British shooting looking for you

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Jul 29, 2014.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    British Shooting are set to launch a nationwide search for athletes across all shooting disciplines (shotgun, rifle & pistol) as part of a new Talent ID campaign, Target Tokyo.

Working in conjunction with the Performance Pathway Team; a collaboration between UK Sport and the English Institute of Sport, the recruitment drive is targeting focused and motivated individuals who have the desire to represent Great Britain and reach the Olympic podium. The ultimate aim of the project is to identify those shooters that have the potential to be developed for the 2020 Olympic Games.

Previous UK Sport led Talent ID campaigns have unearthed athletes such as Sochi 2014 skeleton champion Lizzy Yarnold, London 2012 champion Helen Glover and Taekwondo athlete Lutalo Muhammad, who won Olympic bronze at London 2012.

The Talent ID campaign is just one aspect of the Performance Pathway Team s work at British Shooting which will focus on the development athletes, coaches and managers who have the capacity to impact on future Olympic and Paralympic Games.

British Shooting are entering an exciting stage as it looks to enhance the GB Performance Pathway and have launched a GB Academy Programme (GBAP) that will aim to recruit and develop the next generation of target shooters to ensure continued success at future Olympic Games and World events. The primary aim of the GBAP is to produce a consistent supply of target shooters to the world class programme who clearly demonstrate that they have the potential to become world class athletes, capable of achieving world leading results at the Olympic Games.

Olympic champion Peter Wilson said: “It s a breakthrough for British Shooting to be looking at the talent side of the sport; we ve always had a lot of focus on the world class aspect, but nothing feeding that.

This is really very exciting; it s the start of a new era for British Shooting and British shooters.â€

Launching in August, Target Tokyo offers an exciting opportunity for existing shooters to attempt to take their performance to the next level and for shooters of all disciplines to examine the possibility of training and competing in the Olympic disciplines with a view to being a potential Olympic medalist. If you are a shooter and believe that you have the dedication and potential to reach the very top, register your interest from 23rd July and complete an application sign-up from 5 August at www.uksport.gov.uk/talent.

2. dae2830

dae2830 Member

What a great opportunity for the youngsters nowadays...if only I was younger :D

3. RobF

Club:
    Doesn't say anything about age... a shooter well older than me just won the 10m pistol...

4. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Really

Rob,

Do tell how old was this person.....

Berty

5. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Berty,

Mick Gault recently took bronze in the 10m pistol at the Commonwealth Games and he's 60

Shaun

6. rich

rich Active Member

It's a pity the olympics don't include 20 yard LSR or I might apply. I'm not much older than Mick.....;)

7. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I emailed them after London 2012 after winning the 2013 championship. No response! This is positive.

Cheers.

8. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

hmmmmmm

Should I? After sunday maybe not

9. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Do it Dave, I have heard that Holly has.

He has sent his CV in apparently it includes shooting achievements and that he is a top Field Target ‘keyboard coach and course building expert! :D :D :D

10. dae2830

dae2830 Member

Dam...can't find the section where I'm allowed to use "a designated white post" in the prone position:D:D

11. RobF

Club:
    It's alright Dave. They shoot level ;)

But joking aside did anyone see the 3p women's final? A lady of the more generous ft shooter build was streets ahead in the prone and kneeling... Didn't fair too well on standing but it shows that all shapes and sizes can not be held back from competing at the top.

12. RobF

Club:
    The way I've been shooting I think they may give me a white stick.

13. nat

nat Member

I watched it too. Amazing how they can get changed and sort their rifles out between disciplines and then shoot so calmly.