Broken HW97 Mk1 cocking link :(

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by MTA, Mar 17, 2019.

1. MTA

MTA Member

Club:
    MAD
    The cocking link on my hw97 Mk1 broke today. The compression tube has colided with back of the barrel out of alignment causing damage. The opening for the barrel is now 0.5mm too narrow in width due to the hammered metal.

A new cocking link is cheap enough but is it worth trying to salvage the current comp tube (25mm)? Any one else smashed one like this? 1552837966307619387628.jpg 1552837966307619387628.jpg

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

What's happened ?
    The transfer port has closed up by 0.5 mm ?

Good job you didn't have your fingers in there

3. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    Hasn't happened to me, but interesting to see how the tube revolved a bit through the spring action.
    I think I would go for a new tube unless you have soom tooling to be able to reinstate the correct size. As long as the breech seal meets up with the barrel correctly it would work, but if not the correct size I would think it would score down the outside of the barrel.

4. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    I would restore the diameter, if it were me , the diameter isn't crucial as the hw seal works on crush, use a half round bearing scraper if you have one .

scraper.jpg

5. MTA

MTA Member

Club:
    MAD
    luckily it occured as i was pulling the underleaver; fingers intacted. Makes me think about the need for a proper anti bear trap though.

Its not the transfer port but the metal in front of the breach seal that has been hammered out of shape. The barrel rear no longer fits in. If it was a central port I might be tempeted to machine it back on the lathe but as its offset and too big for the bore in my 4 jaw its no deal. I guess i could set it up on a vee block on the cross slide and use the boring head. Not sure how the front plate of the comp tube is secured but do worry what stress may have occured.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. MTA

MTA Member

Club:
    MAD
    I have a graver that would substitute. Thanks for the sugestion.

7. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    It will never be the same again.

When's the funeral?

bow likes this.
  8. hmangphilly

Oh
    I see .
    As nick says you can prob ease the hole back out with a bearing scraper or deburring tool .

Worth a go

9. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I inherited one exactly like that. The previous owner had just dumped it at the local back street 'gun shop' ( basically a fishing tackle shop that sold the odd s/h springer ).

The damage to the end of the comp tube looked exactly like yours. I took out the seal and basically just made good ( 'ish until the barrel end slid in ) with a round file and a flat file on the front. Cosmetically looked poor but sealed perfectly and shot as well as it ever did.

If you can live with the visual imperfection I'd just do that and keep an eye out for a s/h 25mm comp. tube. Not cheap though ... norm is about 50 notes. Nick's suggestion and your tool may be better than the round file. It's just a matter of shifting metal out of the way so the barrel pushes up against the seal.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  10. hmangphilly

You need a bigger 4 jaw

IMG_4057.JPG

eggie likes this.