Comparing the cost of F.T

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Gibbs, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

With some people saying the top of the range F.T kit putting off some newcomers, I wondered how the cost of F.T compares to other sports.
    I know shooting Skeet used to cost me about £1/min and therefore worked out far more expensive than F.T

Atb,

Alec.

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    You just made me cry....:eek:

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I suppose a lot depends on if you want to go in at the deep end or not.

For a basic good beginners kit you are looking for
    Rifle:
    Springer:- TX200 /HW97/77, Prosport and maybe a few others between £250-500.
    PCP:- S400, protarget RN10, AA100 series, HW100 £300-600
    Scope:- min mag x32 ZOS, BSA Nikko Custom shops £100-500
    bean bag:- £20
    gun bag:- £30-150
    All told in the region of £700 upwards starting with good second hand equipment.

Then just lots of practise and pellets.

Once you have a startup set you can add and change if you feel you need to. For me I used a Custom Shop for 12 years and only sold it to a club member last year when I changed to a Nikko. Stil have my original AR5 (brought in 96) and treated myself to an AR5s in 2004 and still use it today.

Mountain bikes - good ones start around the £500 mark and go up to the £5k+ if you really want to
    Road bikes - can be for the same amount as above I suppose
    Archery - not sure but some maybe

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. Rip-D

Rip-D Looks Pro, Scores Low!

Club:
    Castle F.T.A.R.C
    It's costing me a reasonable chunk to get started, but I'm going in at the deep end I suppose.

When I compare it to other interests I've had like Photography, Computers, Bikes it's great value to me. It's certainly costing at lot less.

I think most beginners can set up and shoot all year at a club for the cost of a years gym membership at a decent place. I know which I would prefer to do :D

5. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    i agree entirely :D

6. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    It's a damn sight cheaper than being married!:eek:
    Don't no one tell Di i said that...:D

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Compound Archery
    Bow £500-900
    Sight £50-250
    Scope to go on the sight £30-250 :eek:
    Release Aid £70-175
    Arrows £100-300 for 12
    Misc additional bits £50-150

Seen more expensive golf clubs ;)

8. Coney

Coney New Member

If you want to compete in coarse fishing for example it could easily cost several thousands of pounds for the gear and you still have tickets and bait to buy, even the bait for a match especially on commercial waters can cost £30+.

FT is much cheaper even if you buy top end kit imho.

Alan.

9. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Thank's for the replies,
    How does golf compare? Any golfers out there?

Atb,

Alec.

10. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Golf

Driver £100-450
    Irons £300- £850
    Bag £100
    Electric trolley £350
    Putter £100- £200
    Membership £500- £2000
    Balls £10- £15 for 3
    Golf glove £10- £15
    Clothing/wet weather gear £200- £300

Can be done much much cheaper though :D

11. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Wow, membership of your average FT club is a little more reasonable!

12. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    Golf again its the same except membership fees at a decent golf club can be from several hundred to several thousand. Beginner set of clubs say £130- £250 Top Brands easy to pay £1500- £3000. My brother is a member of a well known midlands golf club several celebs play there his membership is £2000 annually. A single club such as top brand driver can be few hundred and more.

Shotgunning is expensive cartridges are the cost with fees for Sporting/Trap/Skeet/Flush/DTL. I spend on an average day £60- £80. Good shotgun £1200- £2500. Also when you get into it yo have different guns i,e a short skeet gun, a trap gun and a sporter gun. Cost of airgunning £3.50fee and cost of my 500 pellets if I shoot them all!!!

Paintballing is expensive cost of ammo is over priced.

Airgunning is extremely cheap in comparison.

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Reading the replies makes me cringe on how much I spend a year on travel to shoots having just worked it out to be nearly £400 on ferry fares alone [ 7 Winter league shoots 4 GP and Iceni open] then fuel at a conservative 45mpg another £200+. Logically ignoring the fuel side of the transport

I do a bit of photography using a new camera I brought 6 years ago which cost me the price of a Ripley without a stock back then. Then add the various decent lenses.
    Seafishing (beach) a quick look in the garage and I must have spent nearly £1500 on rods, reel etc and when I did a lot over the winter months £20 on bait a weekend (usually with a few pout on the receiving end :rolleyes: )
    Computing well I do not fancy even going there but £3k+ over 10 years sounds about right upgrading every 3 years or so and getting very little back.

So after a relative large outlay I think FT shooting is probably the cheapest of my hobbies over the time.

14. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Having had a dabble in most things over the last 30 odd years, the equipment you buy can vary dramatically.

Fly fishing.
    Cheap rod. £30. Cheap reel £20
    Expensive rod. £700. Expensive reel. £400

Both do the same thing, and I still have lots of both types of equipment, so it depends on what you want out of it.

Photography. Not long sold most of my equipment.

Pro. DSLR. £4k. Entry level DSLR. £400
    Pro. 500mm f/4 lens. 6k. Third party zoom up to 500mm £800/900
    Pro tripod and head. £1250. Cheap tripod and head. £70

You get what you pay for basically, so Zi reckon for around £700 you can kit yourself out with a good starter FT kit. Or you can go for the top of the range Anschutz rifle and March scope (remortgage the house) look the dogs..but it don't necessarily make you shoot better.

15. EELS

EELS Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen FTC
    £5 a ball! how often do you lose a ball in golf?? If balls equate to ammo, that's 500 pellets; so you'd have to not lose a ball for 4 or 5 weeks to come out ahead - unlikely :D

I've shot my Anshutz for 10 years now; so thats c £2 a week and scopes don't lose money, so the only pass-time that's better value than FT must be breathing..

16. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Depends how good you are :)

I didn't lose many to be honest but they don't last long as the ones you use, if you want to get a good spin of the club face have a relatively soft skin. I would change the ball after the round. However the old ones can be used for range practice.

I used to plat 3 times a week but would use same ball when not in a comp. Comps usually saturday and sunday.

You can get them a lot cheaper though and ones that are more hard wearing.:)

Target shooting is the cheapest sport i have ever done to be honest. Other than sports that don't require much kit such as tennis and squash etc.

Used to do downhill mtb

protection alone £500
    Bike £2-5K
    + travel + entry fees!!!

I have a very understanding missus :D

17. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Dogging is reasonable pass time cost wise if you don't travel too far as the price of fuel does limit your travel radius !

18. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    Ive done model car racing at national level thats 3k a for a national season of 6 events....Model aircraft flying...including helis and variuos other things
    Trust me FT is a cheap hobby / sport and the most social too

19. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I spend about £1000 a year shooting the SWEFTA league shoots and the closest 6 GP's But in comparison with these other sports that still works out cheap. And as said earlier, good FT kit holds it's price.
    I saw an S400 with a 32mag scope sell for £300 the other day. You could buy a new top of the range Anshutz and an 80mag March with a combined price tag of nearly £10,000 but you wouldn't gain much more than a better trigger and a more adjustable stock.

Atb,

Alec.

20. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    sex and golf

Golf is better than sex as a pass time.
    Last's between 4 to 5 hour's,18 different hole's to go at and the less stroke's you take the better.:D:D