Bye Bye Pulsar

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Pecky, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Pecky

Pecky PECKY

Club:
    Kinver ARC, Furnace Mill
    So after only 5 months and lots of hassles with the new Daystate wonder gun i lost faith in it and have sold it.
    2 visits back to the factory for repair to indexing pins on both occasions and a major air leak and a further visit to the Black Countrys most reputable gun smith who sorted out the gun in under 10 minutes which is something the factory struggled with !!.

This gun has been underdeveloped and launched to soon and at £2000 is not value for money.

However i have sourced what i consider to be the finest gun ever built by Daystate the MK4 LE Platinum of which only 100 where built, mines number 29 / 100.

There like rocking horse pooh to find let alone getting someone to sell you one but a big thank you to Spoelei who sold me a minter in a lovely Autumnal coloured laminate Gary Can stock. Fitted a new Hawke sidewinder 6 x 24 x 50 on it and early indications are very good.

So does PULSAR stand for

Properly Underdeveloped Low Standard Air Rifle ?
    All i can say is i wouldn't recommend buying a new one but to wait till the teething problems are sorted.

2. cwprice

cwprice Member

Pulsar

The finest daystate gun ever built was the CRX, you can find rocking horse poo before you will find one of these. I have the second best, the daystate GP.

3. poth

poth Whafta old Gits world champion

Club:
    Quarry hunters hft
    Don't think there is a tidy British made gun

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Hold on a minute, the greatest Daystate ever produced, the Platinum? I remember when they first came out and several left the Tawd round of UKAHFT in Tony's boot as they had broken down first time out!

It doesn't make it a bad gun though, now they are sorted it could and hopefully will live up to your expectation. I have heard people say the Platinum was the most accurate rifle they ever fired.

Sadly new models being under developed seems rife across manufacturers as more development time costs more money. The FTP suffered a few issues and the R10 more than a few! But sometimes they are released early due to public pressure asking is it ready yet?! Air Arms should be commended for the approach they took with the HFT500, no one knew of its existence until the shops had them on the rack! Launched one day and you could get one the next, giving them all the time they needed without any date targets or pressure to get them out the door. Admittedly it is mostly a parts bin special so should have been an easy build but the approach used should be adopted by more manufacturers.

5. Emma

Emma Member

Club:
    Millride & Purley Chase
    Hello Pulsar

My Hubbies the proud new owner of Peckys (now fully tested) ex Pulsar and he's well chuffed

6. stryder5

stryder5 New Member

Ripley Ar5s?

7. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    And that's as it should be :D

8. Ewan

Ewan Ewan

Club:
    Iden Ferns
    Same Ol Same Ol

Sorry to hear about the misfortune with the Pulsar mate but you do hear it time & time again.

Guy buys a new rifle, it's the bee's knees all singing all dancing tac driver...........then it goes wrong, all of a sudden it's a pile of rocking horse pooh.

It does NOT matter what air weapon you buy they will always fail sooner or later, they just have to, moving parts mean wear / tear which need replacing, it will never change pattern.

There is No ultimate rifle just different grades of functionality & better produced parts.

I have never heard of the Daystate the MK4 LE Platinum but having just checked Google I must admit it looks pretty neat, the GP is a really nice example & so is the CRX but they all at the better quality end of the scale.

The one thing new air gunners should take note of is this situation, don't EVER buy into sales or buyers hype, always do your homework first, try a few & make an informed decision.

No Tidy British made gun hmmmmmmm :confused: really !!!

There are a few 'classic' guns that some want in their collection be it because of the looks, breed, accuracy etc etc but like I said every gun will fail in the end.

Hope this one works out for you though as it's a nice piece.

ATB
    Ewan

9. onedrifter

onedrifter onedrifter

Club:
    iden ferns
    Platinum

I have owned platinum nos 30 in a red Gary cane stock since September, the best gun I have ever owned, put about 2,500 pellets through it never cleaned the barrel, still the Same zero that I set up in September. My scop is Falcon menace 5.5-25 x 50 ffp

10. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Happy new year!

Think that was mine! Knew I shouldnt have sold it, as my gallery says still the only gun I really regretted selling! :eek:o It was just too pretty to use!
    Glad it worked out for you?
    Kr

11. Pecky

Pecky PECKY

Club:
    Kinver ARC, Furnace Mill
    Pulsar

Lets clarify a few points.
    When the Pulsar was working as it should it was one of the finest air rifles i have ever shot.
    Silky smooth, whisper quiet with the Huggett suppressor on it and very accurate.
    My gripe is that i paid £2000 just for the gun without any accessories and do not expect or accept that a gun costing this much money should fail me from day 1.
    Then the indexing pin let go TWICE and as I've heard with most Pulsars it developed a leak from the main cylinder so it went back to Daystate TWICE.
    I was then informed that the indexing pin was a weak point on the rifle and had been upgraded to a newer stronger indexing pin.
    This newer pin jammed first time out and i got a reputable Black Country gun smith to look at and repair the fault.
    When i sold the gun it was working better than ever and it was a tough decision to let it go..
    Sometimes you have to chose functionality over form and something that might look crap can perform better than imagined and something thats the new super duper wonder gun just doesn't cut the mustard.
    I am sure after the initial teething problems the Pulsar will be a well respected and sought after rifle.
    For me I've gone rightly or wrongly back to basics with what i class to be a quality second hand gun.
    Only time will tell if I've done the wright thing but I'm happy and thats all what counts to me.

12. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Probably done the right thing for you, once you have a downer on a kit you lose your concentration and end up peed off everytime something goes wrong , even when stuff works fine there always the doubt in your mind ,
    We had a chap down our club recently with a problem with one , apparently he said it was down to a pin on
    the magazine fitted in the wrong hole (of which there were two next to each other) , dunno if this is the indexing pin your talking about but as far as I, m aware its fine now its been moved , hope this helps anyone out there puzzled with the same issue ,