building a hft rifle

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by petesonfire, Oct 30, 2014.

1. petesonfire

petesonfire Member

Club:
    misfits
    Hi, just looking for advice on building a rifle for hft, as much as id love to buy a styer or ftp I dont have the money :( so I want to build my own rifle over time, so I can build it to how I want it for hft, but where do I start? What rifle should I use as a base rifle? Is it worth buying a second hand rifle or the block of a rifle and buy a barrel, reg etc. Separate as they will all get changed anyway. Cheers for any help/ info

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi and welcome.
    Interesting question, and quite an undertaking.
    I am a little confused as you state HFT which is predominantly for hunting style rifles which can be picked up for not a lot of money. Appreciate if you want to get higher up in the classes (leagues) you would probably evolve your kit but there is no need to. FT is another ball game altogether and does have a fair bit of hand built custom stuff around but again it is not necessary - good Glass however is always a good investment.
    You need a good quality PCP with single shot capability and some medium to good glass to fit on top - that's really all. Obviously a bottle and bag etc but at least you then have your first year or so covered.
    Air arms 200 or 400 series can be got for not a lot of money. I got my HW100 for £390 as it needed work.
    What budget do you have - or is the build just for fun and you are pretty handy then all the above will not apply.

3. Craig-P

Craig-P Member

As John above says, I'd have a look for an AAS400, adapt the stock in whichever way that suits you and find a multi-aim point optic that also suits you and go from there.
    If you want to throw a bit more cash at it and have a rifle with a bit more adjustability, you can pick up a ProTarget for around the £500 mark ( I have one ).

Just be sure to enjoy yourself with whatever you choose.

Cheers, Craig

4. petesonfire

petesonfire Member

Club:
    misfits
    Well at the min I just do hft, but may venture in to ft, currently use a hunstman which I also use for hunting, nothing wrong with it just wanted to do a bit of a project and thought I would build a rifle just for hft/ft, and make it to the best it can be and get a stock made for it, hence do I buy a complete rifle and change bits to it or buy each bit seperate?

5. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Building a custom or bespoke gun from an idea through to something you can use can be very time consuming, more costly than going out and buying an off the peg high end gun and frustrating as hell at times.
    You also have to figure in that when there are problems or niggles, its down to you to be fault finder and fixer.
    This is from experience, not hearsay or guesswork ;)
    On the other side, when everything goes right, its really satisfying.

Dont do it if you cant do the engineering yourself, or you dont have sponsors, it will cost too much.

6. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have gone down that route, I started with a BSA ultra, designed and made my own regulator, I have also made my own 2 stage trigger, hammer, firing valve, fill port and gauge assembly. The pellet probe and loading tray is also my own, in fact there is only the air tube that could be switched for a std off the shelf replacement from BSA. Don't try making your own air tube for safety!!

The rifle has won a few HFT series, had a 100% at a UK and a World round. It is tremendously satisfying to go this way if it is in your blood, it is far more satisfying to shoot than an off the shelf rifle!!

Don't expect to get it right straight away so build it along side shooting your Huntsman, mine is still a work in progress 4 years in!
    If I were doing it all over again I would start with the block from an AA action like a Pro Target as the trigger is very good.
    If you cant do the engineering yourself then the satisfaction level wont be the same and the cost much higher.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  7. Craig-P

Craig-P Member

As Tench says, if you shoot your Huntsman whilst you complete the build, you can afford to take your time and perfect it.
    If you can't do the machining work yourself and can't stretch the budget to get it done, then AAs400's and ProTargets will allow you to swap cylinder and barrel lengths and stocks with various other models - so you're creating a more suitable, 'custom rifle' from readily available, off the shelf parts.

ATB - Craig

8. petesonfire

petesonfire Member

Club:
    misfits
    Thats what I was thinking, not in a rush to get it done so time isnt a problem, I might not be able to do the machine work but know people that could just fancy a bit of a peoject, thinking maybe aa 500; as I like the side lever action, are they good for changeable bits?

Thanks for all the advice

9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Pete, any of the AA series 400/500/MPR are more than capable for HFT. They're easy to work on and have many parts that can be tuned and modified. I would say that you're quite close to Kibworth...pop along and have a chat with Greg Hensman or Kieran Turner. There's a lot of good HFT experience at Kibby so you won't go far wrong...also UKNeil is a member and a very, very handy chap to know when it comes to making custom/bespoke items, damn nice chap to boot.

I have customised 2 S400 series rifles in the past for HFT. One was a s400 carbine barrel/classic cylinder, custom muzzle brake, tuned trigger and custom stock. That rifle cleared 2 national and 2 regional courses. I've currently got a s400 action, free floated carbine barrel,classic cylinder in a MPR stock. Nice rifle but i'm well known on the HFT circuit for being the Steyr man:D

Any questions or if you fancy a road trip to my club (Emley Moor) ,where we always have a full UKAHFT spec practice course out, then please drop me a PM.

10. petesonfire

petesonfire Member

Club:
    misfits
    Yeah kibby is my local, and I do hft when im not working there, greg and kieran are top blokes and have spoke to neil a few times just done see them enough to talk about this sorta thing, think I might go with a 500 or mpr as they were the other rifles I was looking at when I got my huntsman and like both of them, cheers for the help im sure ill be back asking more questions when I get one lol, would I be better buying a whole rifle and changing bits or buy all the bits seperate?

11. rich

rich Active Member

AA S400 single shot - originally a Classic but now with the longer export/FAC air cylinder. Superb weight balance, very consistent, almost no power curve, doesn't need a regulator, best part of 100 shots per fill.

Haven't won a single prize with it but it's a delight to shoot.:eek:o

[​IMG]

12. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

At least you can miss with style Rich!

13. rich

rich Active Member

An immodest correction; I did come second in the giant HFT bash between East Devon FTC and the AGBBS crew a few years ago. :eek:

14. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Why did only two people turn up ?