Cambridge HFT results 12/10/14

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by Mrs H, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Mrs H

Mrs H Narnia Guide

Club:
    Cambridge HFT, Cambridge 177, Shelford Rifle Club
    Cambridge HFT October 12th

Brrrr! A brisk cool misty murky morning awaited us today, though thankfully the temperature did manage to climb into double figures by the end of the shoot.
    Thanks to all those who turned out today, and we promise no more black face plates…

Open
    Simon Vant 57
    Roger Lait 56
    Nick Yates 56
    Barry Smith 55
    Ray Hampton 55
    Jill Cochrane 54
    Dan Measures 54
    Jeff Westley 53
    Bill Chaplin 53
    Vince Holland 53
    Ian Clarke 52
    Matt Rawlings 52
    Chris Boulton 52
    Jonathan Hobbs 52
    Richard Blackshire 51
    Anne Higgins 51
    Jon Houghton 50
    Roger Brigham 50
    Steve Martin 50
    Martin Slane 50
    Nigel Fleet 50
    Kieran Spicer 50
    Mike Carney 49
    Finn Cochrane 49
    James Free 49
    Mick Salmon 49
    Mark McCarthy 49
    Jack Houghton 48
    Dave Allam 48
    Andy Ireland 48
    Clive Presland 48
    Ralph Presland 46
    Mike Isaac 46
    Dean Auger 46
    Chris wells 44
    Graham Mason 43
    Brendan Tancred 43
    Phil Russell 43
    Ralph Currie 42
    Ken Philips 42
    Dave George 41
    Gordon Smith 41
    Mick Reed 41
    Mark Minchin 40
    Ian Spicer 40
    Steve Youngs 37
    Steve Hermitage 35

Recoiling
    Kyle Hampton 55
    Neil Wakelin 51
    Andy Day 47
    Andy Yates 45
    Rex Bennet 41
    Alan Measures 37

Des Morris 47
    Kev Turner 43
    Luke Hermitage 33

Ladies
    Jo Cogger 51
    Becky Rawlings 50
    Mel Wakelin 47

Junior
    Olly Fleet 50

2. Dr_C

Dr_C Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    Congratulations to Des for winning .22 , and Johnathon for finally breaking 50.

Can Des keep it up next weekend and will Steve give up trying to shoot .177?

I personally had no problems with yellow kills, for the first 3-4 pellets or so...

Another good course, although I think we're getting the hang of range finding across an open field :)

C.

3. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    well Chris dont forget you hit a PB today.

And just for the record Steve shooting .22 could kick my butt any day of the week.

I dont bet but I would put a bet on Steve 4 the world champ in .22

Des

4. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    hmmm

Gotta admit the black face plates were very different in each wood, tea hut wood no probs apart from the steep elevated 13 ydr?, the first wood different matter , pulling strings on nearly every shot even on 40yd plus shots,how can you range find by eye when you cant see the plate let alone the kill zone size??, would have been really interesting through dark tunnels like we regulary get, tbh , i thought hft was about not letting expensive scopes and kit rule , we all try to get the best kit we can but for a new comer coming into that scenario I think would have probably put them off, lets keep the white or yellow plates ,
    If we are up for a more difficult course, how about 20 mm 35ydrs??, as from the experience I have gained from course stting from one of the best (Doppa) , its always a challenge doing something interesting for the 20mm, sometimes ending up in controversy , sillhouted against bright backgrounds , steep elevated, dark shots , you know weve all been there ,
    Anyhoo, Ive only been doing this for 10 months , doing the local ccts and worlds, nationals etc , you know what , ive only witnessed 2 or 3 clears at best , do we wanna make it harder or do we need another format ??,
    Food for thought all !
    didnt do it for me , still we we all in tha same boat and some good scores , a change can be good, the best change would be getting rid of the rotting corpse in the bin , bloody hell that was grim on peg 30,
    These comments are in no way a critisism of the hard work of anycub or body governing our sport ,

5. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    thats it Vinny, get it off your chest.:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    your right though , black targets are fine for ft where you focus in for every range but no good for hft .

6. WTFIB

WTFIB DUMMY TIME

I believe that you have missed Roger Bentley with 56 who finished 4th. That's right 4th after losing another shot off. :D

7. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I don't think you have seen who is shooting .22 for the Worlds. It's very stiff competition out there and to be honest Simon Harrison and Mat are way better than most !

LAity

8. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi Vinny

Nothing to with making it harder.
    As you are pretty new to the sport as you say, we asked a few clubs to trial this as from 2002 up until 2010 or 11 we only ever used black faceplates and white or yellow kills. With people saying they can't see the kills on yellow targets we thought it was worth a try to see the differance and after all clubs coming to the same conclusion perhaps people won't moan so much about the black kills now.
    Don't forget we will try anything within reason if it suggested

Pete

9. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

NOT MORRIS DANCING !!!! I draw the line at that !!!

LAity :mad:

10. rogb

rogb Señor Member

At Cambridge...
    The black targets out in the open field were fine - on a bright day they are less blinding down the scope than white or yellow.
    When silhouetted against the sky, your eye "shuts down" against the glare making it very difficult to see edge of kill on a black target where the kill has been shot up.
    In a dark area at range it was very difficult to make out 25mm kills (or even 35mm for that matter...)
    On a dark target low down tucked in by a tree it was impossible to see edge of kill at around 15 yards!

OK here's an idea if you are up for trialing different things.

How about black epoxy powder coating a face plate, say a 15mm rat. If done and prepared properly it is extremely tough. The target is sprayed white or yellow - paddle sprayed black as usual. In theory as the paint around the hole wears away the black will show up against a now silvery paddle but the light coloured faceplate will be easier to range find by eye and also avoid the "WTF is that target" time wasting (which we also had yesterday) last seen at Bisley years ago.
    Or maybe just powder coat the paddle black?

May work in practice who knows?

What happened yesterday was revisiting a past that we had already experienced. No new questions were asked or answered.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  11. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Aha, I see the wisdom of it ! ;)

12. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    What you got against morris then Laity? Nice lad! strange,but nice in a weird way.
    HERX77 .