Bushnell Elite 8-32 users?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Barry, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Chaps... I'm considering my options for a new scope. I've had and used, an MTC viper 8-32, my first ever scope. Two Falcon T35s and Two Nikko Target Master 10-50s. It's time for a replacement I've narrowed my choices down to either another T35, or a Bushnell 8-32 front parralex.

I can currently get a brand new T35 for 200 quid. Bushnells are over twice that! and I'd have to wait a while longer for one

I know how the Falcons perform but I haven't even looked through a Bushnell, hence some questions for some kind soul to answer please?

How much does one weigh?
    What's the distance between the further range markings on the bell?
    Do folks dial 'em or use holdover?

I'm guessing they don't snap into focus at 32 mag but rather creep in like the T35

Do users think the bushnell is 2-300 quid better than a T35?

Many thanks in anticipation.

ATB

Barry

2. rich

rich Active Member

Would you like to send me a PM telling where you can get a brand new T35 for 200 quid?

3. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Not used a T35, but the Bushys are fantastic:if they came with mil-dot as an option then they would be a firm favourite for FT shooters, IMO. With Brian Samson's new 3D printed collar it makes ranging a doddle, and the glass is fantastic for clarity.

Good scopes for springers: only downside is their length, the focus is slow rather than snappy, and that they require packing if on high mounts. But then, so will a T35.

300-350 should get you a decent/good 2nd hand Bushy - but they come up infrequently, as people tend to hang onto them: says it all, really.

4. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    You have PM :)

5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I've never used a T35 so can't offer a comparison.

Weight is 22 oz
    Gap between 50 and 55 is 2.3mm
    I dial, but for the really close targets I use a combination of dialling and holding over so that I never need to go beyond a full turret turn.

Optically very good, never shifted throughout winter and summer temperatures, very well made and springer proof. Ranging is similar to lots of FT scopes i.e. Look for fine details (screw threads, frayed string ends etc) and stop when it's clear. Takes a bit of practice, but easy to learn.

The gap size between 50/55 sounds small at just 2.3mm but when you consider the size of the AO ring is 52mm as opposed to say 125mm on a sidewheel scope, the gap is plenty big enough to discern distances of 50, 51, 52.5, 54, 55.

It's difficult to answer a question on relative price/performance but it depends on your requirements for a scope. If there are times where you'd rather not shoot on 35 mag then the bushy offers an obvious advantage being able to drop mag. How much that's worth to you is a personal thing.

I range on 32x and shoot on about 20x.

2nd hand prices are about 300-350 and they don't hang around at that price, so if you buy one and want to move it on there's always a demand for them (that should tell you something)

Why did you get rid of your 2 T35's?

6. rich

rich Active Member

Thanks for the PM.

7. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Hi Brian.
    Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. I'm no closer to any kind of decision in spite of it. The low priced T35s that I mentioned have been discovered and price corrected, So budget is getting closer to 3-400 quid mark.

The first one was sold as an outfit when I gave up the sport for a few years after illness. The last one was because sometimes, I can be a bit of a knob :eek:

Cheers
    Barry

8. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I have Falcon T50's here and Elite's, rangefinding wise the Falcon's have the bushnell beat on ease, the bushnell take a bit of getting used to with a slow fade in and out, optically the bushnell is superior though with crisp bright image despite only being 40mm, no mildot reticle from the factory is a consideration if you use dots but I prefer the Elite over the Falcons simply due to weight, the rifle has far better balance with the Elite fitted!

9. mjoh

mjoh Member

Club:
    Broadlands A.R.C.
    I have not used a T35.The Bushnell has good optics but I found the front paralax is very difficult to focus when kneeling or standing compared to a sidewheel - of course you can sit down first and range find. I missed the mildots also as the new ones are Duplex reticle only. Also not so many clicks on the elevation for a full turn -- 48 compared to 60 on a Big Nikko for instance ( I think). I have missed a few targets by dialling a full revolution out - but thats my stupidity of course. Nice lightweight if long scope - but I went back to a heavy Big Nikko in the end.

10. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. The T35 is really very good and I regret selling my last one. Weight is an issue, it was with the Falcon and would be with a Nikko, so I'm still looking at fixed focal length.

Several others have weedled their way into my thoughts including Sightron and Weaver, both 36 fixed mag. However, at the price, it'll be a while yet.

Up until today, there were T35s on e bay priced at a hundred quid under retail, direct from Falcon. The error has been spotted and amended. At 300 quid I think i'd rather hold out for a used one of the above or the Bushnell for the superior glass and weight saving. I've got plenty of 'saving up' time to think about it.

If anyone uses any of them and is going to the Essex 50, I'd appreciate a look through :)

Thanks again
    Barry