cocking handle problem

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by ninogui, May 3, 2010.

1. ninogui

ninogui New Member

Hello all,

I have a Steyr lg110 ft, at 12 ft/lbs with the factory 430mm barrel.

Seen all Steyr movies thoroughly, and already stripped down action to clean twice, last time I refitted the barrel.

After 3 shooting sessions the cocking handle closes up with what I feel to be the right pressure, but it loose up to dry fire position very easily, even if I barely touch it.

And in consequence, at least in half the shots although it shots ok the cocking handle/roller does not stay put, it gets back out same time as the shot is done.

I have tried a few times to reposition the 2 pressure bolts that fit into the action (with the transfer port taken out of course) but to no success.

At an open event I have seen another shooter ´s Steyr just like mine, but his cocking handle when cocking "clicks", instead of pressure down. Mine as well as the Steyr movies show does not "click".

Any of you has ever seen one that "clicks" instead of pressure ?

This one action already has fitted the ball bearing pin under the stabilizer, but could this be a case of cocking lever complement wear out ?

Should I try to reposition the barrel with less force, or should I start looking at the stabilizer also ?

Thks in advance for your insight,

greetings

Nuno

2. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Hi, I have a new type Steyr FT with the external V0 and had the same problem as you had after some self servicing.
    Take out the barrel.
    The 2 screws at the end need to be tightened with the transferport closed all the way.
    The cocking lever has some sort of edge where the ballbearing stays behind, that is the click you hear.
    After that insert the barrel and apply small pressure only and tighten the allen screws.
    Don't take out the stabilizer, it has nothing to do with this issue.
    Good luck,
    Rob

3. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    their is not anuff barrel pressure matey to hold cocking lever in postion,its not a five min job it takes a while trying to get the correct pressure,undo the front barrel screw then the rear 1 and move the barrel back a slight bit tighten rear screw and try cocking to see if its i correct postion etc if so tighten front up as well,it might take a while to get it right,also make sure that the trigger housing which is held in with transfer port and the two allen screws at the rear is completely square as you slide it in and tighten it down,if woz not put back in the same postion this alters your barrel pressure:):):):)

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Lloyd_D

Lloyd_D New Member

speak to MAD's "where's molly" on here

Aka Richard Wood has a fix for this ;)

5. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I don't know if you have a Steyr engineer in Portugal...but I had the same problem once...sent it to Harry Preston. ..York..England.He serviced it, a few modifications...runs beautiful now. Top guy with a very quick turn around.Maintains some of the top olympic teams gear...excellent.

steyr.uk@virgin.net

6. ninogui

ninogui New Member

Ok guys

Will try out, again.. and feedback on that.

funny enough all the videos on Steyr website seem to relate to an older model which is neither the take down ft version nor the hp, seem to be the older olympic 10 meter model.

The video "pressure regulator" doesn ´t talk about a click, only pressure. Mine never had a click sound.. It also states a ceiling white washer underneath the alen head air passage screw (part 55) which mine does not have.

Yours do have it?

rgds

7. ninogui

ninogui New Member

Hi there

No we don ´t. Closest one is in Madrid, Spain (Ibergrips) but I have no idea if this company still exists. That ´s where the gun was bought originally by the previous owner in 2005, serial number 02724. It is 2th hand to me, I bought it 2 months ago. Prev owner serviced it direct in Steyr for a new regulator, was charged only the mail delivery, not parts and work (that ´s what I would call a really great brand service!)

I do not have the pleasure of knowing Mr. Preston, nor his charging politics, but of course I will gladly talk to him.

greets

8. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    i hav 3 steyrs two 110s and a 100,1 of the 110s is 6month old with the bearing cocking and does not hav that washer fitted,mine makes a very slight click when cocking it,i do all my own servicing now and even got a reg checker(just made).ive just serviced my mates 100 and i only charged him for seals which i got for less than a tenner.i get my parts via two different sorce's who dont rip you off with their price's or wont even send you the bits to your self

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. ninogui

ninogui New Member

Thks Chris for your insight,

regulator checker.. you got me curious!

Would you explain?

thks

Nuno

10. ninogui

ninogui New Member

Sorted it out!

I reseted the barrel, took the action out and sanded a bit as shown on the photo, with a 280 grit tiny bit of sanding paper attached to a small allen key for the pressure:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/nino_tsunami/IMG_2687_4.jpg

so it became just a tiny bit more concave.

tuned the 2 bolts for slight pressure, and voi la! the cocking lever stays put with just the right amount of cocking effort.

Anyway, still no audible click, I guess it never will, but that ´s the least of worries.

As I suspected the cocking lever complement (part 156) does wear out overtime (talking about 5 years of gun use) but you can get it to live a bit longer this way.

Problem solved

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  11. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    we set the regs up to 90 bar matey makes the 110/100 run sweat and giving 120 shots over the charge matey:):):)im glad you got sorted