Both eyes open

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Malcolm lockhart, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

How many people shoot a scoped gun with both eyes open.
    Are they any benefits, or advantages, is it worth the effort of training to do it?

2. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    I do but I’m not sure if it makes any difference for me, it just feels comfortable

3. Brent

Brent Member

Club:
    Park lodge
    I shoot a scoped gun one eye closed shotgun both eyes open

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I do. All my shooting is both eyes open: archery, scoped rifles, peepsight rifles, even open sight on a pistol (unorthodox but works for me)

Benefits are less eyestrain, and the ability to detect environmental changes (e.g. wind moving foliage).
    No training required as it comes naturally (to me).

I don't think there is a big downside to not doing it though, if you find it really distracting.

Sc0, Waldo and Tone like this.
  5. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I shoot with both eyes open, this relaxes the face and stops tension affecting the shot .
    I was taught this when I used to shoot full bore and 0.22 rim fire rifles.
    I used a blinker on the non shooting eye.

6. uk_stretch

uk_stretch Member

Both eyes open leaves your facial muscles more relaxed. That generally has benefits as relaxation is good in most execution sports. There are studies of how the facial tension impacts your aiming acuity positively. I may be out of date on that though... Google should kick something out. Only works if you are aiming with your dominant eye. Should make target acquisition easier as your normal field of view is still in play also.

Only negative is that in poor light or poor head position your non dominant eye can take over. With a scope that is not a big issue and your brain will flick it back - it may just feel odd.

I just shoot both eyes open because I shot my bow that way. When I changed from one eye to two eyes in archery my scores jumped (once I worked it out) but others can’t get used to the balance.

Try it for yourself.

Stretch

Waldo likes this.
  7. old foggy

old foggy Member

Club:
    loughborough air gun club
    agree, was told from full bore shooting to use both eyes open, as said by all above good idea goggle as already said

8. Bensile

Bensile Well-Known Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    I shoot one eye closed so half of me can have a kip.

frank and MickyFinn like this.
  9. skydog

skydog Talent Is Overrated

Club:
    The Dib
    Both eyes open. Having both eyes open removes one aspect of physical tension, and physical tension in any target sport is not good.

To transition from one eye to both eyes open when shooting, try shooting at a fall when hit target at about 40 yds.
    With both eyes open shoot at the face plate and don't worry about target end, concentrate on relaxing the face as well as your usual shooting technique/style. After about 10 shots rest for a couple of minutes and carry on with another 10 shots, repeat for as long as you are comfortable.
    Very quickly your brain will adapt to split vision and you will automatically start to concentrate on the hit zone and at the same time register peripheral information.
    Be patient and give yourself time. Shooting both eyes open will be of a definite benefit to you.

HTH.

10. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I do - seems more comfortable AND I can see what my spirit level and windicator are doing.

Not that it does me any good - probably better both eyes shut most of the time...

11. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Both eyes open, if you shut one eye you introduce all kinds of nasty muscle spasms into the face.
    Keep them open and train your brain to switch between each eye so you can keep situational awareness.

12. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

I have tried, but had to make a leather patch which slipped over the scope, like a lug to block the other eye.
    The main reason was to prevent the none aiming eye going blurry after prolonged shooting.
    It did seem better vision but very unnatural.
    Wrong dominant eye over stock doesn't help.

13. marojaz

marojaz Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Some good advice above re benefits of shooting with both eyes open.

If you are just learning to do it, begin by slightly squinting the non scope eye to start with. Gives you most of the benefits with much reduced negatives (tension etc) until you make the full transition.

Since I started FT, I find it better to RANGE with my non scope eye shut to improve concentration on the acute focusing required and reduce artifacts - but after a few seconds I am aware of the extra tension generated in my face because of it.

Have toyed with the idea of an eye patch as above (just for focusing as will always take the shot with both eyes open)

gdavison likes this.
  14. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    I find both eyes open for me works better.
    Still seem to see out of right eye only
    Right eye does not screw up with both eyes open.
    They it with out a scope just close your left eye .does your right eye close and shake a bit

15. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Eye patches are fine as long as you can put up with the relentless ‘Aye Jim Lad’ barracking and finding random parrots dumped in your kit bag.
    If your dominant eye is your scope eye, then you’re already well on the way to training your brain to only register that image when ranging, aiming etc. If you’re left eye dominant but scoping right eye you’re going to have a bit of a tussle to bring the brain to heel, but you’ll get there with practice...

16. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    I always take the shot with both eyes open, it feels more 'natural' and as others do I can check my bubble to prevent canting, but in certain conditions I do close the non scope eye to range find. Usually only when the target is in deep shadow, but preferentially I range with both open, and will almost always fine tune the focus with both open.

I'm only very marginally right eye dominant and if I'm on the plink I do occasionally find I switch to my left eye and I start to lose the sight picture but only if I've been continuously looking through the scope for 10 -15 minutes. In competition that never happens, probably because even on a really fast moving club league there's at least 3 or 4 minutes between each lane giving my dominant eye a bit of a rest.

If you really struggle with both eyes open there's a possibility you're not using your dominant eye.

17. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

I wouldn't like to do the eye patch, to self conscious.
    Two things are happening.......well three really.
    One, I want me posts up to look into sales....he he
    Two, after a long training session, my closed eye is blurry for quite a while after shooting, sometimes giving me a bad head and having to wait to be able to drive.
    I know don't shoot so much, but try not shooting when at the range with limited practice time.
    Three, while larking about with parallex, I found a better clearer sett up with both eyes open than with one, and brighter.
    It would take quite a bit of training as have shot a long time with one closed.
    Wonder how many past champions have shot with one or both eyes, or maybe it doesn't Matter.

18. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

Monty.....
    They can swop from one dominance to the other, that was why I made the slip on leather blanking lug while I was experimenting. And can just slide out out of the way when been the subject of the jokes.

19. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Yes, that's right. I'm only a fraction away from being ambi sighted so I guess it's just my brain trying to share the load between both eyes as soon as my right eye starts to get tired given there's so little difference between them. Not a problem in comps, just during longish plinking sessions.

Adam likes this.
  20. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    @Monty, my experience is very similar. I can fool the classic eye dominance tests at will. e.g. "look at a distant object then try to cover the object with your thumb". I am aware of two images of my thumb and I just concentrate on the image I want, and the other fades into the background a little, but doesn't disappear. If I don't give myself time to choose, so it's a quick preference test, I've found it will often depend on which hand I'm using.

I have found like you, while concentrating on rangefinding, initally the left eye zones out a bit, but sometimes when staring hard, like when the target area is dark and lacks contrast, I find myself staring at my shooting glove and for an instant I feel slightly irritated that it's obscuring the target! :oops:

Monty likes this.