Carbon fibre advice

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by dia6olo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

Just ordered a 14 by 16mm sleeve, it is going on a 12.65mm barrel and although I could have got a 13mm sleeve it was only available in half mm thickness and I wanted 1mm thick tubing hence the 14 by 16.

My question is, what's the best way to bond it to the barrel taking into account it's a 14mm opening going onto a 12.65 barrel?

Because of the different materials, steel, carbon fibre and maybe the benefits of using a compound with dampening effects, is there a compound that's best suited for the job?

Any help/advice will be much appreciated

Regards
    Bruno

2. JamDoughnut

JamDoughnut Member

Club:
    Kibby
    When UK Neil did ours he made some ally sleeves for each end, with a grub screw in one.
    I personally wouldn't bond it to the barrel, you might want to remove it for maintenance.
    Good luck whichever method you choose.

3. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    float it on o rings Bruno if it's just for cosmetics

4. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

If you remember Dave I posted a picture of a 5 shot group I did with the platinum when I first got it, they where the first shots through the rifle after it had been set-up and straight from the tin (AA 4.52) one hole.

The group opened up after a little while, I switched to exact express and again got one hole groups.

After switching batch because I wasn't able to get any more in the batch I had the rifle is not grouping like it used too in fact at times it's doing something like 10/15mm if not more edge to edge at 25 yards!

I suspected the barrel sleeve so removed it, it appears it can be tweaked a little and I read pulling it half a millimetre away from the action can cure the grouping problem but having had a good look at it I'm thinking it might be a better option to go with a fresh sleeve totally floating barrel.

Incidentally I tested it without the sleeve totally floating and it was punching one hole again :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

Tht's a good idea, I nether thought of that :eek:

One of my concerns is the very flimsy barrel, 12.65mm at its thicker points which is about 2 inches at the muzzle and 2 inches at the receiver end, the rest of the barrel is probably down to 12mm (haven't measured it).

Don't get me wrong it shoots superbly at that without the sleeve and I suspect if I played with the original platinum sleeve I could get it to shoot equally well with the platinum sleeve back on.

My thinking behind removing the sleeve, replacing it with carbon fibre and bonding the total sleeve is adding strength to the barrel without adding too much weight and having a floating barrel. I could replace the barrel with something more substantial say 14 to 16mm but I'd be concerned about the receiver coping with the heavier barrel not to mention the cost :confused:

6. Jon

Jon Member

1/2" plenty good enough, in fact best grouping ever seen repeated times was with a 12.2mm that twanged like a tuning fork.

7. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

Cheers Jon that's put my mind at ease and will now look at playing with the original sleeve or if I go with the carbon sleeve either using o-rings as Dave Ramshead suggested or fitting 2 collars at both ends of the sleeve so it's not a permanent fix :)