BubbleO'meters

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by greyskullnz, Sep 16, 2011.

1. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Looking at the videos and pictures from the Worlds this year, just wondering why there are still bubble levels, and the occasional inclinmeter on rifles.

Why have we not moved to a similar "horizon level" used in aircraft, and seen on 4x4 dashboards.

One gadget to do two things. Less clutter. I hate clutter on rifles. Probably picked the wrong sport........:rolleyes:

GS

2. Pete cal.177

Pete cal.177 New Member

Club:
    Redfern FTC
    Hi one of the members in our club has a Digital level with LED'S on, the type that fits on the Hot Shoe of a Camara Don't know if is like the one on the 4x4 dashboards, but it works OK , Pete

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
  4. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Was just musing on the idea of not only getting the level of the rifle right, but also reading off the angle of elevation of depression. The LED light designs would be good for peripheral vision etc etc, but they wouldn't tell me what angle up or down I'm taking a shot at. If I can read the trajectory angle I can judge the adjustment.

Just thought the floating ball you get on 4x4 dashboards was much like the horizon indicator on aircraft, no friction and gives you an angle for all directions. Bonus being very discreet item. I had one mounted on a 4x4 hillclimber mower when I was contracting so I didn't exceed the tipping point on the machine.

Oh well, no biggie.

GS

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  5. Jon

Jon Member

I can just see some gadget freak trying to install one of these, just because it may look good and serve no purpose.
    [​IMG]

6. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

That is the idea, but not the execution Jon. That is way too cumbersome and inappropriate. But the information supplied is what I would be looking for......so a slightly different execution is required.

I'll browse the local auto stores and look for the small gadget I usd to have, that would be less intrusive than a bubble level. Smaller than a scope turret is size.

While I can live and shoot FT without a bubble level,.....if steep inclines are going to become a significant part of World match courses in the future, then training with such a device will be part of the preparation don't you think?

I'm personally not in favour of excessive inclined shots, but if its in the course, one has to adapt. Just as all manner of other added difficulties are now a part of Worlds Matches.

GS

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Have you shot while canting? Can make quite a difference to impact.

8. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Ummm yes.

The most useful bubble I ever used was mounted inside the occular of a scope I bought some years ago. It was a crap scope with poor glass, but the bubble inside the scope was actually very very useful.

GS

9. JTM

JTM New Member

Club:
    Cape Air Rifle, Atlantic Airgun Club
    I would like to see what the unit looks like that the original post refers too.

I have 2 levels and an angle indicator on my rifle and yes it is a little bit cluttered , but managable.

As far as electronic levels are concerned , I had the Microlevel unit that mounts on the occular bell of the scope. Wasn't my thing as it was more of a distraction then any help. At our national event a few guys tried the small electronic camera levels , but they don't seem to last very well in the rain and were plagued with battery issues. Cheap Chineese units they were.

At least my bubble levels' batteries won't die on my ;)

10. cwprice

cwprice Member

bubble levels

I use bubble levels to set up my scope. As it is a mil dot scope i then use the cross hairs to prevent cant. The only time I can think of to use a bubble on the rifle is if you use a target dot retical. The new AccuCover works well but takes a while to get used to.

11. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Your a better man than me if you can avoid canting the rifle without a spirit level on the scope or gun.

Its easy enough on flat ground but once you are sat on a slope (running right to left or left to right) it is amazing how far out you can be,

12. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    cant

:eek::Dits a bugger on those standers dave :D

13. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    No Mike - when you see me miss a stander I am not shouting "CANT" - its another word :eek: ;)

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
  15. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
  16. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Almost Rob

That is the one!.......remove the base and that is what I used. I haven't found another here yet, but when I do its going to get a trial run.

Whaddya think? right concept for beating cant and inclined shots in one unit?

This one could possibly be used on something like the "Daystate" electronic air rifles.:D

I agree a level to reduce/eliminate cant is quite important. I've trained with one and competed leaving it off, and yes uneven ground or leaning targets can throw you off a bit. The biggest trouble I have is getting any level device mounted at a correct focal length for my eye (need reading glasses now) so for a while it was mounted on the silencer out past the windithingy......useful with left eye open when taking the shot. Only problem was putting the rifle away in the case I had to remove it.

Simple and unobtrusive would be best I think. Waterproof too as mentioned.......