Buying the right tank

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Stevenjdowd, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Having not used PCP rifles I'm unsure which tank to buy to power it, ie what's the right size, bar pressure, valves/whips, cost, servicing rules etc. Appreciate a steer (and open to buy)?

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Assuming you have a filling station that does it, and most do now... 300 bar pressure. 232's are cheaper but the bottle will empty much slower for the same volume bottle. Also get one with a surface only valve, as the tests are wider apart.

There's no problem with filling a 200 bar gun from a 300 bar bottle, but you need to take just a bit of care to ensure you don't go past 200 bar fill... there's been a handful of bottles with fast flowing valves, but most are easy to control with a bit of care, or you can get a flow restrictor fitted if you really want a slow fill. Another hitch can be getting an adapter for your rifle, but you can get 232-300 bar shims for the tank's valve to solve this.

Size wise, it depends... I've got a 12L 300 bar which I decant into a 3L bar bottle for taking to comps. The big bottles are heavy but wont need filling often. The smaller bottles are light, but do (depending on how much you shoot). A 7L is a 1/2 way house...

Most dive shops charge the same for a 3L as they do a 12L bottle to fill...

Carbon fibre is a light solution allowing a big tank to weigh less than a 3L normal one. But you need to look into the retest/lifespan of them... Littlekev on here should know more about them. They're not cheap, but it's an option perhaps.

Bestfittings is somewhere i'd recommend off the top of my head, they've always given me good service.

3. Flyincornish

Flyincornish New Member

carbon fibre bottles

There was a guy on Gunstar selling Carbon Fibre ones a while back. They were at good prices but as Rob says some testers are a bit funny over them, but they do need testing a lot less.
    kr

4. RobF

Club:
    Yes, you also need to check carefully the test/manufacture dates. I've seen a few on FB that have been somewhat less than new.

5. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Useful insight. Thanks guys. I live in East London so getting to filing stations is not so easy hence think I'll opt for the investment in a 12l. Any advice on how to best store tanks? Is 'on it's side, under the bed' good enough or are there some special precautions to consider here?

6. RobF

Club:
    Somewhere it can't fall over, get knocked or roll...

7. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Long term horizontal storage is ok though, right? I assume the business end will have protector caps to avoid being bashed any way.

They say it's not a stupid question if you don't know the answer... especially if it involves storing a massive amount of compressed energy under my wife and I's bed! (Please avoid the obvious jokes there! Lol)