BORED with mini kills ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by holly, Jun 7, 2011.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    I am getting bored with mini kills already and the season is young . just to many of em . how about lowering the amount of targets to 40 . no mini kills , just 40 bloody hard targets . that way we could get three groups in with a squeeze ??? HOLY:):D

2. Steve

Steve Member

I was thinking this the other day,for me mini kills do nothing to test or push your kit,they only come into play when its windy.Looking at scores and how many people are only missing 1 or 2 shots due to better guns scopes,is it time to increase the maximum distance to 65/75 yds.I shoot cherry tomatoes at 90yds for a bit of fun at my mum and dads with my Dommi so they are well capable,I'm not saying go that far as you need a couple of shots to get the wind right,but maybe a few on a course would sort the close scores out.Just a thought.I know I'd get much more satisfaction hitting a 40mm kill at 75yds than a 15mm reducer at 25yds

3. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Funny that...I once heard Holly say he managed to hit a beef tomato at 35 yards once....:D

4. Dale

Dale Active Member

Well, pretty much the rest of the FT world outside the UK use them, so if this country wants to stay on top of the game get used to them.

If you're so good that you don't find them a challenge to shoot sitting then try shooting them kneeling or standing.

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    so 3 sessions?

if you have 20 lanes, 3 shooters, 4 sessions, that's 240 shooters. But each session would need about 2.5 hours, so by the time all done with spraying and stoppages, say 3 hours. That's a start at 9 am and finish at 6 pm if all goes well.

could work, but there's no slack if something goes wrong... everything needs to be very tight.

6. rich

rich Active Member

EEEk........

We can't allow that, Dale, our scores will go down..... :D:D:D

7. saddler

saddler Member

You sure? :D

8. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley

So these targets are so boring not hard enough that someone like you has cleared the GP's so far

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nope didnt think so :D

loops

9. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

6pm finish for 3 session but my maths makes it about a 9pm finish :rolleyes:

10. RobF

Club:
    say that again andy? :D

11. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    My Opinion for what it's worth

My opinion for what it's worth !

As for the mini kills , i think there a good mix in there now mini kills have been introduced don't forget that GP's are for everyone of all abilitys & grades and yet no one has cleared anything course wise as yet since this rule change ? , so far the wind has been favorable but again there's still misses on the face plates ? If the kits set up correctly then granted they are hitable.

The Euro's last year for example when it blew like a bastard ? now mini kills in that extremity of wind would have split the field wide open, the wind on the second day opened the leader board up anyway.

The use of mini kills abroad is purely based on the fact they don't have the wind / weather we have in the uk and yes they are trying to catch the big hitting British boys, like Mr Taylor , Calps , Ozzy, Gilly , Neil , James Woodhead , John Costello , Berty ,Doz, Connor etc etc etc etc ( sorry if i missed anyone)............ but there's nothing wrong with that ,hard competition is good it raises your game.

Extending GP's to 3 sessions ? not for me thanks, why 3 sessions anyway ?

And regarding is it easy ? No it's not in my opinion for what it's worth !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  12. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I was supposed to add 4 session in the middle of that sentence.

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Give it a chance.

Exactly my thought as well. Whilst I have only done 1 GP so far (a wedding and me mucking up the dates for the second :rolleyes: :D ), the course was interesting as there is more variation. Besides, how can you say you are bored with the mini kills after only 3 rounds.

My personal thoughts are that if you make it, as you say Holly, 40 hard targets would that not mean that majority of the targets would become long and then 'samey' apart from the differnt grounds. Whilst I can see you are wanting harder targets it could then have the reverse effect of driving shooters away as the courses would become similar again.

The introduction of the 15mm kills has added a different element to the mix, yes a small kill at sub 10 yds is blurry but then its a case of the shooter adapting for these. I have some thoughts that I will be forwarding to my regions rep in a month or two after I have completed a few more GP's

14. Dale

Dale Active Member

Are you being serious with this statement? :rolleyes:

15. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England

Probably not , as all that's mainly talked on here at the moment is b*%@*cks & people moaning ?

16. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Yes, I believe he is serious Dale, he was in Hungary as was I, with each 50 target course containing 50% mini kills i.e. 25 mini kills and they were used in both standing and kneeling.

The reason we were told is that they don't experience wind deep in the Hungarian forests which was true, on the second day I dinked three 55yrd targets for a 47, I gave outside edge and split same edge (no wind):eek: Courses would have been clearered wholesale.
    Back in 2003 in germany the story was the same, deep coniferous forest no wind, loads of mini kills.

Put 25 mini kills, 8 or so 15mm the rest 25mm and use them in discipline lanes on last years Europeans course and 12 ex 50 would be decent shooting for AA:eek:

17. RobF

Club:
    I'd agree that Hungary and Spain have been less windy than i'd say the UK is...

In Hungary I lost more to standers and errors than I did sitters, and i was never more than 1/2 out the kill, and probably in for most shots. I think the same was true in Euskadi.

18. Jon

Jon Member

I got p..ed off with them after 4 lanes on first GP and did hit them, just boring. 1 in every 4 shots 'has to be' less than 35 yards just on the small kill rule alone excluding any others slapped out.
    If i want to shoot that range i would do at home but never have done or ever will do.

FT GP series has took a backwards this year with too many rules. What should have been done is scrap max distances on the type of shot to raise the game. This being done by course builders at their discretion making the most of the available ground! That s the enjoyment after all what do we do FT for?

Theres many countries using 6ft/lb rifles, hence the use of mini kills.

I dont have a problem with minis as such, now if they were at decent ranges to make what FT is about then yes.

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Moaning ?

Not moaning . moaning is when you have a go with nothing to add in it's place . constructive criticism it is called . why three details . with 40 shots you could use two to a lane . make it much faster ( with proper marshaling ) and i think better . first detail at 9 .00 clock . second at 11.00 . third at 1.00 ( roughly ) should all be finished by three . prize giving and gone . cannot be bad ??? HOLLY:):D
    Andy . course it would be hard . supposed to be hard .

20. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    A voice of sense, courses are about finding a balance, too easy and people get bored, too hard and they get bored of hitting nothing, end result they loose interest and find something else to do. As for the courses so far this year apart from maybe a few minor issues they have been fine. Also A thought, if courses where too easy how come none have been cleared yet? ;)