Chrony F1 Indoor Lighting Rig for £5!

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by J00SPD29, May 4, 2011.

1. J00SPD29

J00SPD29 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Some of you guys may have seen this before but I had a spare ten minutes so thought I would make the effort and post it for those who may find it useful, here goes.

Parts required:

1 x 13 AMP plug (I would advise swapping the fuse for a 3 AMP just for safety)
    3 Meters of 0.5 mm flex
    1 x cable connector (not essential, I just chose to wire the two lamp holders into one so no need then to use two plugs)
    2 x Lamp / bulb holders
    2 x 60 Watt Candle bulbs
    (a bit of insulating tape and a clothes peg from the garage)

Got all of the above from my local Wilko store for about a fiver!

Make up the lighting rig as per picture, fix the bulb holders to the Chrony's sun shade, I used a bit of insulating tape. Make sure that the bulbs are angled away sufficiently from the plastic sun shade so not to damage it with the heat, notice the half a clothes peg wedged under each one!
    Thats all there is to it, it took me less than an hour and it works perfectly without errors.

Tip: If you have florescent lights in your garage make sure you turn them off as they flicker at a very high rate that the eye cannot detect so will cause the Chrony to error.

Just to check the readings I tried it outdoors where it was originally designed to be used, its as near as dammit the same, on average I would say that the outdoor readings are about 2 - 3 fps higher, its very close as each shot varies slightly anyway. This may be down to the fact that the outdoor light is just that bit better.

Hope you find it useful.

Rob

Attached Files:

2. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    i stick a cardboard box over mine givs a better reading but that will work the same as my proper lithing kit for f1,its only when its dark in the room and a lights on etc il stick box over it:):)

3. tezza2403

tezza2403 New Member

Very good. Just what I need in December as the light outside isn't enough to make the F1 pick up the pellets.:)