BSA Goldstar - Dolphin

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by what barn door, Apr 12, 2015.

1. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Hi,

I checked out the BSA Goldstar with a view to having it out in the field and using it for starting my venture into HFT.

A lovely well balanced gun but sadly not much use to me.

I bought it under the impression that I was going to get 120 shots in .177 as advertised, no where near, not even close. So when BSA were contacted they said that they have amnded the claim to 75 shots, that's ridiculous.

But to make matters worse, mine would only get to 50, then the power dropped off rapidly.

So unless you actually want a 50 shot gun from a 230 bar fill, the BSA Goldstar is not for you.

WBD

PS Dolphin Discount of Stoke-on-Trent were fantastic, They offered me my money back without me even asking for that. I just asked what they were going to do about it. Now that is good lod fashioned service.

WBD

2. john79

john79 JEDI

When you filled to 230 bar did you let the air res cool down then top it up to 230 bar? if not you could of lost 15 bar when it cooled down and this would account for the poor shot count either that or your guage was reading wrong

3. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    I thought it was aimed at competition target shooters, HFT in particular,
    So you'd only need 30-35 ish, for a comp, even 40-45 on a 40 shot special, so 75 would be plenty.

4. Kevg

Kevg Warning: May post in random areas

Club:
    Misfits
    Since I shimmed the stock and action on mine I'm getting over 70 good shots.

5. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Mines giving 70 + straight outta box...cracking rifle and plenty for hft /sft/ft comps;)

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    How does that work?

I have to confess that based on comments here and elsewhere I now have a Gold Star. I have not done a shot count, but it must be 70 plus, I have done some accuracy testing and I am very impressed.

Size and weight wise it reminds me of my Steyr LG100, as it does in accuracy, but it does resist the wind very well, something my Steyr was incapable of doing.

7. Kevg

Kevg Warning: May post in random areas

Club:
    Misfits
    I was get poi movement as the cylinder was getting empty and I thought it was because it was dropping off the Reg but since I've spaced the stocked and action it's awesome

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That would make sense, I used to do the same to Ripley AR5's.

9. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Just not right

Hi,

I use my bottle (7L) constantly and it is never far off with my other guns so I doubt it was the gauge. Not only did I slow fill and then top up, so did the shop I bought it from. From shot 1 up to shot 53 were very consistant through the chrono and on target, after that the power dropped off rapidly, I never got to shoot 60.

Fifty shots would be enough, if the gun didn't need a pre course plink to confirm zero and adjust the scope if needed. Plus a drop of 33% in shot count indicates that there is something wrong to me.

Having said all of that, one point I failed to get across was how good the gun shop were in dealing with my complaint. Anyone can buy a gun that has a fault with it, then it doesn't matter a jot what anyone else claims about there gun, it's how that problem is dealt with ( IMHO ).

But thank you for the suggestions on how to resolve the issue, that is why these forums can be so useful and friendly.

WBD

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015