Carrying an air rifle safely.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by luddite, Nov 13, 2013.

1. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Bearing in mind the safety rules which state that any gun must not be pointed at anyone and must be treated as loaded.

What is so difficult in carrying an air rifle pointing in a safe direction, ie downward toward the ground?

I see people who are experienced shooters carrying them horizontal, pointing at people.

Worse, I see experienced shooters still carrying them by the scope /scope rail.

This is bad practice and will encourage new shooters to follow suit.

So if anyone can explain, please tell me why it is so difficult to carry an air rifle pointing down?

2. Jinx

Jinx Non member

I always keep mine pointed down, or in the bag between lanes etc.
    Habit now more than anything.

3. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Pet hate

It's all about mentality,people have done it for years and it's a bad habit to get out of.
    You would think of all the rules to abide by,safety would be the main one.
    Sadly individuals are stuck in there way,s,and really sad is the fact that kids look up to these people.
    I think we will end up having to bag rifles between lanes,then people will not get to admire our pride and joy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

people do it on purpose to wind up a winging old ****...

No need to thank me Ken.:D

P.s....genuinely joking:D:D;):D:D

5. Jinx

Jinx Non member

As i said, Mines always kept in the bag between lanes.
    I bought it to knock down targets not have it admired. I like it, it works, and when it's in the bag it's safe.
    Simples :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  6. Pidlar

Pidlar Member

I always comply with the rules at whatever club or competition I am visiting.Aside from the always treating a rifle as unloaded Rule,as a shooter taught by the military the standard practice is to carry the rifle muzzle up.The reasoning being certain surfaces will enduce a ricochet should an N.D. occur.
    Having attended a few busy competitions lateley ive noticed that a lot of shorter set ups that are slung muzzle down actually point way forward of the vertical axis, and in close proximity of say 1 to 2 metres would result in a person taking a pellet wound anywhere from the ankle up to the lower thigh.
    Just my 2p,
    Regards,Stu.

7. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    It should be muzzle up, breech open and safety flag inserted in breech.

Safe if discharged, visual indication that it is in a safe position.

Breech flags are tricky with many air weapon designs but there ought to be a compatible way to do what all the other smallbore (and fullbore) shooters do.

In a bag doesn't make it safe enough.

Neil

8. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Muzzle down was agreed by NEFTA as some grounds are on a slope.

A tall shooter stood, or walking, behind another shooter is likely to have the second shooter's muzzle sticking in his/her face.

If I were to be shot I would prefer it to be in my lower extremities than in the face.

9. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Ho ho ho, has anyone ever told you you're funny Chris ? :confused:

Didn't think so. :D

10. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    FAC guys from the Sywell indoor range will always adopt a muzzle up position when the gun is not pointed down range. Bullets which ricochet off a concrete floor could go anywhere. A bullet leaving a muzzle pointed upwards will go through the roof, without a ricochet.
    So far as I am aware, Sywell FT shooters carry their guns pointing muzzle down, on the basis that a pellet into the soil or the grass will be absorbed.
    On the Sywell outdoor range, which has steel angle as part of the roof construction, and a concrete floor, for the covered shooting area, all guns are required to point up range (horizontal)

It all appears to me to be perfectly logical, and in each instance, with sound safety reasons.

Personally, I will always carry my gun muzzle down at FT events, because that is what I'm used to at Sywell.
    Unless it is raining or muddy, when I will put the gun in the slip between each lane.
    However, no-one has ever corrected me at a GP or Winter League event.
    I would value a definitive statement about gun handling at BFTA events.

11. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    BFTA Rules are for the way a course is conducted. The hosting Club determines safety (as is their right and in support of their rules, regulations and insurance). There is a (mandatory??) safety briefing before the start of a BFTA competition (e.g. GPs) and all participants must attend (You have to question if any insurance cover applies if someone chooses not to attend the briefing and becomes involved in an incident).

In the BFTA Main Shoot Rules it states (17):
    Guns will only be sighted, shouldered or discharged over a recognised firing line. Guns will always be kept un-loaded and un-cocked when not in use.

Neil

12. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I agree with what Stu has said. I'm also military, but that aside, rifles slung muzzle up do tend to hang vertically. Fortunately I haven't heard of anyone catching one up from an ND on a course, but I see rifles pointing in all sorts of dodgy directions whilst following the muzzle down rule. I think the short and tall shooter reason for not carrying muzzle up is very weak, unless we're talking a child with a very short barrel rifle. Anyway, rules are rules!

Just my 2p too

Rob

13. Adz

Adz Banned

I carry mine uncocked and unloaded..............seems to work

14. Pidlar

Pidlar Member

Agreed But as i carry my rifle slung vertically upwards even if you were a good foot taller than me and on a slope then for your face to be anywhere close to the muzzle of my rifle your man bits would be rubbing dangerously in the small of my back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As we havent been formally introduced id consider that a far more dangerous situation.
    Regards,Stu.:)

15. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Up ,down not swinging arround.

It make's no odds what the individual club rule's are,people still just wave them arround:eek:o:eek:o
    To date i have not seen anyone told to shoot to rule,people just do has they please and no one say's bugger all.
    If you speak up you get pushed to the outside of the circle and called a trouble maker.
    I visited a club recently and the first thing i was told about was ,club safety.
    Then people in the standing position loaded their rifle's and proceeded to climb onto their belly to take a shot,not my idea of safe:rolleyes:
    The way i see it we need to agree on one or the other and inforce it,ask 1 or 2 people to leave the coarse for unsafe conduct and everyone will do as they are told.Simple

16. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Towards the enemy

If it's not in the shoulder and covering the area you are scanning I would go for across the front of the body eg chest area towards the left...... Safety is all about discipline and knowing the rifle and treating it with respect.

17. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Dear Stu, don't get hung up on up or down, either is preferable to the widespread practice of carrying horizontaly; meaning parallel to the ground.

Like this :shot:

That is my point, why do people think that is an acceptable way to carry an air rifle ? ? ! :confused:

18. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    I will endeavour to pay particular attention to the people to whom I point my camera, at Greyhound, next Sunday. It appears that I have, inadvertently, provoked something of a storm. :eek: :rolleyes:
    If I see anyone 'carrying' unsafely, I'll rapidly find someone else to take a photo of. :D

Seriously, even though 'Elf 'n Safety gets up my nose at times, if ever you see me behaving in any manner unsafely with a gun, or on a range, please point out the issue to me straight away.
    I would rather be corrected, on the spot, and publicly if necessary, that to be chattered about, when I'm not present.

19. IOM

IOM Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Cos Im a short arse and barrel digs into ground :D

20. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    At least that way, it's safe :rolleyes: :D