Burris Signature 8-32 advice needed

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by killen, Sep 5, 2015.

1. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    I recently purchased a Burris Signature 8-32 RA scope for a project. I used one of these in the nineties and was one of the first to use them for FT. The one I had was brilliant, but let down by turrets which were not up to being constantly altered for each shot, as required by FT. Dave Wellham at Airmasters was the guy then to fix that problem.

The scope I now have needed this fix and Dave got the turret working perfectly.

Now after trying the scope, I have found that range finding only works effectively up to 45 yds. At 45yds, the image remains the same for 50 and 55 yds
    This was not what I remember. Looking at the front lens, there is evidence that the locking ring has been worked on to move it. Also I have found that the scope parallaxes down to 7 1/2 yds.
    I don't remember this being the case for the one I originally owned. So basically I have a scope that parallaxes between 7 1/2 to 45 yds...... Not what I really wanted.:eek:o Also puzzled why someone would set it up like this.:confused:
    I would like to hear from anyone who has one of these scopes to confirm what the minimum parallax distance should be.
    I guess that I need to move the front lens inward to increase the minimum distance and that this should make it better above 45yds. If this has to be done, I am not sure how to do it as so far I have not been able to make the lens locking ring move.

2. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

The Burris signature Select that I have has a tiny allen grub screw in the knurling on the PX ring, I think it is a 1/16" allen key? this is a stop screw that runs in a groove, unwinding it a couple of turns allows the PX ring to go round and round giving you all the PX adjustment you could ever want!

3. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    This screw has been backed off and that's the way it operates now. Moving the parallax front end pushes the lens in as far as it will go. And unscrewing it allows the lens to come out as far as it will go. This is what gives me the results I am seeing. With the little screw inserted to limit the movement of the lens. I get only a small part of what's possible. I think however that getting 7 1/2 yds is not right I would have expected something like twice this, but that the question I am asking....what should the minimum parallax distance be?
    If I am misunderstanding this, then the scope is no good as it can't be used to indicate the difference between 45 to 55 yds.

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Mine is all setup to shoot tomorrow, after tomorrow I will have a look at the adjustment range it has and whether it can differentiate between 45 and 50y.

5. Skypilot

Skypilot New Member

Both mine were bought used in the US market and focus down to 10 yards, maybe a scosh under. Definitely nowwhere near 7 1/2 yards.

It was probably tweaked for use at the Worlds.

K

6. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    Mine comes down to around 10 yards also and it's still going strong after nearly 20 years wouldn't part with it

7. Jon

Jon Member

Easy fix Dave, take the screw out, wind bell out 1 or 2 revs and drop screw back in, job done.
    Same as the old Zieller and many others you can increase the min and max range lengthening the slot.

Should be able to push back the whole lens carrier.

8. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    10yrds should be sharp, clear
    9yrds, slight blurr
    8yrds, very blurry

9. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Just tried mine Dave, minimum is 10yds mate.

10. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Thanks for that gents. So its 10yds which means mine has definitely been got at.
    Ties in with the marks on the lens locking ring.

11. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    You will have to show me what you mean Jon as the screw is out now. Dropping it back in just restricts the amount of available adjustment to one turn. What I am saying is that in the total available range I get 7 1/2 yds to 45. I can turn the front bell end about half a turn further, but the parallex effect does not change. Its basically a sharp image from 45 yds onwards. What I am trying to say is that I get nice positive parallax points for 30, 35, 40, and 45. For 50 onwards the image is clear at the 45 mark.
    I think the front lens needs screwed in so that the minimum distance is 10 yds not 7 1/2. Then hopefully the other end of the range 45 to 55 will start to open out and give different parallex point.
    Notice I said hopefully....

12. MikeS

MikeS Member

Club:
    PARC, Ossett & District, Hensall
    I recently bought one which had been messed about, as you say the small screw is just a stop what you have to do is as you say move the actual lens in/out so this what I did on a known 55 yard target it's trial and error you will of course need to make up a tool to fit the slots in the lens/lock ring and down to 10 yards does seem to be about the norm.

13. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Cheers...Thats what I thought. Tried making a tool from some steel plate I have but it just bent when I tried to turn the lens locking ring. Will try to get hold of some thicker plate.