clean Steyr barrel

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by bootneckbob, Apr 23, 2011.

1. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Hi, just thought I'd ask the educated forum on here what there thoughts are on this. Currently my LG110 seems to group better if the barrel's pulled through every fill. I've heard other people say they never clean theirs; I know each barrel is different, but am I likey to do more damage than good pulling it through every fill?
    I don't mind doing it, and I can see it would make for a consistant shooting, so your thoughts please..........

also, on a slight aside, I think the batch of JSB Exacts i'm using aren't great, which does make any kind of test pointless!
    They're 8.4 4.52 which have in the past been spot on, but currently don't group that well. If I put some 7.9 Express in it they group fantastically. Now before you all say the obvious (shoot them), the old batch of Exact were equally as good.

Thanks in advance for any replies and taking the time to read this on what is a beautiful afternoon!
    :)
    Rob

2. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Mine loved to be pulled through after every 400 shots and went back to peachy with 4.53 exacts. Eventually i sussed that if I just put a couple of felts down the barrel after I had used it, it doubles the length of time til it needed cleaned.

3. PeteM

PeteM New Member

My LG110 definitely groups better with regular barrel cleaning, in fact I'm cleaning it about every 200 to 300 shots.
    I don't think you can damage the barrel by cleaning as long as you use the right equipment.
    I use the VFG system & BreakFree cleaner/lubricant then a little Lupus Grease on a felt & pulled thru to finish.

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I bought my LG100 secondhand and with a VFG cleaning kit I put over 25 felts (and paste) through it, and they were still coming out black:eek: So I left it at that. It did tighten the groups.
    I now clean it every half a tin (250ish) But I still never get the felts properly clean?
    Should I keep going until they are coming out completely clean? If so, I need to buy a lot more felts!

5. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    I put a strip of the Swan extra fine filter tips through the barrel after every shoot and I find that it reduces the need for a pull through.
    They are 5mm diameter, so just need a quick roll between the finger tips to make them a nice fit for .177, and they are much cheaper than the VFG felts.
    They also do a slim, which are 6mm diameter, so ideal for .22

Extra Fine Filters

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  6. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Yes...!

From my recent experience, yes you should get the felts clean.
    Don't use the paste anymore though, it a bit like Jewellers Rouge and polishes the bore.

As above I use BreakFree cleaner/lubricant to clean out the lead with one of the VFG green felts,
    then 4 or 5 white felts to get rid of excess cleaner/lubricant, till they are clean.
    Then I use the Lupus Grease (which is an additional part of the VFG System) it is a PTFE - Teflon Lubricant. 1 white felt soaked in the grease run up and down the barrel 2 or 3 times, then a couple more white felts to soak up the excess, the last one come out fairly white & almost dry, then clean excess from the crown & the breech end of the barrel.

Weaponcare.Com is VFG website

Intershoot has the full range of VFG products - Lupus Grease here

I have found this tightens up the groups very nicely, I'm doing it every 200 to 300 shots, if I leave longer the groups really start to open up.

I don't notice any running in period apart from the first shot after cleaning, which can come in half a kill low. I'm running my rifle at 751fps. Seems to be it's sweet spot.

Hope this helps...:)

7. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Thanks Pete, Ive got some carb cleaner and i'll use that. I do also use the Lupus grease and also find no running in period after a couple of shots. Thanks for the link.:)

8. PeteM

PeteM New Member

I would recommend the BreakFree as it is designed for firearms, removing copper & lead build ups in barrels.

BreakFree website

A Bargain here

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. bootneckbob

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Thanks for the replies. I pull mine through with the Naiper blue patches. I only use one, maybe two and generally the pellets are bang on first shot. Although I know what you guys mean by the first one been off if it's really clean.

10. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    My old 110 that my son now has wasnt particularly fussy about regular barrel cleaning. My new Hunter likes a damned good seeing too every couple of hundered shots, although I now use the blue patch/ LT1 lube after every shoot just to be sure she is on song for the next shoot. Not that you would notice any difference to my scoring though!

Andy

11. bootneckbob

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Hi Andy, yes I never noticed I needed to clean my old 110 FT, but my 110 rifle now is a Hunter (all be it very dressed up), and it definitely groups tighter with regular pulling through.
    Anyway, after todays performance a clean barrel is the least of my problems!;)

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    seen an early LG110 need them every 50 or so before it settled down and the cleaning period could be extended... it needed rodding with felt to prevent a POI shift that just shooting felts wouldnt touch.

13. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Good point Rob, I feel my Steyr barrels need cleaning less the older they get so I would guess the get ‘shot in . A lot of full bore shooters run barrels in with a careful shoot and clean cycle.
    The newer LG110 needed cleaning every 250 shots. It now goes 5-600 before I clean it. I used VFG green felts on pull through followed by a few white ones for this. This process will keep the barrel accurate once it has had a thorough clean with the full VFG kit and white paste. Be sparing with the paste on only the first few felts but give it a thorough scrubbing. Pull through with soft white felts until thoroughly clean, removing ALL the paste. This is very important and may take up to 30 felts.

14. J00SPD29

J00SPD29 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Hello mate,

I have a .177 LG110 HP Hunting, mine likes a fairly regular clean to keep it grouping nice and tight.
    You won't do any damage with regular cleaning as long as you use the right stuff and don't over do it.
    As for the latest batches of JSB Exact 4.52 I don't know whats going on, they are rubbish, all over the place, not as they were a few months ago so I thought I would weigh a few. Wow, the weight is all over the place as well, they are supposed to be around the 8.44 grn mark but this latest sleeve I'm using range from 8.20 grn to 8.64 grn, a variation of 0.44 grn.
    I checked a tin of JSB Express 4.52's that I had lying around and they are pretty consistent with a variation of about 0.20 grn

15. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I have been using Express recently but have once again changed to Mosquito. I know that they are allegedley the same pellet, but the group sizes disagree.
    Andy

16. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    batch to batch they vary, both in performance and shape... the sticker on the tin is just that, a sticker ;)

17. Sharpe

Sharpe Semper fidelis

Club:
    Maldon
    Shame you didnt clean it before we came up there and kicked your butt :D:D:D

18. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Just to illustrate the importance of running the rifle over the chrono to see what it's REALLY doing:

[​IMG]

Shooting the rifle, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between an inconsistency in the ammo and error in technique, but the chrono reveals that for this rifle at least, the JSB Exacts are all over the bloody shop.

It certainly backs up my gut feeling that the JSB Exact Express, and Falcon Accuracy Plus produced more consistent results.

On an older Steyr, I found that the JSB Exacts 4.53 were consistent, and the Falcons were up and down. You really need to test each individual barrel with a range of pellets.

19. TourneySteve

TourneySteve New Member

Club:
    Midshires
    Would you use the Breakfree cleaner on a patch and pull it through the barrel or use it on the VFG cleaning felts and fire it through? And the same question about the lupus grease?

20. stelibg

stelibg New Member

Hi,
    I own Steyr LG 110 FT, produced in 2011. Air rifle shoot perfectly, until barrel is clean. I must clean evey 50-60 shots with vfg white pellets, before air rifle shoot perfect again. I shooted about 700 pellets. How many shot i must make before barrel "shoot in"?

Can i use Napier Gun cleaner (spray) and napier gun oil for cleaning the barrel?