Chrono Testing

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by AndyIoW, Dec 14, 2010.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

This is not a thread with regards how. why and what about testing but a query to regards the limts at competitions.

I understand that the BFTA have a 5fps lower than the maximum on the testing at GP's and other events.
    Example JSB = 8.44g Max velocity = 800fps BFTA Max velocity = 795fps.

It is something that our club is putting into place next year (we do random Chrono checks 2 or 3 times a year)

Is there a similar limit at UKAHFT events?

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

No Andy, if they are 12ft/lbs or lower then they are allowed in UKAHFT events

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I was just wondering what would happen if someone was thrown off a course with 796fps?

It's just a what if.....but what if someone was thrown off the course with 796fps and then decided to take legal action to recoup hotel/petrol/comp costs as the uk law states 800fps.

4. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Thank you for clarifying that.

Which is mine is set for 770fps using JSB's gived me plenty of margin of error for te temperature changes. I think you are allowed a few shots under the BFTA rules.

5. Jon

Jon Member

Providing the chrono used is correct at time tested but who is to know.
    770ft/sec border line excluding any gun deficiencies.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    but it's the competition limit chris, so one could argue that the competitor knew or should have known that beforehand.

7. Jon

Jon Member

Quite agree there Rob, my argument is the deficient chronos taken as correct when they are blatantly not.

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Does it ?

It does not matter that the chrono is not exactly right as long as it is the same for all .you have the chance to use the chrono before the comp starts to check and adjust your rifle . taking into account that it may well get hotter later on . it is either the chrono or go back to the old days when he who had the most power won ??? HOLLY PS personally i would not mind going back to a pendulum power meter . cheap . easy to set up and all clubs could afford one . you would need to use a standard pellet i think though .

9. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    The BFTA Main Shoot Rules, Rule 3: Equipment testing states that:

(Grand Prix Series Competitions) A minimum of one registering shot and a maximum of 3 registering shots will be allowed over the chronograph, if the gun registers over the Current Legal Limit the shooter will be asked to remove the gun from the course. If the gun registers over the BFTA Limit but under the Current Legal Limit the shooter will receive a YELLOW CARD. On the issue of the first YELLOW CARD the shooter will receive a warning, will be allowed to carry on with the Competition and his/her score will count. On the issue of a second or subsequent YELLOW CARD during the season the score will be void.

10. 2fix

2fix New Member

chrono

just going to ask mk2 ev never mind anti tamper not touched what would happen if test chrono said over 12lbs gun sent for police test and pasted what would happen :confused:

11. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    I would imagine the same as would happen if I turned up at an HFT shoot and then decided to sue because I wasn't allowed to compete sitting! Not much except for the pointing and sniggering :)

12. RobF

Club:
    it would have to be sent to the police... i don't think the BFTA are going to back their chronos enough to call the police in to seize a rifle ;)

13. rich

rich Active Member

Holly I have to say I disagree totally with the line that it doesn't matter if the chrono is right or wrong. It matters absolutely and fundamentally. What is the point of anyone spending a week preparing their rig, happy that it is in their view comfortably within the limit, as tested on their own chrono which they know is kosher, only to be DQ'd having driven 200 miles to take part in a shoot, DQ'd by a non-certified chrono.

Now I am a relative unknown on the GP circuit, I don't travel outside the region, so if I arrived and my gun measures hot I am dismissed. But somebody as well known and high profile as you for example, you turn up and your gun is hot, let's say for example Rob's gun measures hot, so does Berty's for example, not suggesting they would but it's to illustrate the point, when three or more big names are sent off then someone is going to say, hey, that is odd, maybe the chrono is a bit dicky today, let them shoot after all. Too late in my case, I've started the 200 mile trek home.

No no no, if there is to be a chrono there at all it HAS to be accurate and it HAS to have a valid calibration certificate. If the organisers can't provide that then don't play at testing.

14. RobF

Club:
    certificates aside, if the chrono starts to fail, then it would be another scenario mid comp.

that's happened before.

it's an old chestnut... if you don't have it, then what power is everyone running?

15. Andy Bee

Andy Bee L plate

Is it beyond the realms of affordability to have two chronoscopes. One in use and another that can be used to verify results. OK, not definitive proof of legality, but if I was driving home after a 400 mile round round trip at least I'd feel as though I'd been given a fair disqualification.

(Oh, and hello folks, first post here, just arrived). It all looks a bit awe inspiring, but I'm having a good look round).

16. rich

rich Active Member

My argument is not to not have it, it is to do it properly.

You might as well get all shooters to roll two dice and anyone with a double six is out, if the chrono can't be relied upon.

17. PeteM

PeteM New Member

I have to say that I agree with the above.

From the Skan website:
    ANNUAL CALIBRATION TEST WITH CERTIFICATE PRO1S3 £65 + £9 p&p
    ANNUAL CALIBRATION TEST WITH CERTIFICATE FOR MK10 & 9 = £115 + £24 p&p

So, it's not going to make a massive dent in the BFTA budget to have 2 certificated chrono's at a competition.

I quote these prices because BFTA uses Skan Chrono's.

It would give everybody confidence in the system, simple really.

In fact why not buy 2 new units of the latest model say a the SKAN PRO1 SERIES 3 DIAMOND CHRONO which are £179.00 (inc p+p)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  18. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    chronos

this whole issue needs to be sorted . if chronos are to be used ( and yes i agree they should be used )
    then they must work properly . its not difficult to have a standby chrono or infact have the main one tested

there should be a proven way to set it up so the problems dont arrise . i did not shoot many comps this year but the storys that come back about the chrono are crazy .

most shooters know what there guns are running at and to go to the chrono and it reeds 50 fps or 1800 fps is silly (these are actual figures i have heard )

i have also heard of the chrono not working properly and not giving a reading and shooters just writing 780 on thre card.

would it not be possible to a couple of the combros there calibrated to the bfta chrono (incase of the bfta chrono going tits up )

the only issue with having 2 chronos is which one is correct :rolleyes:

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    I see where you are coming from rich . but this is a delicate instrument . yes it has a certificat at the beginning of the year . but once dragged around the country who is to say what is what . plus it is being used outdoors , where to be fair it is not supposed to be . thus that is why i say i ballistic meter would be fairer overall . i would use a 10.6 bisley mag pellet as standard testing pellet . now that would upset a few people i can tell you ??? HOLLY

20. 2fix

2fix New Member

chrono

does this mean we have to carry cailbratedscales to check the caibrated pellets to shoot over the cailbrated chrono :D:D:D:D