BSA 10x50-60 Help!

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by killen, Nov 29, 2012.

1. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Just bought a s/h BSA scope with a 115mm wheel.
    I found parallaxing was very repeatable throughout the FT range 10 - 55 yds. Snaps in very well.
    Good spacings all the way up to 45yds but from 45 to 50 and 50 to 55 the spaces are only 1.5mm.

The scope is in very good condition and no evidence of re-parallaxing. It comes down to 10 yds min which I can see it was meant to do from the original wheel markings.

I have seen other BSA's with much better spacings between 50 to 55. So the problem is me or the scope.
    I know you have to get used to a scope, but as I said I find it very repeatable getting to the same position every time for 55 yds, so is there a way of opening up the spacings. Fitting a shark fin wheel would increase the spacing, but only to 2.5mm so thats not the answer on its own.

Removed the front ring and can see that it can be re-parallaxed easily, but is this the answer?

Any help from BSA scope fanatics would be appreciated.:confused:

2. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

bsa

i have the big bsa i found the shark fin sidewheel the best for good size inbetween markings mine ranges from 7-55 spot on .:)And my 50-55 is just over a centermetre gap

3. TimG

TimG Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Bigger wheel or sharks fin needed methinks.

4. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

Large gaps are not the answer, honest
    If you look at a target at say 54-55 yrds,
    And your paralax is set at 50-51 ish and the 54 yatd is blured
    Then thats all that matters. Big gaps can & do make ranging very vauge.

5. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    If your ranges down to 7 yds, it must have been altered...re parallaxed.
    Maybe I need to bring mine in to 7 yds

6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    If you bring it down to 7yrds (for whatever strange reason you need 7) you will definitely obtain bigger gaps between your ranges 50-55. You will also definitely loose the snap and rangefinding will become slow and vague.

7. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Are you sure Conor? - I have tried this on a MK1 and Mk3 Nikko and found that bringing the focus range closer (from 10 yards to 8 yards) actually made the gaps at the top end smaller.

I have not tried it on a Big BSA though.

Dave.

8. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Well I am going to try it as the gaps couldn't be smaller than they are now. Got to try something.....

9. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Bsa p/x

This is just to let you know how I got on trying to increase the gaps in the range 45 to 55 yds on my scope.
    As my first message, I had 1.5mm gaps on a 115dia wheel, between 45 - 50 and 50 - 55yds.
    To do something about this, I tried moving the front lens first to get the scope to come down from 10 yds to 7 yds. This was achieved, but then I found I couldn't get 50 or 55yds. Next I tried the opposite direction and took the min P/X out to 12 yds. This trebled the gaps from 1.5mm to 4.5mm. In the end settled for a minimum change from 10 yds to approx 10.75yds and the gaps stayed at the new values. Can't say I understand how such a small movement of the front lens made such a big difference to the P/X gaps, but it did. The 50 and 55 yds marks are also way off from where they were but the gaps are bigger....yes :D
    Sold the pintly little 115wheel and am waiting for a Barry Taylor shark fin, which should by my calculations make the gaps approx 7mm which seems nearer to what most people have.

Dave
    :shot:

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Told you so ;)

11. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I'm a pilchard

Yeah he did, what the hell was I raving about :eek::eek:

12. KNIFEMAN

KNIFEMAN New Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FT
    big BSA

If you re paralax any scope to focus by moveing the front element outward what you have done is to shorten the focoal length of the scope. This will reduce the gaps at the longer ranges, The shorter the focal length of any lens the closer the distance marking become, our FT scopes are only zoom lenses without the shutters