Can a course be interesting ..........

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

............ without placing neck breaking targets ?

It seems that more and more comps / course setters are using lofted targets to catch us out but do they catch us out or is it merely the fact that they are awkward to shoot ?

I personally love neck breaking targets but its more or less a certainty that I will plate them as I am not an OWL with a custom spin top head ! :D At the very least though it will leave me in agony for the rest of the shoot .

Its a sad fact that I can shoot a course as well as most ( very , very occasionally that is ) only to drop points on a dreaded ' neck breaking reducer fest . '

This is not a rant or a moan as I am glad I can actually still get out and shoot but surely these targets are a cop - out when setting out a clever well thought out course ? I heard Quarry's course was excellent without the need for a subsequent weeks of rest following hip replcement surgery . :D:D:D

what say you luvvies ???

Dave

Frikken 'el my neck 'erts . lol

2. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    no one makes you go prone on them ;)

3. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    But Dave's sheet at standing Ste :D

4. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

And kneeling....and prone....and......:D:D:D

5. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

I'm 5' 7" so I might as well shoot 'em prone for all the difference standing or kneeling makes.:D

6. martin c

martin c New Member

vertically challenged

and don't forget high target's put us short fella's at a disadvantage as we have further to shoot:D:D:D

30yds to you 30and1/2 to me:eek:

7. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

Right on, Brother! <Raises fist in solidarity, Citizen Smith style> Death to the lanky bourgeois course setters.:D

8. skipper

skipper New Member

I personally think Quarry set an example that you can have a hard interesting course without having say black targets with black KZ in dark woods, which some people without the top gear and glass cannot see and puts the shooter at disadvantage because of equipment.

Ollie

9. Kingplinker

Ahhhhhhhh normality amongst all this bu ll sh it :D:D:D

10. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

My personal thoughts are that its nice to have the occasional high target and it does not have to be a long'un.

As someone who is currently laying out a FT Winter League course I tend to do a lot of thinkng and walking around the area we shoot to decide where the firing points are going to be and then the possible locations of targets. For me a short high target that may look easy but with the firing point that is uncomfortable but safe makes the shooter think a little bit, the tpe that whist can be shot prone in HFT but is easier shot kneeling but its not a defined positional lane.

For example we have had a standing lane with a 20yd and 25yd 40mm KZ to see more miss the shorter one than the longer because the feet were slightly different in hieght. Or a high kneeler where you feel you are wanting to fall down the slope.

Visual trickery is the best such as placing a target behind a 'hole' in the bushes makes the eye think its further than it is, placing it in a location that funnels the wind but can not be seen or felt at the firing point or placing two targets behind each other at slightly different hieghts that are the same shape and KZ size which can cause those lapses and the wrong target is shot.

11. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

I remember a close range pole shot at the second (i think) SiHFT shoot at Mileoak. Very vicious but delightful (if you're a sicko) as the pole felt like it was about 8-9 yards in front of you but the target was about 20 foot high. Once you managed to find the target in your scope; you either had a slipped disc in your neck or a banana shaped back.:D

Still amazed I managed to shoot it.:cool:

12. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

My own club has very little chance of putting out high targets. We have a fairly boring bowl (really old shallow pit type quarry) in the middle of a field. There are no trees whatsoever just a few clumps of hawthorn. The best we can manage is the choice of shooting into the bowl or out of the bowl. We still manage to put out reasonably challenging and reasonably interesting courses. That's certainly not entirely down to having high targets. It's all about making use of what you do have. What we have is some very interesting wind effects.;):D
    I know a few folks that have visited, been fairly unimpressed after a quick look then changed their mind completely after actually shooting there!;):D

13. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Malden And District and Quarry have been two very good examples this year of where a good interesting and difficult course can be set without gimmicks and super high or for that matter low shots.
    Both of these venues have been my favourites and will stay with me in memory as great courses that I enjoyed but as they say variety is the spice of life and it is kinda nice to come across something different now and then and I don't mind anything so long as I'm shooting it.
    I think what does make a difference which is obvious to see when shooting these courses is the time, effort and thought that goes into making an average course into a good and interesting one.

Dave

14. rogb

rogb Señor Member

I'm with you on this Dave, all the way:D

15. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

variety is good, but we have to work with the opportunites available at the venue.

To answer the OP, yes they can certainly be interesting, as well as challenging,/rewarding/frustrating et al.

I am gratefull that the course setters take time to produce various differing challenges, that combined with the prevailling conditions cause us soem problems.

ATB

Phil

16. Kingplinker

Thats the point Phil , not everyone has a superb setting to put out a course but one of the toughest courses us southerners shot was in an open field where everyone thought they could clear it when walking the line ............. we were all wrong that day ! :eek:

The point I am making is that its sometimes very difficult shooting targets that a more able bodied ( gymnast ) could shoot more easily. lol

atvb

Dave

17. Feral

Feral New Member

I certainly put the well being of my slipped disc before the need for that extra point nowadays ;)

18. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Girl! Turn on your side to shoot it, nobody says you have to have your legs inline with the target. Come to one side and its much comfier when the targets are high or awkward.

Ryan

19. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

I am with you on that one mate :eek:(busted me back) - hey, just knock em down from the kneeling position :cool: that will show em :D

20. Kingplinker

Yeah mate . lol

I think I will have too !

- Ryan ( cliff is a girl ) but I tried taking the same shot sideways after a shoot and could not get comfortable for love nor money .

atvb

Dave