Changing your rig before a comp

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi all

I have a new stock and was tempted to fit it the day before competing at the sussex interclub but have bottled it through fear of shooting badly :eek: ( no jokes please sussex shooters , look at the percentages . lol )

I recall at one shoot at Ford I was still fitting new mounts on my rifle with 15 mins to go before the whistle :D ... shot quite well IIRC

What last minute changes have you ever made to your hft set up and did it work or not ???

atvb

Dave

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i find that if the rig is working ok, then changes make you a little bit nervous, and you tend to pay attention more and shoot sharper... of course, if you've done it wrong your proper 'k'd.

3. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

i sold my scope this week and mine didnt turn up in time for my weekend club HFT comp so my mate lent me a scope i was zeroin in 10 -15 mins before the comp i shot a 44 / 60 not very good :mad: i didnt have a range card all i new was it was pretty flat between 20 and 40 yards hence i plated almost every close up target and coz it was so blured on the close up shot i couldnt see where the pellet was goin :mad::mad::mad:

dont change before a comp lol

4. the rifleman

the rifleman New Member

If I knew that steve I could have lent you my S400 that I had in the car as a spare rifle .You might have done better .

5. Feral

Feral New Member

Dave plonk it in the new bit of wood and let it ride, it can't get any worse ;)

6. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

You can't surely be stooping that low Cliff after the way you shot today :eek: ... have a nice kip mate ! :D

atvb

Dave

PS : thanks for the pump mate , much appreciated

7. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Active Member

I used my Walther for the first time at the Worlds.:eek:

8. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I've done it too many times:eek: sometimes it pays off some times it doesn't, a few years ago when i first had the MK3, on the Thursday before the comp on the Sunday went to David Snooks to build the gun:eek: and lucky enough i ended up winning the comp.
    Last year i tried to many different kits and the results showed, but saying that i tried a new scope and a lighter cylinder at M.A.D and that went my favour.
    But if you don't give yourself time to learn the new rig 90% of the time you will suffer.

Pete

9. Feral

Feral New Member

14 clicks Dave, 14 clicks! If some HFT fairy hadn't dialed my top turret out I'd have cleared it no problemo! 1.3 mil dots low at 35 yards. It's lucky Daniel was there I'd have probably thrown a hissy! ;)

...on another note are you planning on heading for Biggin Hill saturday, if so ping me on the mobile we can hook up at the Grolsch wagon for a quick pint.

10. nibbley-uk

nibbley-uk Dirty Daz

I had my Ev2 all set to use at the worlds and then bought a whiscombe the week before, after putting a scope on it on the thursday i just had to use it for the first time on the saturday, and after a good score i realised all was not well but foolishly used it on the sunday and bombed only to find the scope was knackered.
    So i would say know your kit, make sure all is well with what you are going to shoot as rash decisions could lead to long journeys being a waste of time. :rolleyes:

11. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I used 4 different guns and 4 scopes last year, my scores showed all was not well!

Made a promise to myself this year not to mess about with the competition gun.:D

12. skipper

skipper New Member

I put an Airstripper/muzzle brake on just before UKAHFT at Tawde bad mistake :(

13. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I stuck a new stock on 2 days before th UK matchplay last year...and then won:eek:
    Changed scope 2 days before last years North Oxon UK round...and shot a 59:D
    Maybe there is a pattern emerging here.....Im going to change my barrel just before Bisley/Basingstoke and hopefully it'll be back to back clears :D:D:D