BSA Scorpion SE Multi Shot in .22

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by A1WOC, Apr 17, 2018.

1. A1WOC

A1WOC Member

This isn’t a full review, just my first impressions after buying a BSA PCP again.

Until a few weeks ago, my “go to” rifle was a .177 HW100; it is customised for HFT that I no longer participate in, and I felt it’s a shame to use the HW100 for vermin control with the knocks and bumps in all-weather it will receive.

This in mind I started to look for something basic that I wouldn’t be frightened to get dirty. In my search I came across a second hand Scorpion SE multishot at a bargain price. It was in as new condition but it was .22, and my past experience with .22 calibre was tainted with a poor performing HW100 that I had five or six years ago.

I’ve had a couple of .177 BSA PCP’s in the past (Ultra SE & Goldstar SE) and found them to be very accurate, and easy to work on, however I found the cocking action a little dated.

Buying the BSA Scorpion was a bit of a gamble, at first I couldn’t get my head around .22’s loopy trajectory in comparison to the .177 that I was used to. With trial and error I set about acquainting myself with this new addition. I have found the perfect pellet (Falcon Accuracy) and setting the power to just under 12ftlb I’ve now got excellent accuracy out to 35yds and tight enough groups out to 50yds for the occasional long shot.

As most of my shooting is between 20 to 45yd, I have zeroed at 35yd, this allows me to sight within 1milldot holdover at 45yd and 1milldot under at 20yds with a 10x magnification.

Feeling very confident with its performance I am now using it for the vermin control I bought it for. It has put to rest any doubt I had about .22 calibre; the accuracy is equal to any of the .177 calibre rifles I have used, and coupled with the extra impact of the larger pellet, vermin don’t stand a chance. It’s still early days but with a current 100% success rate it has far exceeded my expectations.

Steve.

DSC_0024.JPG

Stream123 and MickyFinn like this.
  2. Gunnery

Gunnery Member

Club:
    bolton
    Has it been Bowkett Tuned i just ask because of the large bolt handle and barrel shroud thanks

3. A1WOC

A1WOC Member

All the work is my own, from fine tuning to making the very quiet shroud.

Steve.

4. Gunnery

Gunnery Member

Club:
    bolton
    very nice

A1WOC likes this.
  5. Stream123

Stream123 Member

Club:
    Atherton indoor range
    Very nice rifle my friend