Chris....... Black transfer port is now fitted ( thanks ) but now you have me away reading how to turn the reg down:D

7. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    you can do by just turning power down but will only get about 120 shots,flute tube wise u could get 1 made like a silencer screw on matey ive got flute tubes if u want to see photos of them,ive got and steyr 1 and a uk neil 1,which works the same,i shoot alot of bell target matey

8. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

A pic would be good Chris

Do you still have my email address?

9. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    If you keep using the black transferport and have the external V0 screw, you need a shorter hammer spring else you can't get to the power level you want. Thiis way you can keep the regulator at 85-90 bar and get enough shots without waisting too much air.
    regards,
    Rob

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    001.jpg

002.jpg ive found mine will come down to 5lbs with external power adjuster and new hammer,hunter hammer and spring will struggle to get down u hav to change spring as rob said to a smaller spring,the cut out on the flutes r for fitting onto barrels like barley twist or early 100 with a pin on them,new type barrels now use grub screw to locate into postion

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

so UK Neil made the one on the right?
    I would need one of those made and nip it up with grub screws?

Then obviously the diopters etc and adjust power and thats it?

12. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    yes matey that would be it