Bushnell Elite 8-32 AO Ring - 3D printed

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Brian.Samson, May 1, 2014.

1. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I know these are difficult to get hold of these days and I could do with one for my spare scope, so this is my next little project.

The ring is pre-marked with the gaps I've got on the ring Nick Murphy made, which seems to be transferable to other scopes. i.e. the gaps are consistent from scope to scope. All you do is line up the 50 yard mark on the ring with the 50 yard mark on the scope and all the rest of the ranges will be correct.

The ring is designed to be a tight fit, but to clamp it in place there's a small recessed screw in the base to allow the ring to be securely clamped in place without damaging the scope.

These will be printed in white nylon, and will need painting (dead easy) and then finally just sand the paint off of the raised markers and numbers to give you nice clear white numbers on a black background.

The numbers are also angled so they can be read while the rifle is shouldered.

I've just finished the design for the prototype, it'll take a couple of weeks to come back from the printers and I'll probably send it off sometime next week so there's going to be about a 3 week wait before I can test the prototype out, and double check that the markers are in the correct place.

Not figured out a price yet, but at a rough guess I'd say they'll probably be about £15 judging by the size.

I'm not taking orders yet, just letting everyone know how development is coming along and to ask for comments and suggestions.

I'll update this thread as development progresses.

[​IMG]

2. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Nice

Brian,

That looks a right bit of kit fella...

Would you be able to sort one for a weaver t36 by any chance.....?

Berty

3. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Cheers mate

Yeah, I reckon I could - have you got a marked up T36 you could bring up to the Classic so I can measure it?
    I'm not shooting but I'm coming up for a wander round on Sunday.

Bri

4. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Some more renderings from different angles.

The ring itself is about 8mm thick, so you'll need at least 8mm of barrel clearance to fit it.
    The gap at the bottom looks huge in the rendering, but it's just over half a millimetre. (0.63mm)

Attached Files:

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Hi Brian, I know you're not taking orders but I'm posting so I get a subscription to the thread. Definitely interested! :)

6. bigwalk

bigwalk Member

Ring

I'll have two :)

7. Brian.Samson

Club:
    I'm going to try to get some gap sizes for a metric version too (metres instead of yards) and send off both prototypes to the printers at the same time.

We're about 6 weeks away from having a final tested item though chaps, but I'll post up my progress on here.

I could add some debossed writing on the front of the ring - since I'm planning on taking it with me to Middle Earth (NZ) in a few months time, I thought something written in Elvish would be appropriate - any suggestions :D

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  8. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    How about "suspicious minds"?

Oh, Elvish.......

9. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Good idea - my mind keeps going back to a silver T36 as an FT scope. The reticles on them are just so fine though.... how close does yours parallax?

A year or two ago a fellow over here in the USA talked about a limited run of them parallaxed for FT distance with an appropriately thicker reticle. I pooh-poohed the cost at the time ($700) but they are such light scopes with good glass and clicks that I'm re-thinking my objections.

I'm coming around to the idea that front PA scopes are a good idea.

10. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Now I haven't got a Bushnell Elite but for £15 I would have one of these just for the sake of having one :D
    Feckkin marvelous !

11. SDplinker

Club:
    Idea

Like a carbon fiber cylinder that extends back toward the shooter but still allows you to see the numbers. Since the Bushnells are long it would give a closer place to work the parallax ring.

A guy here in California built a home-made one.

As high as many folks mount their scopes, a larger ring in the same design you show with a flange or hub to fix the CF or nylon tube to might work??

Forgive my MS paint drawing but this is the idea:

[​IMG]

12. MikeS

MikeS Member

Club:
    PARC, Ossett & District, Hensall
    Looks great I would certainly like one.:)

13. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    Casey, the only problem is that other scopes may need other scale, Bushnell's distances won't be perfect for them.

14. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Eyup Casey

Yeah, I looked at that idea before but I don't know how popular it would be, I suspect not very, it would also work out pretty expensive to make, and there's a chance that turning it could end up turning the ring as well which would throw all your ranges out.

15. SDplinker

Club:
  16. SDplinker

Club:
    I don't follow - this would be for the Bushnell?

17. SDplinker

Club:
    Not to scale...but this is the idea

Same design as Brians exactly - number just pushed to the outside of a flange that faces the shooter. Carbon fiber or other tube mounts or glues to flange.

Just an idea. I know people do just fine as is. It's just I've used a Bushnell with a rearward extension like that for the AO and it's great for ergonomics. Depending on scope position it saves you some critical inches you need to reach forward.

It seems with the clamping that the nylon ring shouldn't slip on the Bushnell AO's metal. You could even put some rubber cement inside the ring or some other contact adhesive that could clean up later. After all people use scope sidewheels and they don't turn independently of the hub they are attached to, right?

EDIT: Found the real life version! Numbers on the rear flange too so even easier to read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  18. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club

19. Brazos

Brazos New Member

Ship to the US?

I have a Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32x40mm scope on my Daystate I would assume this would fit. Assuming you proceed with makng a run of these do you plan to ship them abroad? Mainly Texas? If so I would like to buy one.

20. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Hi Brazos

It'll fit perfectly, that's the really good thing with this 3D printing thing, the selective laser sintering machine used to make these things is extremely accurate (It should be when the machine's cost ¼ million). So once I've got a design that works I can order a batch of them and they're all perfect.

The only thing you'd need to keep in mind is that if you've got your bushnell mounted really close to your barrel/action there won't be enough room. You need to have at least 9mm gap between the scope and the barrel/action.

International postage for up to 3 of them in a jiffy bag is just £5.

Bri