Calling all MFTA Shooters

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Shaun, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Proposed changes to the MFTA Winter League.

19th July 2009.

Change 1

It has been suggested that the method of scoring for the MFTA Winter League should be changed.

The present system – The top scorer on the day is awarded 100 points, next place 99 points etc.
    If shooters tie then they receive the same points; for example if two shooters tie for second place they both receive 99 points, the next shooter is 4th and receives 97 points.
    The change – The points awarded to each shooter will be their percentage of the top score on the day.

Change 2

To change the number of scoring rounds.

The present system – 6 scoring rounds.
    The change – 8 scoring rounds.

Please note that it has already been agreed by the MFTA committee that the scoring system of the Silhouette Competition in 2009-10 would be aligned with the scoring system of the FT competition.

The MFTA committee would like to canvas opinion from as many MFTA shooters as possible.
    You may respond by e-mail (subject MFTA) to the MFTA secretary mftasec@btinternet.com stating:
    Your name, club, BFTA number.
    Change 1 = reply keep or change
    Change 2 = reply keep or change

If you cannot access e-mail then a friend may do it for you as long as the above information is submitted.

Please note that your vote must be accompanied by the three pieces of information requested (name, club and BFTA number).

For these changes to be considered an extraordinary meeting of the MFTA committee will be needed before the Winter League commences. So please express your opinion before 1st September 2009.

Many thanks

Shaun Shore (MFTA Secretary)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Just a thought but won't Change 2 impact on those that want to shoot both FT and the new Midland HFT series, or have you actually spoken to each other and arranged the dates accordingly:D:cool:

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Chill Winston! It's all in hand.;):cool:

Ryan

4. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Well hurry up and announce the bloody dates so I can organise my winter shooting then:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

5. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    About time this issue came to a vote. I'm sick of hearing some MFTA members (not mentioning no names) whinging about the current scoring system:D
    Joking aside, I think this system is a simpler and fairer system and has worked well for NEFTA over the years;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  6. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I see that this post has had 90 views on this forum while the same post on the BBS has 26 & on the AGF 55.
    A fair old number have read & presumably cast a vote but no opinion or argument is forthcoming to help a bloke formulate their own view.
    On the face of it the change to a percentage based system seems a fair one but if it's so reasonable why weren't we using it already, what's the argument against?
    Why 6 scoring comps instead of 8, what are the pros & cons?:confused:

7. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    The more rounds that are counted towards the total score will mean that the more consistent shooter will rise to the top. But it does work against anyone who can only attend a few shoots.

In NEFTA we hold 11 rounds in the winter league and have 9 of them to count towards your total score and qualifying for the regional team.

I really like the % based score as it seems really unfair for someone to put in a clear round and then the next best shooter come in on a 27 and only finish 1 point behind. That does not reflect the achievement of the best shooter on the day. much better to have them score 100% and 90% respectively.

Just my thoughts :)

Dave.

8. richos36

richos36 Member

i agree with the above i think its fair to all shooters the % way

OFF TOPIC but any plans to change the lane 1 start to shotgun start ?????

shaun

9. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I think the current system keeps a lot of NEFTA shooters away as we prefer the Shotgun start & don't like waiting about.

I can't see them changing it though:D

10. KarlC

KarlC Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill Ftc
    Shotgun starts

Hi, I think it was agreed at the end of the Midlands winter league last season to change to a shotgun start if shooters want to .hopefully someone from the MFTA committee will clarify this answer..Karl

11. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

No shotgun start - no plans now and no plans for the future. It was discussed at length and the numbers we have attending a winter league would make shotgun starts prohibitive e.g. there would be almost everyone in the first session, and no one in the second session. We have to think of the clubs running these events, and as sessions could potentially go on past 2 o'clock in the winter, we have to think about the health and safety of all involved, especially in the darker winter months. Its okay saying 'we won't attend because of xy and z', but with other shoots running, even though we have the dates out in plenty of time, I can guarantee those moaning won't be coming anyway.

It might not suit everyone, but I am afraid this has been discussed at length for the past few years. If you don't like cueing, get up earlier or turn up later - the rule has always been in place that if the lane you are waiting for is in use, you can move on to the next free target, but no one ever seems to do this.

Lee

12. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

That's strange Lee, none of your above concerns have ever been a problem at the NEFTA winter leagues.

As to those moaning not coming anyway? not always the case I'm afraid. While I'm not moaning about your system I didn't attend last year as I'm not prepared to queue for upto an hour to start a course or stand about at my car waiting for the pack to thin, personally I'd have done most of your W/L shoots if a shotgun start had been used.

As always it's upto the Midland shooters to use whichever system they prefer, it just seems strange that the majority of MFTA shooters I have spoken to would prefer a Shotgun Start but then again maybe it's like in NEFTA where club reps make decisions with no consultation with their membership;)

13. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

Each proposal is sent out to each club representative in the minutes of each of the meetings. It is up to that club official to feedback opinions and suggestions at the meeting. At the past meetings where it was discussed, the clubs that were present (8 of the 10 clubs present) voted in favour of keeping the winter leagues as an informal affair with no shotgun starts and the feed on system. It was felt that this kept the spirit of the MFTA winter league alive. If people are queuing for an hour, then surely it would be a lot simpler for them to move around the queue and find the next free target, as has been suggested for the past 4 years.

I am not going to start a NEFTA vs. MFTA comparison - NEFTA is a different region with a lot more shooters than we have in the MFTA, and shot gun starts are a more viable option. We have had the whole 'if we did this then more of x region would turn up' which generally comes down to one or two shooters in the end. The MFTA strives to do things in the interest of each club and each shooter with in its region. If there are issues that need raising, then members should be talking to their club representative in a formal manner, not bitching like little girls in a playground.

Lee

14. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    People should be told then. When I shot the Winter League round at Castle last year, we tried to do exactly this (find a 'free' part of the course to begin shooting), and was told in no uncertain terms to go and queue at the start like everyone else.

Isn't finding a free lane essentially the same as a shotgun start?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  15. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

If people read the rules then they should know this is the case - I can't control the lack of knowledge - it all depends on who told you to go and queue at the start.

Lee

16. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Well-Known Member

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    Viva la rebbelioni:d:d

17. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

I would also prefer a Shogun start, as is the practice in NEFTA (I shoot NEFTA and it is so much better and you can divide your time eating and chatting etc. without losing your place)

I am allocated a lane and can meet new people at every shoot rather than going round with a pal or canvassing for a free shooter

Whoever is representing us as shooters in the MFTA Winter League has never approached me or asked my formal opinion on standing for over an hour in the freezing cold (Purley) or shotgun starts. !!!!

Lee has stated that jumping in on a free lane is acceptable so please can you include this information on the score card as I have experienced the “look†and the moan at Dowry last year along with others.

Grubber

18. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

Oh yes I nearly forgot... at a NEFTA shoot I am also exposed tio Trev's (A pound is a Pound) raffle :D :D

Mind you I have had a modicum of success in the past :cool:

Grubber

19. richos36

richos36 Member

bloody hell what have i started :eek:

shaun

20. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Sorry Lee I wasn't trying to start any sort of NEFTA Vs MFTA thing :( Having used a shotgun start for many years I was just using the NEFTA example to address the concerns you had stated.