Co2 pistols/rifles

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by steve cash, May 7, 2019.

1. steve cash

steve cash New Member

Club:
    None
    Earlier in the year I bought a crosman 2300T Co2 pistol, it was a bit of a challenge to get decent spread/groups of shots but enjoyed the novelty of the gun, not long after I bought the 2250XL ratbuster (Co2) type rifle.... again a bit of a novelty at first, but after a while I discovered it wasn’t very accurate at all, good for shooting tin cans at 15yds but not much else in my view.
    I’ve recently wrapped these up and stashed them in the attic out the way.
    Has anyone else had similar experience?.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Generally, yes. The Crosman stuff is cheap as chips in the US and gets and obscene margin added by the UK importers; making them poor value for their quality / level of performance they're capable of out of the box.

steve cash likes this.
  3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    A few people shoot CO2 pistols/rifles at one of my clubs.

In short - they are shyte. I've seen better groups (like the Nolans! :()

steve cash likes this.
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    We did have one down there Ash that wouldn't group on an A4 sheet of paper at 10m. In fact I seem to remember it barely grouped inside one at 6 yds. No exaggeration. Turns out the pellets were to blame and the JSB's I gave the chap got him down to an inch at 20yds and he was happy. All relative innit. Just had to try and cheer him up about a joke about the 10 tins of fishing weights he'd bought. Still he might work in a windy office or perhaps his boat lists...

steve cash likes this.
  5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Apart from temp sensitivity which makes it less than ideal for outdoor shooting especially in the UK, there's nothing wrong with CO2 as a propellant. The thing is though the vast majority of CO2 guns are cheap plinkers: blowback replica pistols and the rifles have cheap barrels on them. The older design Umarex replica pistols with the 8 or 10 shot revolver mags can be accurate with the right pellet. The CP88 6" barrel and Smith and Wesson 586 replicas I used to have could score in the 90s on a 10m ISSF pistol target.

Crosman barrels do vary massively. You can get a good one; the 1377 I've got is a tack driver with the right pellet but the 2250 I had grouped like a shotgun.

steve cash likes this.