Chairgun

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Having never used chairgun before I put the app.on my Iphone last night.How do your callies from the real world so to speak,compare to chair guns?
    Thanks

2. rick

rick Member

We have several club members who use it and rate it.

3. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    good info in, accurate info out, :)

rubbish in...... rubbish out:eek:

make sure your BC, pellet weight, FPS and mount height is accurate, and it works.

Only use the makers BC as a guide, I find it's best to work your own out from muzzle and 20y chrono readings.

a lazier way is to use a default bc of 0.025

4. J00SPD29

J00SPD29 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Good.
    As said previously by others, its only as good as the data input into it. I've always found it accurate to within 0.5 yard. I don't know anyone who can genuinely say that they can accurately range find to 0.5 yard!
    The iPhone App is very useful but personally I find it a lot more user friendly on the PC.

5. peadar_911

peadar_911 Too old to die young.

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    It works very well but, as previously stated, you need to ensure the info that you input is as accurate as possible i.e. MV, BC, scope height etc.

Chairgun for a PC may be better, but you can't carry it around in your pocket.:D

6. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    If there is anything you think needs adding or modifying the developer, a guy named Dave, is very helpful and accommodating. Contact him through the feedback button.
    I contacted him about the rangefinder, and he added the mill dot rangefinder section.

Rift

7. Peter Montanez

Peter Montanez Be Excellent!

I've spent endless hours trying to get ChairGun to match my rigs real world performance,
    I can't even get close.

8. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

I find it very accurate if you feed it correct data as said in previous posts.

Probably the hardest bit of data is the scope height because you can't really measure it that easy.

Many people will tell you centre of barrel to centre of scope and even if you could measure that it would be incorrect (granted not by a lot) because what you should be measuring is the scope line i.e. the reticle at the muzzle.

How I do it is measure centre of barrel to centre of scope, zero my rifle very carefully at (for me) 25 yards, when I'm happy with the zero I'll shoot the rifle at 10 yards measure the point of impact and tweak the scope height in chairgun to match it :)

9. Peter Montanez

Can you be more specific about this process, I don't understand :confused:

As far as I know all the data i have is correct, still doesn't come close. :(

10. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

its prety accurate for all my guns bar one. the daystate and bsa ultras its good,
    but the 13" ev2 barreled experimental bsa its miles out. strange as the breeches,power, scope and everything bar barrel and reg pressure/different valving are the same!

must be the barrel doing something odd..... im not complaining like but very unusual......

11. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

Well the pellets trajectory starts as it leaves the barrel and that's where the scope height should be measured at the end of the barrel, the crown.

Because in most rifles the barrel is either slightly pointing up or the mount rail pointing down which is required the scopes line is pointing towards the barrel and will actually cross it the further out you go and obviously that's extremely difficult to measure (A) because the scope can't really be measured at the barrels crown and (B) because you have a smaller tube inside the scope which may or may not be central and is what really needs to be measured.

What I do is...

1) Work out my pellet rifle combos coefficient by shooting through 2 chronos, 1 at the muzzle and 1 at 25 yards (I will shoot through both chronos at the muzzle 1st to make sure they are both calibrated).
    Once I have BC I'll enter that into chairgun.

2) I'll measure barrel diameter and half it, I'll measure scopes objective diameter and half that too and finally measure the gap between top of barrel and bottom of objective.

Example, barrel 14mm = 7mm, objective 50mm = 25mm and gap 10mm.

7+25+10 =42mm 1.65 inch. I enter 1.65 inch in chairgun for scope height. I also enter the pellet weight and rifles muzzle velocity along with the zero, lets say 25 yards and scope click values which again are not as simple as 1/8 or 1/4, best to measure them!

Chairgun will now give you all the data you need, POI, clicks and so on.

3) I'll carefully zero my rifle at my chosen zero range (25 yards), then shoot it at 10 yards (also very carefully) and measure the point of impact from where I'm aiming.

For example if let's say my POI at 10 yards is -0.5 inch but chairgun says it should be -0.65 inch I'll tweak my scope height in chairgun, lowering it from the 1.65 inch I entered until I get it to read -0.5 inch at 10 yards in chairgun :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  12. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Hi Pete,

I tried this, tried to get it to work, then binned it and sat on a measured range working it out in the real world, it took longer but I loved trying to hit pellet marks at 55 yards.

13. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Another variable that many people dont consider is the magnification of your scope or its mildot spacing is rarely true, to get an acurate measurement of your scopes actual mag at any given setting on the mag ring you should high light the inch increments on a ruler with a marker pen and then put this out at around 27 yards for measuring at 10x mag. At 10x mag the mildot spacing should coincide with 1" at 27.7 yards, keep moving either yourself or the ruler untill your dots line up with the marks on the ruler at the mag you use then accuratly measure the distance, for chairgun it is best to measure from the end of the barrel to the ruler, then the mag can be tweaked in CG untill the dots coincide with inches at the distance you measured. Then you can note the actual mag your scope or to be more accuate the mag to use to get the correct dot spacing that it is set at in CG and use this for that mag setting on your gun when doing CG calcs.
    Scope mag can change slightly when the px is brought into the short distances that we use in HFT or the mildots may not be quite truely spaced, either way this method will bring your actual dot spacing into line with the program eliminating another variable.

Also the physical centre to centre measurement of the scope height is not always correct as the zeroing of the scope involves moveing the erector tube within the scope, this can make the light path enter the scope either above or below centre, i also use the method described by Dia6olo above to find the correct height to use.

Tommy, i think that gun of yours is achieving a higher bc so you should do some down range and at the muzzle velocity measurements to establish exactly what your bc is. you can borrow my down range chrono if you like? Then measure your scope dots and then use the method described earlier to determine the actual scope height, that should get you closer to whats happening.
    But when it shoots as flat as it does i would,nt worry about it, just use it!!

14. Peter Montanez

Thanks

Thanks for that explanation.

15. Peter Montanez

This is the way I do it now.

I have a range measured and marked every 5 yards. from 8 to 15 yards marked every yard. from 50 to 55 marked every yard.

I set it out so the 0 point is where the target is, then the numbering moves out to 55 yards.
    When I'm setting up I simply move to a new position shoot that distance on paper, when I get a consistent POI & click value, I then shoot a 15mm field target for closer ranges, for longer ranges I use a 25 mm field Target.

16. springboy

springboy Member

I tried this and it told me my scope is 1.85 inch above the barrel.I know the scope is 2.32 inch above the barrel.So that don't work for me.:(

17. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

That would suggest some other measurement is incorrect or maybe the rifle isn't grouping as well as it should which makes it difficult to zero with absolute accuracy and likewise to then precisely see what's happening at 10 yards?

Many people use Chairgun and it is very accurate but unfortunately the data entered is critical :)