buying a used dominator

Discussion in 'Walther' started by hmangphilly, Nov 18, 2013.

1. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

'morning all
    I may have a chance of buying a used dominator.
    this might save me the aggro of converting a 10m rifle to full power.
    could you give me any tips on what to look out for , apparently the gun in question is an early model.
    of course id be looking to give it a birthday from the out set so not bothered about replacing seals and a few bits within reason, but what to look for and where to source the bits would be a great start .
    ooooh.... im all excited.!

thanks in anticipation
    phil

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Main thing probably is the general overal condition. Apart from the possibility of it having a mk1 reg which the mk2s superceed there really isn't much to go wrong with them.

3. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Thanks rob .
    The better reg(mk2) is silver , long and groovy? Right?
    Where do I get those black delrin reg seals from ?

4. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I think with any used air rifle, based on experience (not always good!) I would suggest

Check it over the chrono for first shot, then after 5, 10, 15 shots. If they are all between 770 and 780 or so with 8.4s it is very likely to be fine. If there is a reg problem it will show up with a long shot string (compare 1st with 50th or even over 100 shots (I chrono every 5th).

leave it for 30mins or so and then repeat a chrono test - it shouldn't vary that much but if it is quite different after the pause it may mean something needs a service.

If you try a few of the same model you will get a good feel for what is typical. Lots have different shrouds, muzzle breaks, strippers and silencers which change the "bang" noise but you can't expect to do a pellet on pellet at 50yds without getting the feel of your very own rifle.

It is much harder to assess performance without a scope and stock that fits you so a bare rifle can only really be checked with a chrono and "feel".

I think that is true for just about any make and model?? If it hasn't been used in months it may need using or servicing to just to get it happy.

I am sure there are folk here that could do a full service and tweak for you but most of the fun is learning what ticks (and sticks, hahaha)

5. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    Right.

If it has an old reg (gold, long, not groovy) it could have been adapted/serviced by a Walter reg guru (Nick Murphy for instance) and also be very good.

6. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

ive just been looking at a picture of one that ive been offered.
    and on first impressions it looks nice. there are better pics to follow so illn get a better idea then .
    I don't like the standard shrouding along the barrel its kind slab sided at the breech end and super fat at the far end. can that be got rid of

7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

that's very sensible neil. i'm gonna struggle with this approach though as the gun in mind is waay oop north so not really going to be practical to try it for feel. and unless I m able to blag a go with other guns locally im not really going to have anything to compare .
    this of course would be the advantage of a club membership...which I don't have. not that I don't want to ,but I cant commit any regular time.

8. sven

sven Member

Club:
    Yes, you can get rid of the square sided and round shrouds. In fact you do not see many Dominators in competitions with them still on. The square shroud is pinned to the block and front support with two pins on each side. The round one is semi free floating with an o-ring in the front barrel support. The saying is the shrouds cause impact shifts because they are connected to the stock and the barrel is not completely free floating.

Only thing being is you would want to replace them with a new shroud. There is only a skinny 14mm barrel inside the shroud. Some 20mm outside dia aluminum tube would do for a new shroud.

And the shrouds are glued on and need to be heated to remove them. At least the round shroud is, do not know about the square one.
    You probably would need someone to do this shroud removal for you.

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

thanks for all this help sven
    why do I have to replace the shroud with another? is the barrel bare metal or is it something structural ?
    what ever the issue if I go for the dominator over the lg300xt ,i'll have to do something . I just think all that standard gubbins kills the look of the gun.

mate could you double check the diameter of the bare barrel for me as ive spotted some carbon tube on ebay 16mm x14mm about £20 for a metre i'm thinking this might do with some hot glue . if I cant have a standard finish (whatever that is ) or a blued barrel.

i'm torn now between the dominator which has all the right internals for 16j and the much prettier lg300xt which will need a power mod.

ohhh what to do.....

thanks phil

10. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Standard barrel is 15mm O/D on a Walther LG300.

11. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Thanks chum . Are you the man for these shrouds ? Give us a price and availability please

12. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Hey villiers, although I live in dorset. I often find myself around Heathrow with time on my hands . Is there any where close that I can go and shoot or chit chat to shooting folks ?.i saw you were that kinda area , thanks

13. sven

sven Member

Club:
    See the picture for the looks of a Walther barrel without shroud.
    From the top
    - home made carbon shroud
    - barrel without shroud
    - barrel without square shroud but with the original round shroud

Not my pictures but from some Polish website.

Barrel dia could very well be 15mm as Villiers writes. I shoot mine with original shrouds from steel (LG200), carbon (LG300) and aluminum (Dominator) still on so have never measuerd the barrel dia. The 14mm I mentioned was what I had read somewhere. I have had the barrels removed but the part that fits the breech has a smaller dia. Could measure the inside of the shrouds for you tonight.

Attached Files:

14. sven

sven Member

Club:
    If the carbon shroud is the only difference between the Dommie and the XT then I'd go for the Dominator and replace the shroud on it with some carbon tube.
    Much less work, no extra parts needed and most probably a higher resale value for the dommie if you ever want to sell it again.

Not that you would ever would want to do that, with Walthers being the best and prettiest rifles around :) :)

15. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi Bisley is the close to me and Heathrow so we could meet up yes I could find or make some carbon tube as am almost at the end of my race season am away from Sunday for a week with work . Hope to be shooting winter leauge round this weekend in Southhampton and I could have some tube with me .
    Cheers Don

16. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I have a Dommie with "barrel without square shroud but with the original round shroud". We removed the barrel and then the square block thing. Have to be careful not to nick the o-rings when re-inserting the barrel so get spares.

I have a halter that has been cut down so that I can support the cylinder but leave the barrel free of any front support. Light wipe with an oily rag after rain but it is stainless so doesn't rust.

Much better balance for me and the shroud puts the noise up front - not sure how loud it is for others :)

I also have another Walther with Don's CF shroud which is prettier. The stiff CF tube dampens out any resonance in the barrel when free floated. Not sure if it makes that much difference but it is quite a tight fit on the barrel so it ain't coming off in a hurry to compare :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  17. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Ohhh this is all coming together nicely. Thanks for the help fellas . Stand by for more blithering. ...it's what I do best you know.,,,

18. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Here we go..
    Where do I look for a luvly airstripper. Ally or Ti ?

19. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Don how do I get hold of you ?

20. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    PM in bound :)