Can a Walther 10m barrel work at 50m?

Discussion in 'Walther' started by RobF, Oct 31, 2019.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Been through the mill a bit with no.1 rig... chasing everything up the chain from reg to valve to hammer and even at the muzzle everything was as good as could be. But it was still not grouping well and throwing fliers. Stuck in a bind we threw a 10m barrel on to see if the original dommy barrel was the issue.

Seems to work, this was 7-8 shots off the knee at 50m...

AEB060FB-15BA-47AE-A269-BBF20DCF63E7.jpeg

It's going to get a hard workout because I want to be sure we've found the issue, but initial signs are looking good.

Just thought it might be of interest for those pondering shorter barrels. I know some of the 400 boys are keen on shorter barrels.

villiers, suds, berty177 and 2 others like this.
  2. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Any thoughts on why the original barrel started to have problems?

3. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    I have a 10m barrel on my domi and it's mega accurate and not pellet fussy either and rarely needs cleaning I no when it's going off it starts throwing pellets high and left clean it with a few disco felts and it's bang on straight away with no settling down period even though I now shoot a anni 9015 I wouldn't get rid of my domi for nothing I'd sell my kids first lol

4. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
  5. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    I’ve got a lg300 that’s currently being converted so hopefully it’s going to be spot on with the 10m barrel.

6. RobF

Club:
    Well... maybe.

I remarked the other week that a clean seemed to make it better when it was going through one of it's hissy fits. The other week I cleaned it till it squeaked. Yesterday when we looked at it with the borescope the grooves were dirty/dusty with lead. So it's getting really dirty quick. But we also rodded a pellet (which is useful for 'feeling' the inside) and the bore goes very slack past the initial lead in. I didn't compare it to the 10m, but the other dommy barrel we had to hand is less slack... and new LW barrels are very consistent down their length until you reach the choke. So we're wondering if it's just worn out, either by 10-15 years of shooting, or 10-15 years of shooting and cleaning. Looking down it's length with the borescope (we've got a long one now) there's no obvious damage.

When I say slack, if you don't engage the choke and just gently tap the pellet back the opposite way back down the barrel and hold it up, it will fall clean out.

We're wondering if it's just bouncing down the barrel almost and knocking bits off as it goes, the next pellet perhaps picking the bits up... a few shots clearing out the junk and it's ok for a bit, then loop cycle repeat.

It's been cleaned up now and the muck came out easily. Checked it with the scope and it's shiny looking.

The hope was to test all 3 Saturday using the 10m as a benchmark... but looks like the weather has put paid to that as I don't have 50m indoors. At 25m it's 'ok'... not super tight but clover leaf with the odd one outside. But it's exponentially worse at 50m and certainly sporadic enough to miss a 40mm when it's going off.

The problem is it comes and goes, so you think it's getting better and settling then 10 shots later it's spat the dummy. Now I've got a consistent barrel to test against I can see if it's dirt or just worn. I'm kind of guessing I'll know in about 50 shots.

At least I've got something I can shoot with now. Will see if the other is any good. If not Phil can machine up barrels for the LG's and we've got a couple of good blanks to play with.

7. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Thanks for your thoughts Rob. I was having similar problems with an EV2 of similar age that has been greatly used and cleaned. I've finally found that I need to clean the barrel more thoroughly and more often than I had done previously.

8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Could it be corrosion of the bore near the breech caused by moisture condensing on firing, or being introduced to the breech in wet weather?

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

there's no corrosion Adam

the grooves looked really full of lead . A couple of swipes with an old felt on a rod it 's back to shiny bright .
    there was just a lot of debris sitting inside .

as rob said ,the centre section of bore is really much looser than the ends .
    not sure that loose is necesarily a problem but tight, to loose ,to tight cant be good

10. sven

sven Active Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
  11. RobF

Club:
    No need Sven, it just came out with a dry felt on a wad... it wasn't stuck on, just seemed to be sitting in the groove.

Saturday looks like a write off weather wise... i might try sunday now.

12. simona

simona Active Member

The thing is that you might expect both cleaning and shooting would wear the choke more than the remainder of the barrel as friction and erosion would be greatest there.

13. RobF

Club:
    True, but then if you figure that you start from the breech a lot of the rubbing gunk will have worked off at that end before you got there.

14. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Sorry; somewhat OT but I'd be interested to hear details of the borescope you're using - have you managed to find the holy grail (an affordable digital one that fits down a .177 barrel) or is it "normal" non-electronic rigid one?

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Sorry, I mean could roughness or pitting due to corrosion have scraped off more lead than normal in that section? But if there's no corrosion I guess not.

16. RobF

Club:
    Depends on what you mean affordable. ;) I haven't found anything cheap or digital that fits down a 4.5mm bore.

The ones we're using are Karl Storz 300mm which pushes the price up but it does mean we can examine 600mm barrels, 4mm 70 degree, but looking at ebay the prices have just gone silly. I'd just say keep an eye on it and see if you can find one.

They are really useful though. They at least allow you to see stuff you can't see and give you more information. We not only use them on barrels but they go into actions and other inaccessible places. We wouldn't have been able to see the wear on the valve stem channel on my Walther without it.

cloverleaf likes this.
  17. RobF

Club:
    No there was nothing of that ilk. Visually after pushing a felt down it looked normal. I was hoping to see some horror down there.

Adam likes this.
  18. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Thanks - will take a look but it sounds like they're still out of reach for the time being!

19. RobF

Club:
    Yep, we were lucky and it coincided with one of those ebay % deals.

I don't know if other brands which are cheaper are any good. The KS seems to have a min focus depth which is quite close to the tip which makes the picture clearer. The first one we had wasn't as clear up close. Not sure why, it's shorter... I've got a chap who sends me details of his med gear he has when he sells it, so if I see one come up I'll try and remember to let you know.

I did see a 2.7mm one for ages... which I think might be enough to get into a few valve channels... but they've gone into 4 figures now. Dunno why, could be the trade tariffs, a lot comes from the US 2nd hand and I guess they have to get it in there in the first place.

20. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Thanks - have had a look and they seem to be £400+ for the used items up to £1300 for the new180mm, 0-degree, 4mm offering on there.. which definitely rules me out!

Would appreciate a heads-up if you do see anything / remember but don't bust a gut; even with a bit of a discount it'd probably more than I can stretch to currently.

I do have a cheap digital .22-friendly USB borescope coming my way shortly; should work for at least some stuff (will be useful for the centrefire) and the manufacturer seems very keen to push their business so hopefully might take on board my suggestion of making a 4mm model :)