Central southern winter league, your thoughts !

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by baldini, Aug 19, 2013.

1. baldini

baldini Member

Club:
    Wendover
    Recently at Wendover we've been discussing this years winter league and various ways we may be able to make it even more enjoyable, competitive and "level the playing field" so to speak to some of the larger clubs. One suggestion is to enter four man teams ( as many teams from each club as you like), this would not only give the smaller clubs a fighting chance but also larger clubs members the chance to shoot within a team. Another suggestion was to drop the score of one round ( your worst team score or the one you may not have shot )
    Im personally in favour of both of the above as its pretty much what we did years ago,

What's your thoughts ?

Mark.M

2. Tarzan

Tarzan Member

Csfta

This would work but how about considering a shotgun start and stopwatches.

3. Pokeandhope

Pokeandhope Member

Central southern winter league, your thoughts

As a member of a " larger club" , I think it can only be good to make the league more competitive every in in the region has at least 3 good shooters. I don't think you can predict the winners .
    Pokeandhope

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Teams idea sounds good to me. Might get a bit of intra club rivalry going as well :)

5. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

It's got to be better for the region , if we went for a shotgun start then teams could shoot against each other on allocated lanes would get people shooting with some one from a different club each round.

6. rich

rich Active Member

Controversial:

If you are allowed to drop the lowest score, should you also forfeit the highest score as well, so the remaining scores are more indicative of your normal performance?

I ask this as the retiring scores and grading honcho for SWEFTA where we looked at such proposals in the past.

7. RobF

Club:
    Yeh. Like the idea of a 10 am shotgun start as well.

8. RobF

Club:
    That's grading Rich. This is scoring. ;)

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmm now rob where have a i heard and seen this in action before ? 4 men to a team ? worst score dropped ?. 10.00 am start ?. shotgun start ? Hmmmmm . Oh Yes . SEFTA ??? HOLLY
    PS while you are at it . comp sec does the cards before hand to make sure every body shoots with everybody through the winter . plus inspects the course before the shoot starts to make sure there are no dodgy lanes or targets .:):D

10. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

All scores go to grading its only the team event where you drop a score

11. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

Would love to see courses vetted after two of the rounds last year

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Range

When i was comp sec .the zero range opened not later than nine o clock . gives the comp sec time to fire a few shots to check zero . check all the targets can be seen . no twigs , strings work . numbers can be seen . if any looked long check it . IE range finder . cards are pre prepared so as to make sure every body shoots with every body ( well almost everybody , cos some do not get on with some ) . briefing and shoot starts at ten o clock , shotgun start . only prob is that the comp secs scores go down with all the work . ??? HOLLY

13. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

I think you should run the csfta

14. RobF

Club:
    He can this winter :D

15. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Having read this thread and been thinking overnight I am going to put some thoughts together.

I can see that forming teams is a great way of increasing the challenge as well as a specific start time. With this in mind, the thoughts of teams got me thinking that if we are going to have teams of 4 then maybe 2 of the scores that count should come from B and C. Such as either B and a C or two C s.

This might be controversial but I think it would encourage the teams, in general, to become more even. Some clubs may not have AA or A grades within them and by then having to go against teams that are made up of those higher grades it would possibly discourage shooters from becoming part of a team. Not everyone can attend the shoots with work and personal commitments, so another thought is having a pool of say 8 people named for that team for the season. The other point is that some clubs may not be able to field even 4 and so the region should allow shooters from other clubs to join that team.

Shotgun start time of 10-30am would allow for clubs that are travelling from the extreme reaches of the region to reach the clubs at the other extremes and any traffic or weather conditions that arise during the travel to the round. Also any issues with the course can be identified and corrected beforehand which should reduce the number of whistles. With on average of 40 people attending each event the round should still finish by 1pm (2 shooters per lane taking a total of 6 minutes to complete each lane = 120mins). If more than 40 then the extras can either be on feed on lanes or make 3 on the earlier lanes.

The shoots should still be open to all those that wish to attend as Winter leagues are sometimes the first taste of competition for new club shooters.

16. tim g

tim g Member

Club:
    North Oxon
    Top stuff

Really like the ideas of the OP.
    Andy, I think you may have forgotten that there are handicap points awarded to shooters in grades below AA to help where clubs can't put together teams of AAs. I am assuming that this will be maintained in any new format?
    I do like the idea of a 10:30 start time as i'm a lazy git.
    Tim

17. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Hi Guys,

From my aspect I don t mind the format changing to open up the ‘Team/Club trophy,

But I think you will have to look into it in a deeper way if you really want to make a change over the 1st,2nd or 3rd positions at the end of the season. Any of the clubs can put in a winning score on the day, but what they possibly lack is the ability to do it consistently throughout the league.

Andy has an idea about the teams being of mixed grade, but is that just going to affect the top three current clubs say of last season, where the FT members are mainly A and AA grade?

I do agree with the suggestions that were made about making stop watches compulsory and also the shotgun start idea.

Also what about the CSFTA showdown in its current format or would it be best to just run an ‘Open end of season shoot?

Are the W/L dates up yet?

Cheers,
    Justin

18. tim g

tim g Member

Club:
    North Oxon
    Good point about the showdown Justin.
    I like:
    Change teams comp to 4 named members, keeping current handicap system :)
    10:30 shotgun start :)
    Elected course checker(s) :)
    Stop watches :) -If CSFTA can't provide stop watches let us all know so we can sort our own in good time.
    End of season showdown is good but we don't have enough proper FT comps over winter so would prefer there to be at least 7 rounds (rather than 6 + showdown). Perhaps use savings from showdown trophies to pay for stopwatches??
    Anywho, all this chin scratchin is good for the region :)
    T

19. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

It was an idea and as we just usually enjoy the day out and prop table up at the end of each round.

There has been some emails going around from Andy S with date suggestions but nothing confirmed in stone as of yet.

20. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    I agree with the named teams idea, I do not agree that teams should be able to drop a round. Each team can drop a shooters score at every round, I think that is sufficient.

Alan.