Considering shiming the Challenge FT barrel

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by astra, Sep 17, 2019.

1. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

astra
    Im confused now
    1A99FC21-06AA-46B5-BA1D-F17A305A0EA5.jpeg 196937A9-A8FA-48FD-830E-1F3978F2AEB3.jpeg
    Deffo round holes on this one

I could have sworn....

I wonder what made me think ......

Oh help . I’m losing it. o_O

astra likes this.
  2. astra

astra Member

Try and insert your little finger inside and hopefelly you would feel the two edges on left and right sides (if I'm not dreaming) I'm unable to see them too...

3. astra

astra Member

I'm confused... Checked again with little finger to observe the "depression" to see there is nothing. I could swear the other day there were two distingushable edges! Today - only flat cylindrical hole, just like yours on the pics.
    I'm afraid what this might mean :(

4. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

Ok then .
    Sorry for the red herring

so your issue is that the barrel is baggy in the chassis until tightened , and tightening does not achieve a consistent and repeatable barrel position ?

I have to say , None of the steyrs that I’ve seen have snug fitting barrels .

If you are determined to make the barrel a tighter fit in the chassis , sure packing out with shim material would do this .

I haven’t really thought this through but It might be an idea to make sure the pip does not foul the stabilizer

5. astra

astra Member

Obviously snug fitting is not aimed by the design...
    So they relay on the two screws on top and the profile of the lower part of the cylindrical canal.
    And is this enough to fix the barrel reliably and repeatable? Perhaps yes.

Regarding the tight shimming...I etched the cooper foil I have to 0.09mm that perfectly and tightly fits barrel ... only laterally. In vertical axis the barrel is still baggie/ loose and needs tightening the top screws to get into position... So it is hard to shim and may be no need at all.
    Phil?...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 8:43 PM
  6. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    My springer barrel's don't have this issue, try welding it in ??????

7. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Are you sure the temperature shift was down to the FT Challenge and not the scope or mounts?

Has anyone else experienced temp shift with a FT challenge that has not been free floated?

Is the FT model more susceptible than the standard version?

8. astra

astra Member

You can ask this question to German and English FT shooters that attended Greece in July 2019!

9. john79

john79 JEDI

Are you sure its the barrel causing temp shift? is it not clamped at both end's and same with the air tube? Doe's the action flex at some point? my guess would be internal springs and reg pressures and maybe the sealing ring on the valve stem causing more temp related issues than how the barrel is mounted !

10. astra

astra Member

Dear John, if you have guesses, feel free to experiment and prove or disprove them ;) Afterwards you may share with forum what is your conclusion based upon experimental results.
    Just to let you know about what you mentioned above as your guess - the velocity temp shift of my Challenge in the temp interval 15-40 degrees Celsius is ... 3m/s! At 50 meters this means 2 clicks of 1/8 MOA or 3.5mm.
    What was in the reality is more than 2.5cm shift - outside the kill zone at 38 degrees Celsius and not exactly on vertical axis but in my case at 10 o'clock and this means ... chassis/barrel bimetal!.
    After freefloating the barrel from the chassis this temp related poi shift simply disappeared.
    Everything stated above is based on my personal experiments (not guesses) that took place in Summer 2019, instead of ... simply enjoying my new Steyr Challenge HFT :( :( :(

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    john79 likes this.
  11. john79

john79 JEDI

im new to steyr ownership and don't shoot in extreme temps like you do by the look of it so maybe i'll never experience what you are seeing :)

12. astra

astra Member

Not extreme temps at all.
    I'm not shooting with Challenge in Sahara.
    36-38 deg is quite regular in South of Europe and it is nice Summer Mediterranean climate :)

john79 likes this.
  13. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    I wonder who will be the first skilled guy to modify the Challenge by milling away the two middle barrel supports without compromising the integrity of the chassis.

14. Simonix

Simonix Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    Has anyone else actually experienced the same as Astra in the UK?

I am guessing I’m better off not hacking away at my rifle chassis, if it’s shooting ok. Especially if afterwards it makes the barrel “sloppy” in the remaining retaining section of the gun.

15. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

A good few Poeple have free floated there steyrs if experienced poi with there setup.
    One of the most recommended thinks to do to a steyr if experience this.
    Or widen the three supports in the challenge chassis.
    I have a challenge and shoots spot on no modifications needed I also have a long chassis steyr which I did free float using a dremel. Shoots spot on has well.
    I will only ever shoot in the UK so temperatures not has extreme.
    Like in extreme heat scopes and other aspects come into play.
    Neither have sloppy barrels if use a good batch of pellets and you do your part you will have no accuracy problems.
    Also another recommended upgrade black transfer port.

astra and Simonix like this.
  16. astra

astra Member

Excuse me for introducing the "sloppy" barrel term! When the 2 screws tightened the barrel it is no sloppy at all. Excuse my English, it is not my mother's tongue :(
    I don't know what is the daily Summer temp in the UK. What I faced during my first weeks with Challenge was: when outdoors is 30 degrees and above, the first 10 minutes just after the Challenge was out of the case, the shots were accurate at 50m. Once the rifle has tempered to the air temp, the poi drift was away off the kill zone at 50m that is 4cm in diameter. In my case - the poi shifted to the left.
    When shooted in a range in a basement where is average 20degrees no poi shift happened for the entire session.
    I guess this is quite clearly explaining the issue with Challenge chassis.
    Please, have a look at the LG110 chassis. It has only one 8 in the frontend. Do you find it somehow desintegrated?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:39 AM
  17. Simonix

Simonix Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    Well it clearly explains the issue with your challenge.

We can have heatwaves in the uk up to mid 30deg.

My question was more to see if anyone in UK has had the same issue as you on their Challenge.

Perhaps, if you’re not happy with your rifle, just sell it on and buy the LG110 instead?

LUDJEV77 and astra like this.
  18. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    On this topic I agree with Simonix. My Challenge is pinpoint accurate without any alteration. During the very hot weather the POI changed very slightly but not enough to move out of a 40mm kill. The scope may also play a part in this and everyone's gun/scope combination was suffering. Differing expansion coefficients won't go away!

Simonix and astra like this.
  19. astra

astra Member

I asked Steyr about this and they answered - no more LG110 in production :(
    I guess it is not my Challenge in particular, but the Challenges in my climate zone that would face the Summer temperatures.

In fact, I had very similar issue with the brakes of my German family car - the breaks failed over 37degrees in Summer. Simply no brake action! After investigating the fault the German manufacturer admitted it was high temp related fault and reworked the brake system for free for me. From Steyr, they only propsed to sell me a LG110 chassis :)
    Obviously, it may happen even to well renowned manufacturers, so why not to Steyr too?

In this Steyr forum I have come accross a movie where an UK guy was machining his Challenge chassis holes.

20. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft

Hi Astra, Just because someone else has done it doesn't mean its the right thing to do, everyone has their own ideas on how to improve there rifles with strong camps regarding floating the barrel or not, I have a hw100 (first Rifle I bought) and free floated the barrel, it made no difference whatsoever to its performance, I also have an Lg110 that is standard except for fitting the black transfer port and have no problems with it at all,
    I am assuming you bought your challenge new?, did you not try to get Steyr to sort it out before you invalidated the warranty by attempting to sort it out yourself, Every manufacturer turns out a bad/faulty product on occasion but Steyr are usually very good with there customer service so long as the item has not been interfered with.