Buggeration!

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Barry, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    New FT setup all arrived yesterday. Hammerli AR20 and Falcon T35. Both used but got me re started in FT for under 700 quid. :)

.5 degrees milled into the picatinny I read...................Surely I'm not going to have to shim the front of the scope!? :eek:o

Attempting a zero today suggests just that, unless I'm missing something? It's been a while...........

Barry

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Down

5 degrees downward at the front is the industry standard . it should allow you to get 8 yards to 55 yards ??? HOLLY:)

3. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

Sounds right assuming the front is lower than the rear of tje rail
    Youd shim the rear of the scope to lower the point of aim making you lift the rifle to raise the point of impact

Unless ive got it all wrong

4. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    how much

Barry, is it marked 0.5 or 5.0 degrees ?

5. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I cant see any mark on it, but according to Blackpool air rifles it's half a degree. That's 30 MOA!! I've read that elsewhere too.

Has anyone else got one? How did you zero it?

Cheers
    Barry

6. rich

rich Active Member

It measures about half a degree if you measure the drop and the length and divide one by the other and use a little bit of trig.

I have the same set-up, a T35 on the Weaver rail, and it is too much slope. My T35 is barely a quarter a turn off the end of the travel, at the top of the pellet flight, and another third of a turn or so at 55 yards.

One solution is adjustable mounts but with a Weaver base they fetch something like £70 so not cheap.

AJP does a rail for the AR20 and you can specify dovetail or Weaver top, and that is adjustable, and that is one route I may take.

The other option I am looking at is to screw a length of dovetail rail to the top of the AR20 Weaver rail, and pack the front end by about half a millimetre. I have a piece of rail from Terry Robb that would do the trick. If I had a mill I could machine a slope in the underside; instead I'd have to file it by hand and then finish it on a surface plate with wet and dry paper.

The only risk areas with this are making sure that the two rails can't move in relation to each other, and that the dovetail rail is true with the barrel axis. If there is any clearance allowing the top rail to slide sideways then the left and right zero will never hold. Might end up with Araldite.

7. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Thanks Rich. I thought I was losing it for a while. Why on earth would they manufacture and fit a rail with 30 moa in it for something designed for air field target :confused: I hope this is gonna be the only issue.
    I've thought up a workaround in the meantime which might be worth a try and that is to shim under the front scope mount inside the picatinny groove. There appears to be a little space and the ring should clamp securely enough with shim under it.

I'll give it a go sometime this week. It's gonna be trial and error though as I have no clue what shim thickness will compensate. At least the scope tube will be safe

Barry

8. rich

rich Active Member

Are you using the mounts that are split vertically?

I managed to shim between the rail and the mount with a piece of pellet tin lid, it's only 0.22mm thick, and the declination of the rail is around six times that, so it doesn't go very far to correct the problem.

I have to say, although it doesn't do the job I'd like it to, the little shim does clamp down well and make a very firm mounting for the scope.

The combination of the AR20 and the T35 is very impressive. I used mine for 20 yard bench rest last Friday and the first card I shot was a personal best.

9. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    No mine are conventional weaver rings, they do fit very well indeed. I'm led to believe that the rail itself is Mil spec so a decent shim should work. I'll let you know how it goes Rich. If it works, it'll save a lot of time and money.

From what you say, about 1 mm would be a good starting point

It's reassuring to hear good things about the AR20. I bought mine as a budget route back into FT. I've owned and used a T35 before and it was a fabulous scope for the money

10. Jinx

Jinx Non member

It's reassuring to hear good things about the AR20. I bought mine as a budget route back into FT.

I would be happy to put my AR up against any gun out there to be honest.
    I am not the best shooter but the gun itself is awesome.
    You should have some serious fun with it and it has a huge shot per charge count.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  11. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Good to read Jinx :)

12. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Fantastic guns mate.
    I may buy another air rifle or 2 :) but what i won't do is part with the AR20 i have. It's an awesome bit of kit all round.:D

13. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Fitting the 2 mounts closer together will make any shimming under the front mount have more of an effect on raising the front of the scope, as the same height change over a shorter distance will increase the angle.

14. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Now this is why I ask stuff :)

Thanks Tench