Carbon fibre tube.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Upshot, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Upshot

Upshot New Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT, Heckington HFT
    Has anyone tried fixing a carbon fibre tube to their barrel to stiffen it up? If so, did it work and what adhesive did you use?

Nev.

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi

Not tried it but have worked with adhesives in past. Loctite Anearobics say Loctitie 638 etc would do the job, as would epoxies and two part acrylics. Not sure whether the principle would work though as the thickness of CF needed to stiffen say a 15mm dia barrel considerably would be quite a lot. The flex in whatever adhesive you used would diminish the outcome I feel, so a metal loaded epoxy may be the answer - but would be a b**ger to get off if you change your mind!

Not sure of the science but wonder how a laminate barrel (which is the direction your are going) would fair with Harmonics etc.

Be interested in what you do and whether it works though!

3. poth

poth Whafta old Gits world champion

Club:
    Quarry hunters hft
    I got some carbon tube I once had it on my mpr very tight fit but a bit of oil on the barrel it fitted a lot easier could be persuaded to part with it for the right incentive , let my know and I will send u some picks

4. rich

rich Active Member

Maybe the carbon fibre tube ought not actually to sleeve the barrel, but more act as a shroud, spaced off by a millimetre or two. If that was secured fore and aft you would end up with a double skin tube and if I recall my college work from the 1960s that would make for a lot of rigidity.

5. Mally106

Mally106 Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    cf

I might be talking B******s here but does CF expand when very cold
    If it does you could get a really tight fit tube put both in the freezer and put together and warm up????

6. Upshot

Upshot New Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT, Heckington HFT
    Some interesting ideas there fellers, thanks for the input.