1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSA Goldstar SE

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by A1WOC, Jun 22, 2015.

1. A1WOC

A1WOC Member

I ve had my new Goldstar just over a week now, it performs well with JSB 4.53 and I can t fault its shooting consistency. When I handled it in the shop it appeared to be well made, nicely balanced and felt comfortable. I do have a couple of gripes though after getting used to it and also putting it through an HFT event. The knurling on the air cylinder would have been better put on the rotating filling port cover as the cover is smooth and quite stiff to turn. The hamster has wood screws holding it to the adjustable cradle; they were loose and needed tightening when I carried out adjustment. The hamster cradle itself needs the allen bolt ridiculously tight to prevent movement; from my original preferred setting it migrated back to the stock during an HFT shoot.
    All in all a very nice looking rifle but flawed with simple design faults. Is it worth the £900 price tag? My £725 HW100 isn t as pretty but a solid performer and just as consistently accurate!
    Regards, Steve.

2. Rapido

Rapido New Member

Hi Steve,

Same here. I ordered the Gold Star as I liked the looks, and wanted to try a smaller rifle than the FTP900 I have already ... And the AA HFT 500 I considered. Now, after 5-6 weeks I would choose differently.

I think the rifle is way too expensive. General finish is not up to standard (blue-ing, materials used for hamster, plastic trigger-group) and some stupid design flaws. To remove the action from the stock you need to completely take out the hamster assembly. And with the quality of the materials used, that's an undertaking I don't want to do too often :)
    Trigger comes standard with a first stage which is two miles long. Taking that out means that the safety will not work anymore.
    I struggle to get 50-55 consistent shots from a filling, not enough for a HFT game and some practice shots beforehand. Which means taking the heavy bottle with you.
    Although it's not fuzzy about normal weight pellets, I can't get the tight groups I will get with my FTP or much cheaper Hammerli FT. And it's inconsistent with JSB Expresses. Best results with H&N FTT's.

All-in-all, I should have ordered the AA HFT, about the same price here in Netherlands!

3. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Steve has been very busy modifying his Goldstar and it shoots very well now.

4. john79

john79 JEDI

I've owned mine for nearly a year now and it's performed faultlessly ,mine isn't pellet fussy shoots very well with most pellets.

John.

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    How much??!! :eek:
    Thought they looked quite good but assumed they'd be round the £600 mark.
    Wasn't in the market for one mind. If and when I get back to PCPs it's likely to be HW101.

6. henryc

henryc New Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Bought one about 6 months ago and got rid after 2 weeks. I found it very accurate but also very loud. The rifle shot no where near the shot count claimed by BSA and removing the stock was an ordeal with so many fiddly little bolts to undo, the holes for the stock bolts were so small and not being protected by metal ferrules or anything I think after being removed times would get ragged and spoil the stocks finish. Filling to 232 bar and only getting 70 shots was IMHO rubbish as when my 300 bar bottle got down to say 200bar I only got 40 or so shots. I also thought loading was fiddly and fitted with a side wheel scope was almost impossible. (I know it's an HFT gun but so what) Ended up with an AA FTP 900 so much better!

7. Emma

Emma Member

Club:
    Millride & Purley Chase

8. Charlie 11

Charlie 11 New Member

Interesting review,as the SE was on my list. Think my money will be on the AA HFT

9. Matt46

Matt46 Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I have just sold both Mine and the Wife’s Gold Stars we could not get on with them at all. My wife now has the AA HFT500 and she is loving it, she says it’s very nice to shoot and the shot count is excellent.

10. what barn door

what barn door Active Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    Had one from new, kept it a week, that was too long, glad to see it go. Loud I could cope with, lousy shot count I couldn't and mine was not that accurate either.

Matt46 likes this.