Confused.com?????

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Willbe, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Know i'm going to get told off for thinking about things too much but its f**king bugging me....

My Anschutz2002/Nikko, Cannot seem to get on with it, a mate has it for a couple weeks and can get it to group dead on. We take it and my pro target to a club shoot, him shooting the annie, me the PT, again fine, in fact he only drops 2. We then go round the course again, me shooting with the annie him his ripper, everything lands high, very high, with the same settings he's just hit everything with, ok back to the plinking range and out with the boards;

JSB Exact 8.44gn @ 780fps
    Range Yds Calculated Clks Mates Clks My Clks
    10 71 -- 40
    15 22 20 --
    20 4 5 6
    25 0 0 0
    30 2 0 0
    35 9 10 5
    40 18 23 8
    45 30 26 15
    50 44 35 31
    55 59 50 40

When I can i'll reshoot a course with these settings and it may work. Just seems utterly bizzare that all 3 sets of settings should be radicaly different as these settings are as far as I see it a relationship between rifle/pellet/scope. We did discuss this and yes this sort of thing is known to happen when one shooter shoots a rifle and another shoots the same rifle, I accept this, but what troubles me is why this should be? Is it an indication of something i'm missing? or should I not worry about it so much, stop thinking like an engineer and just shoot the bloody thing? :confused:

Thanks all
    Will

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Head position;)

3. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Open to any offers, and yes there are some who have said I need to give my head a wobble! What is troubling me though is why this should have such an effect? The rifle felt as if I and it was sitting in the same place each time, my eye seemingly in the same place each time too (bisley eye cup to force eye into the same position each time)

4. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Give you £50 and take it off your hands, only as a favour mind;)

5. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Easy tiger! Not for sale as yet. ;)

6. staffie

staffie Member

Club:
    millride
    Were you shooting with your glasses on, could that have an effect?

7. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    I do with both though and the pro target behaves as expected....

8. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Is the occular eye piece set correctly for your glasses?

9. j.waterfield

j.waterfield Member

Club:
    Harriers and Old Pheasant Pen Wood Field Target
    Clicks

Hi Will
    Silly question

I know the pellets are JSB 8.44s Are they the same batch, i.e. from the same tin, or did the other shooter use his own pellets being JSB 8.44
    If not, try again using pellets from the same tin

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, it was just a thought

John Waterfield

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    1/4 or 1/8th clicks?

So you pick the gun up, and when he fires it at a 55yd target on the plinking range, you dial 50 clicks, and when takes the next shot at the same target, he is 10 clicks high? Have you tried that scenario?

11. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Not sure how I would achieve this unless this is the "look at a blank wall and turn the ocular till both the reticle and wall behind are both pin sharp" I have done this procedure to both Nikkos (one on pro target the other on the 2002) although not recently. Once winter league season is finished tempted to swop scopes over and see if it is parculier to the scope or to the rifle.

12. TimG

TimG Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Take the human element out and stick it in a gun vice and both shoot it?..just a suggestion.

13. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Hi John, is a fair question and yes pellets are all the same batch 70's, even to the point of giving the other shooter a good stock of these for his tests and for his round with the 2002. John also i'm a great believer in there is no such thing as a silly question, that sometimes as we fault find to a deeper and more technical level that sometimes the basic/obvious stuff gets overlooked. Seen this happen so many times....

Will

14. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Is a 2007 big nikko so nominally 1/8th clicks (calculated to 8.673 clks/Moa). He shot at paper to find his clicks for ranges between 15-55yards, shot the course and completed a 30 shot course dropping maybe 2 or 3 tops. Guns refilled and tea drunk before reshooting the course. a couple lanes in it had become apparent my shots where landing high, typicly 1/2 a kill above kill, at which point I too shot at paper, finding all his clicks going high for me and reshooting at ranges to find my clicks. I have now found them but they look very flat in comparison, almost infeasably so. Nothing on the gun or scope has been changed between shooters, being shot by is both in the same conditions and settings.

15. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Turret could be gone or is sticking/not tracking correctly. Is scope windage and elevation centred?

16. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Young Wlllem just an idea, go round the course with your mate let him shoot the target then you shoot the same target using the same settings this will at least take the rifle and scope out of the equation. I do recall you use glasses like myself i had problems with bifocals and now use single vision does this help any ATB steve

17. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    A very similar test to the one we undertook where he in effect proved his settings, then i shot the same course with his settings, going high all the time, which point we went back on plinking and shot at papers where i found my wierd results, a lot flatter than his....

As for glasses they are single vision for shortsightedness

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Try it from shot to shot. Get him to shoot 55yds one - two shots, then you. Otherwise other things could be happening... simply handing the rifle back and forth within a few shots will be able to show if it's shooting 1.5 MOA higher/lower at 55 or not.

19. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Maybe Ive missed something here but, are your Scopes the same height C to C above the barrels ?
    Peter.

20. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    The problem is between 2 completely different sets of clicks when 2 people are using the same rifle shooting at the same distance.

To the OP, when you are both shooting, is your primary zero in the same place for both of you on the turret?
    i.e. if the 0 on your turret should be for 35 yards, is it for you both? If your start point for counting clicks is different to begin with, then everything else will be off as well.

Can you both sit and shoot at 55 yards? One of you sets the rifle so that it is shooting correctly at the distance.
    Shoot 5 shots, change nothing, pass to other shooter who again shoots 5 and see what happens? Do it off the bench as well to rule of position etc as well.

As has been asked I think, once the px has been set for a given distance, is it properly clear for both of you, of does it need changing to bring back into focus?